Running 2 bulls together

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Running 2 bulls together

Postby Lucky » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:06 am

Pulling bulls is a pain and they are hard to keep up. I run mine for 90 days but used to run them year round. Not sure which is better.
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 am

Bulls will be bulls lol. We have ran multiple bulls in the past with mixed results. My vet shared an interesting story with me last week. 3 bulls in same pasture to breed a large group of cows. When dna/genetics were done on the calves 95% were from bull 1. Bull #2 bred 5%. So from the production side Bull 2 and 3 did nothing. It's not know the age of the 3 bulls, but we're all straight BA.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:25 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:Can you put one bull then the other at 2-3 week intervals?Two that close in size are going to do a lot of fighting and possibly miss a chance.

One bull is going to hurt the other, if the bulls are bred to breed. Nature is cruel and doesn't give many second chances. I'm putting a young bull in with the two older bulls. My bulls are best buddies until you turn them in with the girls, then the fight is on whenever a cow comes into heat. Please report back and let us know what you figure out, I have this problem myself.

Just updating on what I did about the bulls. Think it was April 20, I put the bull that always semen tests the best in with all the heifers. Wanted to divide the heifers between the two but at time didn't have time to do it, 2 weeks later did get them split up with both bulls. Now the second bull has come up with a hurt leg so all heifers are back with the first bull.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:36 am

Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results. Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:57 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results. Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

Thanks, I hope not too, He is eating and appears healthy just hobbling around, so I'm thinking he slipped on or stepped on a rock. It's pretty rough in the field he has been in. I hope your bull does well, I like the idea of a Brangus bull. I would like my next bull to be a Brangus, but not many in this area, more Santa Gertrudis and Beefmasters for the available American breeds here.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Ky hills wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results. Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

Thanks, I hope not too, He is eating and appears healthy just hobbling around, so I'm thinking he slipped on or stepped on a rock. It's pretty rough in the field he has been in. I hope your bull does well, I like the idea of a Brangus bull. I would like my next bull to be a Brangus, but not many in this area, more Santa Gertrudis and Beefmasters for the available American breeds here.

Nothing wrong with taking a tax deductible road trip to bull shop.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Lucky wrote:Pulling bulls is a pain and they are hard to keep up. I run mine for 90 days but used to run them year round. Not sure which is better.

Rotate ?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote: Nothing wrong with taking a tax deductible road trip to bull shop.

Do wife loves bull shopping and steak dinners.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am

We run flush brothers together all the time. They live together from the day they get of the trailer until they go to slaughter. They have an established pecking order and it works. Where you get into trouble is if the bulls don't have the pecking order figured out and they have to constantly fight.
2 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 am

I'm running a Hereford, a Limousin, and a Red Angus together right now.

The Hereford is the oldest and it appears he's getting most of the "action".
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Angus love to fight I don't care if they get their tail handed too em by another. They just keep going at it..must come from Their Scottish heritage... :cowboy:
0 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Angus love to fight I don't care if they get their tail handed too em by another.
They just keep going at it...must come from Their Scottish heritage... :cowboy:

Then those Irish Blacks must be a real pain. :)
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:37 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results.
Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

Good Luck.
At local sale barn tested bull sale here in Minnesota last week.... 183 semen tested bulls sold
Top 3 sold for $2,050 and they were the only bulls to break through the $1900 barrier.
So on the plus side your new bull shouldn't be overpriced even if you get less than your hoped for price on the old.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Hopefully it's nothing serious. I'm bringing one of mine to the sale barn with his papers and recent BSE results.
Hopefully I'll get a good down payment out of him for my new yearling Brangus bull.

Good Luck.
At local sale barn tested bull sale here in Minnesota last week.... 183 semen tested bulls sold
Top 3 sold for $2,050 and they were the only bulls to break through the $1900 barrier.
So on the plus side your new bull shouldn't be overpriced even if you get less than your hoped for price on the old.

Not much better than kill price. Far cry from 2013? when I sold a 2250 lb Simmental bull for $2400+ to a kill buyer.
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:30 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:

Good Luck.

Not much better than kill price. Far cry from 2013? when I sold a 2250 lb Simmental bull for $2400+ to a kill buyer.

I love your signature, makes me laugh every time. I’m glad we share the same beliefs
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”