what bit to easily drill 3/8 or 1/2" holes in about 80 tires?

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Re: what bit to easily drill 3/8 or 1/2" holes in about 80 tires?

Postby D2Cat » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:41 pm

Thought you said you were going to cover them with dirt. If you use hair pins made out of rebar, going from the outside one one tire to the next, then fill the tires with dirt or gravel you will have a good base.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 pm

D2Cat wrote:Thought you said you were going to cover them with dirt. If you use hair pins made out of rebar, going from the outside one one tire to the next, then fill the tires with dirt or gravel you will have a good base.

Well, I didn't 'exactly' say that..I said "(Texas Environmental Quality Board allows this use as long as the tires are covered with soil)".

But yeah, sure...that's what I'm gonna do, just as soon as find a place on this low lying piece of property (that's already one big hole), to dig a deeper hole and get some dirt.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:15 am

greybeard wrote:
D2Cat wrote:Thought you said you were going to cover them with dirt. If you use hair pins made out of rebar, going from the outside one one tire to the next, then fill the tires with dirt or gravel you will have a good base.

Well, I didn't 'exactly' say that..I said "(Texas Environmental Quality Board allows this use as long as the tires are covered with soil)".

But yeah, sure...that's what I'm gonna do, just as soon as find a place on this low lying piece of property (that's already one big hole), to dig a deeper hole and get some dirt.

Maybe I’d cable them and pin them down in that case. Could take pressure off your anchors.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

mayesfarm
Beginner
Beginner

Postby mayesfarm » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm

1/2 in Dewalt cobalt pilot point bits at Lowes . I have used them on steel belted tire treads to put 3/8 bolts through . You had better have a good drill !
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Just cut a slit about 3 " on each side , cut in direction of tread. A screwdriver will spread slit enough to thread Cable
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby saltbranch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:05 pm

greybeard wrote:I need to drill 2 holes each in about 80 car/light truck tires so I can run some cable thru them to hold 2 lines of tires in place on the back side of my dam that suffered some serious erosion/washouts when the water ran over the dam. Some are steel belted--some not steel belted.
I don't want to use a hole saw because I'd have to punch the core out of the bit after every hole drilled.
Got plenty of spade bits and some helix twist bits. Any other options?

Also, how long will 3/8" galvanized cable last covered with soil?

Not even sure it's going to help much, but at the very least will provide me a legal way to not have to haul tires to the disposal place at $4-$7 fee each. (Texas Environmental Quality Board allows this use as long as the tires are covered with soil) The cables will be anchored off to existing cross tie posts in the fence and to 10" diameter pine trees that runs along the top rear of the dam.

Any thoughts/suggestions on this plan or the bits?

I have no personal experience to verify this yet. Many of the youtube vids I have been watching about making tire water troughs, all recommend speedbore bits to drill through the tire. Never knew those existed but I will be buying some when my project starts.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”