Reading calf feces?

Cattle problems.
mncowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Reading calf feces?

Postby mncowboy » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:17 pm

I've been curious when most folks treat calves for scours? As soon as poop is of thinner consistency or do you let the immune system try at it first and wait to treat after the calf has become depressed. I have been treating anytime the calf poop appears white or grey in color with a runny consistency (not watery- just runny.) and lately I've been wondering if I'm intervening too early. The calves still have plenty of vigor and energy to put up a pretty good struggle. I haven't seen any that have been depressed enough to where they've needed to be tube-fed or rehydrated. I have had a couple of calves that had blood passing through with the poop but the vast majority have been a runny white or grey green material, sometimes passing through while the calf is laying in the straw pack.
0 x
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - George Orwell

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Reading calf feces?

Postby Lucky » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:58 pm

I struggle with this too. Most of the time I think it's just milk scours from the grass greening up. I usually just watch them for a few days and if they get droopy eared or loose thier spunk intervene. I really think the best thing to do is let them get through it on thier own if possible.
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:00 pm

Whit or gray manure is usually just milk/corn scours. Unless they are getting bogged down by it, just let them be.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:15 am

If they aren't droopy or lethargic , we leave them alone, but check often . This is what killed my dad, trying to doctor a calf he thought was sick, but had enough energy and fight to cause him to overexert.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed May 02, 2018 2:20 am

Sorry to hear that, snoop. :(

I had to recently ask our vet for advice on this very question. We've been painstakingly moving our calving from summer to spring (which, as it turns out, is still actually winter up here). So we had one with loose light yellowish stools (I called it mustard consistency). Vet (experienced cow vet and cow owner) said that if calf is nursing, peeing, not lethargic, and diarrhea isn't too watery, to just watch very closely. But they can go downhill fast of course.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Wed May 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Many years ago, Dun posted a link/picture series, of calf poop and the various conditions which they indicated. From pics of "normal" stools to pics of stools showing various illnesses.

I wish I knew how to find it in the archives, as it was VERY helpful. At one time I had a link to it on my PC, but that got lost a couple of computers ago. :(
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Return to “Health & Nutrition”