Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Cattle problems.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Ticks - Ticks and more Ticks

Postby Bright Raven » Sun May 20, 2018 6:28 pm

TCRanch wrote:Depends on the year around here, some worse than others. During the drought we had a total tick infestation and I sprayed with Fly Ban about every 10 days, which made a huge difference. Pulled one off a cow under the shoulder today but most of the tics I've seen congregate around the anus (eweee!!) and I'm selective when it comes to pulling those off. I came down with a raging case of STARI disease (similar to Lyme but from the Lone Star tick) a few year ago and am now diligent about spraying myself with Off Outdoors, Deet 40. Dogs get Nexgard, haven't seen a single tick on them.

I was treated for Lyme disease about 2 years ago. Not on symptoms but I had the "Bullseye" around the site where I removed a tick. I also use NexGard on the dogs.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun May 20, 2018 6:37 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Depends on the year around here, some worse than others. During the drought we had a total tick infestation and I sprayed with Fly Ban about every 10 days, which made a huge difference. Pulled one off a cow under the shoulder today but most of the tics I've seen congregate around the anus (eweee!!) and I'm selective when it comes to pulling those off. I came down with a raging case of STARI disease (similar to Lyme but from the Lone Star tick) a few year ago and am now diligent about spraying myself with Off Outdoors, Deet 40. Dogs get Nexgard, haven't seen a single tick on them.

I was treated for Lyme disease about 2 years ago. Not on symptoms but I had the "Bullseye" around the site where I removed a tick. I also use NexGard on the dogs.

I remember when you were treated for Lyme. I wouldn't wish a tick born disease on anyone! At the time my husband and I had been together 21 years and that was the first time he saw me cry in pain. I was a good month past the bullseye (my ignorance) before I was diagnosed. Took a good 6 weeks to recover but I was so jacked up on pain meds & antibiotics it was basically a blur. Seriously, Deet 40 or the highest concentration you can get!
0 x

Tbrake
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Tbrake » Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 pm

I just bought a fimco 25 gal sprayer with the large 3.8 gpm pump just for spraying cows. I used diesel and permethrin. It soaks them down in a hurry, and you can do it from a distance. I pour some feed on the ground then back up and soak them down. Very fast and effective. One pasture has 50 pairs, took me let that 5 min. Money well spent
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

I remember when you were treated for Lyme. I wouldn't wish a tick born disease on anyone! At the time my husband and I had been together 21 years and that was the first time he saw me cry in pain. I was a good month past the bullseye (my ignorance) before I was diagnosed. Took a good 6 weeks to recover but I was so jacked up on pain meds & antibiotics it was basically a blur. Seriously, Deet 40 or the highest concentration you can get!

Sorry to hear you had STARI. I've read about that one. I've been treated for Lyme 3 times. The 1st was the worst. Like with oyur cows, most times I see the ticks arount the anus, just under the tail.

AdavantixII for the dog, I'm thinking of starting to use the Seresto collar. Two previous dogs were treated for Lyme.

I hate ticks!!!
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 am

My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .
Last year we gave our dogs some sort of pill that kept them from getting ticks and fleas.. I need to get them more now so they'll go all summer louse free again.
One of the new weekenders were freaking out because they brought their kids here for the weekend along with one of their friends. The friend got a tick. THey were all worried, called her parents to warn them and asked us what we did..... Told them, we spray off on our legs and if we get a tick we pull it off.. City people freak out over ticks.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon May 21, 2018 10:38 am

cowgirl8 wrote:My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .
Last year we gave our dogs some sort of pill that kept them from getting ticks and fleas.. I need to get them more now so they'll go all summer louse free again.
One of the new weekenders were freaking out because they brought their kids here for the weekend along with one of their friends. The friend got a tick. THey were all worried, called her parents to warn them and asked us what we did..... Told them, we spray off on our legs and if we get a tick we pull it off.. City people freak out over ticks.

that pill you give the dogs is some good stuff, I works good, I wish they made one like it for cattle and other stock, as far as that goes I wish they had one that humans could take. I take garlic pills and B complex and they both help a lot but I still get several ticks each year up to around 10 for this year
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 pm

The ticks are bad out here in SW OK this year. They've been bad for a few years now. I haven't noticed any on the cows so far though. Mine got Ivermectin this spring, plus ear tags and I have a cattle oiler that we purchased last year. The cattle didn't really use it much that first year, but they are wearing it out now. I think its doing the trick.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:11 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.

Up here, we have both kinds.They are bad this year.Son,grandson and I were working on baler on day and found 4 on us(them, not me) and my son had sprayed with a tick repellant spray on them before they came over.
Now,in Va,we have the Giant Hogweed in several places.Staunton,Isle of Wight and one other.Very bad stuff.Sap can cause burns to skin lasting ten days or more and ,if gotten in the eyes,could blind you.
0 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:37 pm

My husband was treated for lyme about 20 years ago....he had a low grade fever for a long time, I don't think it was confirmed but that's what he was treated for .

Lyme disease is difficult to nail down 100% especially if there is a long time lag between first symptoms and diagnosis...and the diagnosis (test) is rather expensive. Any more, I do think some Drs misdiagnose a lot of things and just declare the ailment to be 'lyme disease' and treat accordingly..a 'disease of exclusion type thing.

I've had hundreds of tick bites in my younger days, and hundreds more on me back when this area was open range and I used to think about ticks the same way you do..till one of my extended family members got Lyme Disease from a single tick on her scalp and brushed off the symptoms for several months. At that stage, it's a long term, debilitating disease and will change how you think about ticks forever. I'm not sure she will ever fully get over it.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:44 pm

JW IN VA wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I gotta work in the Farmville, VA in a coiuple weeks and will spray every few hours. Have never sprayed here. I ask a couple cattle people today and nheithrr had ever seen a tick on a cow. But we don't have deer ticks either.

Up here, we have both kinds.They are bad this year.Son,grandson and I were working on baler on day and found 4 on us(them, not me) and my son had sprayed with a tick repellant spray on them before they came over.
Now,in Va,we have the Giant Hogweed in several places.Staunton,Isle of Wight and one other.Very bad stuff.Sap can cause burns to skin lasting ten days or more and ,if gotten in the eyes,could blind you.

I just read about that Giant Hogweed yesterday. Nasty stuff. Caustic sap. When plants attack........... the burn pics looked awful.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Very few ticks since the fire ants showed up. Plus no cattle grubs as we had at one time. Fire ants take care of them as soon as the tick or grubs fall to the ground.
0 x

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:30 pm

hurleyjd wrote:Very few ticks since the fire ants showed up. Plus no cattle grubs as we had at one time. Fire ants take care of them as soon as the tick or grubs fall to the ground.

Heel flies are almost a thing of the past here since the widespread use of the ivermectin-type dewormers.
1 x
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Postby JW IN VA » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 pm

greybeard wrote:
JW IN VA wrote:

I just read about that Giant Hogweed yesterday. Nasty stuff. Caustic sap. When plants attack........... the burn pics looked awful.

Someone posted it on Facebook around here since it was found in Staunton,Va.About 30 miles from me.We didn't get the bad thistles they had for about twenty years,either.But,we did get them.
Google search didn't turn up much for control ideas.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:20 am

Ticks are extremely bad down this way be careful alot of lime disease carrying ticks.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 am

I worked calves last week and quite a few had ticks in their ears. All were small (males?) except for one about the size of a marble. This is new for this place. I have had a few over the years but many more this year for some reason. I sprayed every animal real good so maybe it will knock them back some.

Oh by the way, this place is also has more than its share of fire ants.
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”