Round bales stored outside

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Farmgirl
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Round bales stored outside

Postby Farmgirl » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:18 am

Rafter S wrote:Wonder what kind of creatures you could get living under those bales like that?

Yep, ask me how I know!

Farmgirl
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:29 pm

herofan wrote:For those of you who store round bales outside for a season, do you put them directly on the ground or put them on something to avoid direct contact?

Mine are straight on the ground use to do tires and pallets but too much work taking up rotted broken pallets and tires were just a pain. I know for sure rats love hay stacked outside provides entertainment and target practice if you put a hose in the hole and watch them run out the other hole and shoot them.
1 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:04 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:We put ours on pallets, two pallets for every three bales. When we feed them, the bottom looks just like when it was baled, no spoilage

Me too. Local feed store sells them for $2.25 each. Can't buy anything for that price that works. I find them easy to use and last a very long time and work even when half rotted away.

I stack end butted too and try to find high ground or rock (laid for other purposes) for stacking. Course when using pallets it doesn't matter.
0 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:27 am

This is from the Univ. of Mo.

" The modern baler has electric or hydraulic twine tie and we use tractors with cabs making it very easy and comfortable to make a uniform 4 inch twine spacing across the bale. From work done at FSRC in the late 1980's, we found that with hay that was approximately 30-40% legume and 60-70% grass, a twine tied bale with less than 4 inch twine spacing had the same storage characteristics as net wrap bales stored indoors or outdoors. In either case, storage loss was consistently less than 4% total dry matter with no difference in crude protein and ADF between the outer 2 inch layer and the inner 18 inches."

http://courses.missouristate.edu/WestonWalker/AGA375_Forages/Forage%20Mgmt/Lesson%205/..%5C%5CReferences%5C%5C1Guides%5C%5C5Grazing%5C%5C7Nutrition%5C%5CForageSystemsv4n3LowCostHayStorage.htm
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:44 pm

D2Cat wrote:This is from the Univ. of Mo.

" The modern baler has electric or hydraulic twine tie and we use tractors with cabs making it very easy and comfortable to make a uniform 4 inch twine spacing across the bale. From work done at FSRC in the late 1980's, we found that with hay that was approximately 30-40% legume and 60-70% grass, a twine tied bale with less than 4 inch twine spacing had the same storage characteristics as net wrap bales stored indoors or outdoors. In either case, storage loss was consistently less than 4% total dry matter with no difference in crude protein and ADF between the outer 2 inch layer and the inner 18 inches."

http://courses.missouristate.edu/WestonWalker/AGA375_Forages/Forage%20Mgmt/Lesson%205/..%5C%5CReferences%5C%5C1Guides%5C%5C5Grazing%5C%5C7Nutrition%5C%5CForageSystemsv4n3LowCostHayStorage.htm

Time has sure proved those studies wrong.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:51 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:
herofan wrote:For those of you who store round bales outside for a season, do you put them directly on the ground or put them on something to avoid direct contact?

Mine are straight on the ground use to do tires and pallets but too much work taking up rotted broken pallets and tires were just a pain. I know for sure rats love hay stacked outside provides entertainment and target practice if you put a hose in the hole and watch them run out the other hole and shoot them.

Same here. I've done cross ties, tires and pallets. I'm back to just setting them on the ground. Pallets were a really bad idea. Their full of nails.... :dunce:
3 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:25 pm

Stored mine outside in a one over two triangle, end to end, then tarped. The ends were weathered but everything else looked great. My small barn will hold 28 rounds so as that emptied, I'd untarp a row and move them into the barn on a dry day. That way I only had to mess with the tarp twice, once when covering and once when uncovering. Worked great in our northern winter!
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Year's ago we tarped triangle stack. Disaster. Heavy snow, then melting turned to icy/snow. Would have to fight with it to get it opened up. Never again. Ours stays in great shape just stacked in a row.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:28 pm

We usually have over 2000 bales stored, on ground, flat sides pushed tight together and round sides spaced apart. We've fed hay years old with very little spoilage...No way no how could be put something under every one. We just make sure they don't stand in water....
1 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 pm

I’ve been kicking around the idea of wrapping what dry hay I would expect to keep over. I think it could be done for not much over a dollar a bale. I wish my wrapper was capable of doing a 68” or so bale.
0 x

Texasmark
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Texasmark » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:38 pm

On something when possible and positioned for maximum runoff. This year I am cleaning out an old barn to store some rye coming off this spring. Using what used to be my loafing sheds for the same thing. Rye doesn't weather very well and I lost a bunch last year. Coastal bermuda does best; packs tight.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”