Getting a flatbed installed next week

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Getting a flatbed installed next week

Postby saltbranch » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:16 pm

I am finally getting a flatbed installed on my 13' F250 next week. Its one made for the single wheel trucks. I am adding load lights to the rear and side on the headache rack. The head ache rack is not the rounded corner style, I am going with the post style I guess its called. So you can headache longer material and haul it. I am adding atleast 1 each-30 to 36" box. I am hoping to add more but that will be determined once the bed is on and see what kind of room is available. All lights on the bed are going to be LED. The rear hitch will either stay stock or be built into the bed, again bed fitment will determine. I am going with the Cadet Western style bed. So any options you add? Any must haves?
Thanks
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Re: Getting a flatbed installed next week

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:54 am

saltbranch wrote:I am finally getting a flatbed installed on my 13' F250 next week. Its one made for the single wheel trucks. I am adding load lights to the rear and side on the headache rack. The head ache rack is not the rounded corner style, I am going with the post style I guess its called. So you can headache longer material and haul it. I am adding atleast 1 each-30 to 36" box. I am hoping to add more but that will be determined once the bed is on and see what kind of room is available. All lights on the bed are going to be LED. The rear hitch will either stay stock or be built into the bed, again bed fitment will determine. I am going with the Cadet Western style bed. So any options you add? Any must haves?
Thanks

My recommendation would be to have it wired by a professional, not the bed installer. There are "plug and play" harness' available, but they all require a little bit of hard wiring. If the installer isn't soldering and shrink wrapping, you will have problems in a year or two. Everyone around here charges $700-$1000, so we put our own on. We've got it down to just a few hours to install one. I'm sure it's not OSHA approved, but set the brake and put the truck in reverse for load lights. LED backup lights are plenty bright! Congrats on your purchase.....You'll never go back to a pickup bed. :nod:
1 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:08 am

Farm nailed the biggest problem.
Out of 11 flatbeds I've had installed EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. Eventually had wiring problems. Have the harness put in conduit. And all connections soldered .
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:15 pm

Flatbeds should be a factory option. I agree on the install the wiring can be a pain. Make sure the shop has done one before. Some of the newer trucks with all the sensors and cameras can really complicated.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:45 pm

Lucky wrote:Flatbeds should be a factory option. I agree on the install the wiring can be a pain. Make sure the shop has done one before. Some of the newer trucks with all the sensors and cameras can really complicated.

I’ve got a bed coming next week for the Chevy we picked up last fall. It has a backup camera in the tailgate, and I haven’t researched anything about moving it yet. I’m hoping it’s not too difficult to get sorted out.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:51 pm

:?
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
Lucky wrote:Flatbeds should be a factory option. I agree on the install the wiring can be a pain. Make sure the shop has done one before. Some of the newer trucks with all the sensors and cameras can really complicated.

I’ve got a bed coming next week for the Chevy we picked up last fall. It has a backup camera in the tailgate, and I haven’t researched anything about moving it yet. I’m hoping it’s not too difficult to get sorted out.

Ford has what is called "customer placed camera" that is for this. You might check to see if Chevy offers the same thing.
0 x
There is no education in the second kick of a mule.

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:53 pm

We moved the backup camera on our Ram from the regular bed to the flatbed when we installed it. Not too complicated, hardest part was getting all the wiring for it out of the tailgate. After that just plug the wiring back into the truck, and drill a hole in the flatbed to mount the camera to. Really nice for backing up to trailers.
1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:45 am

fence_it wrote:

We moved the backup camera on our Ram from the regular bed to the flatbed when we installed it. Not too complicated, hardest part was getting all the wiring for it out of the tailgate. After that just plug the wiring back into the truck, and drill a hole in the flatbed to mount the camera to. Really nice for backing up to trailers.

I bought a rolling chassis. I got the camera and harness in a bag. We put the truck straight to work. One rainy day we backed it up in the shop to install the camera. When they put the bed on they got the truck side of the harness mashed between the frame and the bed. :bang:
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 am

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

I bought a rolling chassis. I got the camera and harness in a bag. We put the truck straight to work. One rainy day we backed it up in the shop to install the camera. When they put the bed on they got the truck side of the harness mashed between the frame and the bed. :bang:

That's exactly why I put them on myself. The bag that came with my Ram cab and chassis was a little scary to look in......That was a lot of wires. :lol:
0 x

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:17 pm

callmefence wrote:
fence_it wrote:

We set ours on 1" spacers. Did they set your bed on the truck frame?
0 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

farmboy80
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby farmboy80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:49 am

Anyone got their new beds on? Any pictures of them?
0 x
God, Family, Friends, Cattle. The order of the last two is debatable!

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:05 pm

1 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:38 pm

2 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:22 pm

dieselbeef wrote:Image

Looks real mean.

Ken
0 x

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand