Angus x Holstein bottle calves ????

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Angus x Holstein bottle calves ????

Postby Lrj505 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:42 pm

I can get half Angus Half Holstein bull calves from a dairy near by for $60 dollars. My question is how well does the cross do at the sale ? The calves are black . And does anyone have experience with this cross or know how bad of any they are docked at sale barn ? My plan is to band them , maybe implant and take them to sale before 500 pounds. Thanks
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus x Holstein bottle calves ????

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:54 pm

They will sell as the cross they are but should grow well. Look at how that cross sellks in your area to get an idea of how much dock you will get
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:58 pm

$60 is cheap, they grow very well and sell well here.... better than holsteins, but of course less than angus.
You can view it as a premium over holsteins or a dock vs angus. At $60 your glass is half full (or better)
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:11 am

I gave .91 for a 255 Lb Holstein angus cross this week.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Lrj505
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lrj505 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 am

My dad had Holsteins bottle calves when I was a kid. Haven’t raised one since. Any advice on keeping them alive ? And when to wean ? I can get fresh jersey milk for $2.50 a gallon I was thinking of throwing some of that in the mix with replacer . WhT do you guys think?
0 x

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 am

Sold a 500 lb steer a couple weeks ago for 70¢ a lb. Maybe a small margin if you can keep them alive.
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:13 am

RanchMan90 wrote:Sold a 500 lb steer a couple weeks ago for 70¢ a lb. Maybe a small margin if you can keep them alive.

They have been $1/lb here. A few local farmers buy 400 to 500 pounders and feed them shell corn.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:16 am

Lrj505 wrote:Any advice on keeping them alive ?

Immediate fresh cows milk
Calf Guard
Inforce 3
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:21 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
RanchMan90 wrote:Sold a 500 lb steer a couple weeks ago for 70¢ a lb. Maybe a small margin if you can keep them alive.

They have been $1/lb here. A few local farmers buy 400 to 500 pounders and feed them shell corn.

Could assemble a pot load here to send your way and make some serious $
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:47 am

Had a few of them back when I raised dairy calves. They won't sell near as good as a black beef calf, but should sell a little better than a straight Holstein. In my experience the older and bigger they get the better they will look. I was able to get heifer calves too at the time and kept a few for cows, they made good but big cows, and had several people say they would like to buy some of them if I ever had any to sell.
As for tips on keeping them alive, the most important thing is that the dairy makes sure that the calves receive adequate colostrum in a timely fashion. That is perhaps the thing that angers me the most in the cattle business is that some dairies disregard the calves especially the bull calves if they aren't raising them themselves. It's not all dairies and may be better now, but it was something to be aware of back then.
Then when you have the calves in your care it is imperative to quickly diagnose and treat illness. I found that dehydration resulting from scours either from disease or overfeeding was a danger. I would have electrolytes on hand as well as a scour medication such as Sustain 111 pills if needed, and be ready to go to a vet for an antibiotic at first signs of illness.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 am

Lrj505 wrote:Any advice on keeping them alive ? And when to wean ?
I can get fresh jersey milk for $2.50 a gallon I was thinking of throwing some of that in the mix with replacer .
What do you guys think?

Think clean, clean, clean. Baby bottles and milk buckets need to be cleaned and dried after every feeding.
Remember they're just babies, everything clean, clean, clean.
BluLite C is a good cheap electrolyte to have on hand, it mixes well in milk, use whenever any sign of dehydration.

Bacteria growth could be a problem bringing in off farm milk. I'd stick with a medicated 24/20 milk replacer.
18-20% textured calf starter available from week 1 along with clean fresh water. Wean at 6-7 weeks,
but they need to be eating at least 1 lb per day of +18% textured calf starter for 7-10 days before weaning.
No hay until 2 weeks after weaning. After they're eating 6-7 lbs/day of calf starter plus free choice hay switch them
to a 16% grain mix.

At $60 head are you sure they are angus x holstein and not Jersey x angus?
Holstein bull calves are $75 - $125 hd here.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Calf prices here are like a yo-yo....$60 is a fair price for some areas and low for others. Here it is a cheap price right now. Seen some bring $150 to $200. Honestly, if it wasn't for my nurse cows that I like, I wouldn't fool with them anymore. Used to be you could make something, but nowadays they just don't seem to do more than break even on costs, not counting your time. They will bring half of what an angus/all beef calf brings. Somewhere in the $.60 to $.90 range. It takes more feed to get them up to the 500 lb range than a beef calf and they seldom do much better than a holstein at the sale. Most show that lankiness and the "skinny butt" of the holstein.
Making sure they had colostrum is # 1 most important, cleanliness and paying attention to details, like drinking enthusiasm and scouring and just seeing if they are "bright eyed" and active.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:59 pm

Some farmer feeders here have quit feeding stein steers. I was told one of the major slaughter operations no longer takes them and so the fat market is now much less competitive here.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”