Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Swiss say you can't put live lobsters in boiling water any more

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:27 pm

Jogeephus wrote:The Swiss would do themselves good to read Peter Tompkins book The Secret Life of Plants where he proves that plants have sentience and can communicate with one another. After reading this book one would have to be pretty deranged to choose to be a vegetarian or vegan because this cruel life's choice demands the death of so many to sustain the one.

This leads to the obvious question as to whether it is more humane to kill one animal to provide days if not months of subsistence or to kill thousands for just one bland meal. Personally, I would rather see one cow suffer to fill my plate for months than thousands of poor oat babies being viciously aborted to fill a bowl with oatmeal that tastes like crap. The reason it tastes like crap is due to the stress they endure during the butchering process resulting in dark cutter oats. Dark cutting oats like beef is pretty poor eating.

As for the lobster, its the same only on a lower scale being it is related to the spider and all spiders should be killed with extreme prejudice.

In summary, we should all eat beef as it is the most responsible humane food choice.

I totally concur with you on spiders.
Brown recluse got my mind right on spiders over 50 years ago.
0 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:30 pm

zirlottkim wrote:Now if someone would come up with a less brutal way to harvest cabbage. I mean really, cutting their head off?? Brutal society we live in.

:lol:
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:The Swiss would do themselves good to read Peter Tompkins book The Secret Life of Plants where he proves that plants have sentience and can communicate with one another. After reading this book one would have to be pretty deranged to choose to be a vegetarian or vegan because this cruel life's choice demands the death of so many to sustain the one.

This leads to the obvious question as to whether it is more humane to kill one animal to provide days if not months of subsistence or to kill thousands for just one bland meal. Personally, I would rather see one cow suffer to fill my plate for months than thousands of poor oat babies being viciously aborted to fill a bowl with oatmeal that tastes like crap. The reason it tastes like crap is due to the stress they endure during the butchering process resulting in dark cutter oats. Dark cutting oats like beef is pretty poor eating.

As for the lobster, its the same only on a lower scale being it is related to the spider and all spiders should be killed with extreme prejudice.

In summary, we should all eat beef as it is the most responsible humane food choice.

I totally concur with you on spiders.
Brown recluse got my mind right on spiders over 50 years ago.
been there,done that, got the scar....
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:25 pm

zirlottkim wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Just freeze them then boil them.

That is what we do with shrimp. Quick bath in 35 degree water first, just to numb their senses so they won't feel the freezer burn. All for the least pain possible. Now if someone would come up with a less brutal way to harvest cabbage. I mean really, cutting their head off?? Brutal society we live in.

Come on "Z"...surely you don't think we should pull them up by their root. :shock:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:07 pm

I wonder if the lobsters 'stun' their prey (crabs, shrimp, other lobsters, slow fish..) before they eat them?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:09 pm

TexasBred wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Just freeze them then boil them.

That is what we do with shrimp. Quick bath in 35 degree water first, just to numb their senses so they won't feel the freezer burn. All for the least pain possible. Now if someone would come up with a less brutal way to harvest cabbage. I mean really, cutting their head off?? Brutal society we live in.

Come on "Z"...surely you don't think we should pull them up by their root. :shock:

Like carrots?
Poor defenseless little things........Pretty sure I've heard them scream as the little hair roots were pulled loose too.
Nature's a be nice.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:26 pm

HSTexas wrote:
horses are livestock , there is nothing wrong with eating them.

In America, and especially Texas, we do not eat horses, we ride them. We eat beef.

If you were starving, I can understand if you eat a horse.

Where in the United States can you buy horse meat?
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:37 pm

Can't even kill horses in the US unless they finally got the permits for the plant. They get shipped to Canada or Mexico or out on some ship or something. Better to let them die of old age and all the bad dispositioned ones just hang around and be a nusiance (sp?) animal. But hours and hours on trucks isn't cruel to them. Better to put a few thousand down and be able to better take care of the good ones. I like horses, but they are no different than cattle or any other animal.... there are good ones and ones that need to be "culled".
3 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:41 pm

During WWII a lot of city folks that thought they were eating beef really were eating horse. You can;t buy it in the states but you can butcher it yourself. Friend of mine had a big 4th of July barbque every year. Only meat was horse and mule. Wrapped in burlap and cooked in the ground.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

HSTexas
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby HSTexas » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:43 pm

Bullitt wrote:
HSTexas wrote:
horses are livestock , there is nothing wrong with eating them.

In America, and especially Texas, we do not eat horses, we ride them. We eat beef.

If you were starving, I can understand if you eat a horse.

Where in the United States can you buy horse meat?

You can usually get plenty for free , you just tell them you have a rescue , kill skin and have a Texas BBQ . After a couple beers people don't care what it is as long as its good.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:13 pm

0 x

Covet Not!

zirlottkim
Rancher
Rancher

Postby zirlottkim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 pm

I have a friend from Nicaragua that ate monkey. He and his friends were trekking through the jungle to escape Communist rule. They were starving. I asked how it was. His response, "Well, we were hungry". Pretty sure their method of killing it would not be approved of by the Swiss.
0 x

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:53 pm

dun wrote:
callmefence wrote:I've never ate horse. Sure like to try it.
A horse just looks like it be good eating.

It has a stringier texture then beef more like moose meat. Mule meat was referred to missouri moose when I was younger and horses fell into the same category

This forum has evolved.........from unacceptable to serve goat, to describing the texture of Mr. Ed at an Independence Day gathering. That's okay; I see this as a positive for the future of CT.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=73586&hilit=Goat#p870146
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am

HSTexas wrote:
You can usually get plenty for free , you just tell them you have a rescue , kill skin and have a Texas BBQ . After a couple beers people don't care what it is as long as its good.

Are you saying you butcher the horse yourself?

I asked where you can buy horse meat in the United States. I do not know of any restaurant that serves horse meat or market that sells horse meat.

If you barbecue a horse in Texas they would probably run you out of the state.
0 x

Bullitt
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bullitt » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:09 am

farmerjan wrote:
I like horses, but they are no different than cattle or any other animal.... there are good ones and ones that need to be "culled".

I thought it was illegal to slaughter horses for meat in the United States. So, based on the law, horses are not just like cattle.

Do you eat your dog, cat, or any other animal, since there is no difference in any animal?

Culturally it is not okay to eat horses in the United States, just like it is not alright to eat dogs or cats.

I will say again, I do not trust anyone who knowingly eats horse meat unless that person is in a desperate situation.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”