Milk: $1.37 a gallon

The place to start if you are new!
tom4018
GURU
GURU

Re: Milk: $1.37 a gallon

Postby tom4018 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 am

Seen milk for less than a dollar here, eggs for a quarter.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 am

Nite Hawk wrote:I am going to kick a bee hive!
people chain smoke an drink like a fish and our taxes cover their medical costs... or at least here in Canada...
Firesweep-- you drink a gallon a week---eeek, when I had a cow milking and all the kids home, we often went through 1-2 gallons a DAY!

I've got 4 kids, and there are 7 of us in the house. We aren't quite 1-2 gallons a day, but are about 4-5 gallons a week.
1 x

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Nite Hawk wrote:I am going to kick a bee hive!
people chain smoke an drink like a fish and our taxes cover their medical costs... or at least here in Canada...
Firesweep-- you drink a gallon a week---eeek, when I had a cow milking and all the kids home, we often went through 1-2 gallons a DAY!

My son is the only one who drinks it. Now, I go through about a half gallon of half and half, and half gallon of heavy cream once a week.... cooking and stuff. I like the thicker stuff! lol

My dad used to go through buttermilk like it was water when we were kids. I never liked the stuff. I hardly see buttermilk for sale any more. Now, when eggnog comes out, we go through a gallon a day practically! Everyone loves that stuff!
1 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:21 am

I'm a heretic--I love skim milk. The other stuff is too rich and not refreshing. Once you get used to skim, you never go back; whole or 2% seems like sludge.
:hide:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 am

boondocks wrote:I'm a heretic--I love skim milk. The other stuff is too rich and not refreshing. Once you get used to skim, you never go back; whole or 2% seems like sludge.

you better hide under that chair!
My friend used to drink skim... he DID go back to at least 2% if not whole... Having coffee at his place was awful!.. try and get some whitening of your coffee and watery by the time you do.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 am

Nesikep wrote:
boondocks wrote:I'm a heretic--I love skim milk. The other stuff is too rich and not refreshing. Once you get used to skim, you never go back; whole or 2% seems like sludge.

you better hide under that chair!
My friend used to drink skim... he DID go back to at least 2% if not whole... Having coffee at his place was awful!.. try and get some whitening of your coffee and watery by the time you do.

I solve that by not being a coffee drinker! More sacrilege!!!! :D
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:24 am

guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.
0 x

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:03 pm

The flavor of cows milk varies from cow to cow, seems IMO if you get a high protein cow, their milk is not as sweet as a higher butterfat content cow, and not all that "cream" on a gallon is cream, it is SNF.
Solids non fat. You can always skim some of the solids off.
If you get a real sweet flavored cow's milk, you wont want to go back to the "chalk water" milk from the store...
There is more to milk than just drinking milk- cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt etc..
1 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:11 pm

ddd75 wrote:guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

Is this below the radar? Just curious.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Nite Hawk wrote:The flavor of cows milk varies from cow to cow, seems IMO if you get a high protein cow, their milk is not as sweet as a higher butterfat content cow, and not all that "cream" on a gallon is cream, it is SNF.
Solids non fat. You can always skim some of the solids off.
If you get a real sweet flavored cow's milk, you wont want to go back to the "chalk water" milk from the store...
There is more to milk than just drinking milk- cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt etc..

Many of these are made from milk that doesn't have the quality to be sold as Grade A Milk. Might be too hot when it gets to the creamery, high bacteria count, high somatic cell count...other reasons.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
ddd75 wrote:guy down the road is milking like 8 or 10 cows, and is all setup to sell to individuals. i think he's selling it for 3 or 4 dollars / gallon.

no it's legal
0 x

Nite Hawk
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Nite Hawk » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 pm

I am talking homemade...
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:41 am

ddd75 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

no it's legal

Didn't think so but isn't there some legislation in the works that would allow you guys to sell shares? We can't do shares. Our department of agriculture even has a SWAT team they use to bust whole milk sales. Ridiculous.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 am

Jogeephus wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:

no it's legal

Didn't think so but isn't there some legislation in the works that would allow you guys to sell shares? We can't do shares. Our department of agriculture even has a SWAT team they use to bust whole milk sales. Ridiculous.

i'm in ohio now. I'm not sure about milk sales. This guy does pasteurize it but leaves the cream in it or something. He's all legit and goes to all the farmers markets.
I haven't researched it lately but i know we can do up to 10,000 chickens a year and butcher them to sell w/o permits or inspections. So i'm going to try to start raising some to sell. Need to research to make sure they haven't changed anything yet.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:03 am

ddd75 wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
ddd75 wrote:no it's legal

i'm in ohio now. I'm not sure about milk sales. This guy does pasteurize it but leaves the cream in it or something. He's all legit and goes to all the farmers markets.
I haven't researched it lately but i know we can do up to 10,000 chickens a year and butcher them to sell w/o permits or inspections. So i'm going to try to start raising some to sell. Need to research to make sure they haven't changed anything yet.

In Ohio you can sell milk by shares. Sell of raw milk for human consumption is illegal in Kentucky. Here is a link.

https://milk.procon.org/view.resource.p ... eID=005192
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”