Range cubes

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Range cubes

Postby kilroy60 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:52 am

So, can the range cubes be a replacement for protein tubs? Or, do any of you use both?
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 am

kilroy60 wrote:So, can the range cubes be a replacement for protein tubs? Or, do any of you use both?

Yes.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
kilroy60 wrote:So, can the range cubes be a replacement for protein tubs? Or, do any of you use both?

Yes.

And yes.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes and at about 1/3 of the price.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I’ve never seen range cubes for sale around here. The local TSC was supposed to order me in a few bags to try over a year ago, after they were done looking at me like I had three heads and I showed them on the website. They never called to say they were in and when I stopped in a month later nobody knew what I was talking about, again. Local feed store had heard of them but doesn’t carry them. I use tubs. People can say what they want about them being expensive but they are easy and they work. They only seem to hit them hard when they need it, which makes them even more worth it. How many are feeding cubes more than is really needed?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Cucumber35 wrote:I’ve never seen range cubes for sale around here. The local TSC was supposed to order me in a few bags to try over a year ago, after they were done looking at me like I had three heads and I showed them on the website. They never called to say they were in and when I stopped in a month later nobody knew what I was talking about, again. Local feed store had heard of them but doesn’t carry them. I use tubs. People can say what they want about them being expensive but they are easy and they work. They only seem to hit them hard when they need it, which makes them even more worth it. How many are feeding cubes more than is really needed?

How many are feeding tubs at "more than is really needed" and how do you know how much is needed. If they are there they will eat them whether they need them or not. And at $800--1,000 a ton I can't stand to feed anything free choice except hay and it's been tested. I often wonder if cattle get enough supplementation from tubs. Assuming consumption of 1 lb. per head per day that's not much protein...25 to .35 lbs. per head per day. Double the intake and it's still not much.
1 x

Cucumber35
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Cucumber35 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Not saying one way or another is wrong, just seems like a lot of responses on here saying they feed cubes as more of a treat or incentive to make handling easier than a supplement. Which I totally understand, I use a bucket of steer feed here or there for the same purpose. Just seems like if you’re putting cubes out every week or however, the cows are going to eat them like candy sure, but do they really need the nutritional supplement? Maybe they would eat the tubs too much also but that’s not my experience. I’m aware they aren’t considered the most economical but they seem to fill in the gap as long as it’s not too large. If I had access to cubes I’d probably try them too. If I had really poor hay I’d certainly look into another way to supplement. I’m currently feeding some decent second cutting hay and almost 50 head haven’t finished a 200lb tub in a month. Before I was steadily feeding hay and the pastures were slowing up, they were easily consuming double that. My thought is they provide an easy solution to bridge any small gaps in nutrition. They might not always need it but it’s there if they do. I generally have good enough hay that they would stay in fair condition on that alone. I like the peace of mind knowing that if they need a little more it’s there. If I had lousy hay, I’d think there are better ways to supplement than tubs or range cubes. Just another tool in the box. Wish cubes was an option for me, seems most people on here use them in one way or another.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:23 am

We have a product put up by a local coop called msg....wheat mids, soy hulls and corn gluten mostly....14% protein....
I give heifers about 2 lbs per day with grass.
AI group gets about a lb per head per day for thirty days setup and thru AI breeding.
When they first made it it was pretty inexpensive....now it is about 10.00 per bag...
I feed it in a trough and the fed animals come to call every night.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:29 am

Really need a sharp pencil when supplementing cattle.
You can turn them from red working cattle to blue welfare cattle quick.
There are products out there to hook the cattlemen not the cattle.
Tubs are one of them at 800 to 900 a ton will take the profits out quickly.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:58 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Really need a sharp pencil when supplementing cattle.

I agree....
I only supplement pre breeding for the AI group....
AND only thru the AI period.
my rationale is if I am going to spend the money on synchrony and semen and breeding expense then I don't want nutrition to be the missing factor in conception....

The feed is as much a management tool to get them to come to the barn every night as it is a supplement.

th AI breeding group is still grazing as of today and should still have grass for another week or so.... :cowboy:
Last edited by pdfangus on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:47 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Really need a sharp pencil when supplementing cattle.

There's a lot of blue cattle in the world.

20% cubes aren't really a protein supplement, they're an energy supplement. You have to get closer to 30% before your getting an actual protein supplement that will encourage consumption of low protein forage or hay.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:36 pm

pdfangus wrote:We have a product put up by a local coop called msg....wheat mids, soy hulls and corn gluten mostly....14% protein....
I give heifers about 2 lbs per day with grass.
AI group gets about a lb per head per day for thirty days setup and thru AI breeding.
When they first made it it was pretty inexpensive....now it is about 10.00 per bag...
I feed it in a trough and the fed animals come to call every night.

First I've heard of midds being added to the mix but they are an excellent ingredient. A few companies have been mixing soyhull pellets and pelleted CGF for years and selling it. Works ok and usually very reasonably priced. Never tried it myself.
0 x

Return to “Feedyard Board”