Year old calf with scours

Let us know who you are.
Roger57
Beginner
Beginner

Year old calf with scours

Postby Roger57 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:58 pm

I have a calf born last October I weaned In May (7 months old). She was doing fine until a week or so ago when I noticed she had the scours and losing weight. I wormed her at weaning and again after noticing her weight loss. I put her in the lot feeding pellets and hay along with Aureomycin since. Still no change. Finally gave her a shot of LA200 2 days ago. Still no change. Any ideas how to stop the scours?
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Year old calf with scours

Postby cowgirl8 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Take a stool sample to your vet..Cost very little to have it tested. There are some very resistant stomach worms these calves get... But, could be something else. A stool test is the only way to find out.....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:08 pm

Roger57 wrote:I have a calf born last October I weaned In May (7 months old). She was doing fine until a week or so ago when I noticed she had the scours and losing weight. I wormed her at weaning and again after noticing her weight loss. I put her in the lot feeding pellets and hay along with Aureomycin since. Still no change. Finally gave her a shot of LA200 2 days ago. Still no change. Any ideas how to stop the scours?

Do you have acorns? It's time that some eat enough acorns to cause problems.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 pm

Coccidiosis causes scours under 13 months of age, so it's possible, but only outside chance at 1 year.
0 x

Roger57
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Roger57 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:36 am

Very few acorns in the pasture where she is. Her scours are like water and not getting any better.
0 x

Roger57
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Roger57 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 am

Well, after checking her this morning, I believe she may be getting a little better. I will continue keeping hay in front of her and see what happens. Hopefully the hay will tighten her bowels.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

I'd scoop up some of her poop and take it to a vet just to make sure as to why she's scoured.. Doesn't cost much and if its anything that needs treating, the vet will give you what you need....
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Roger57
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Roger57 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:07 pm

Good idea. I will take some to my vet.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”