My new Wagyu bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
NonTypicalCPA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My new Wagyu bull

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:05 am

Here's a couple more pics

This is his sire

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:19 pm

The first time I say a waygu we were at a Junior Angus National show and a group of us went to an AI stud. Jacob was 15 or 16 at the time so over 20 years ago. They had two that looked just like your new bull other than both had horns. The breed is ugly but that doesn’t negate the fact that they offer tremendous beef quality. When we were selling freezer beef I ordered half a cane of Waygu Semen and didn’t get one cow to settle ( the balance of the AI group that year was 80%). I decided that was my first and last attempt at Waygu. If your selling freezer beef the Waygu will sure be a plus. I have a friend that raises Waygu the red ones are better looking than the black, she has purchased heifers from us to cross with her bulls the calves look pretty good. I want to see pictures of how the cross of Waygu and Belties look.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Post by Lazy M » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:32 pm

He looks depressed..

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Lazy M wrote:He looks depressed..
its that time of year.might have to be put on suicide watch.. :cowboy:
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Cdcollett
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Cdcollett » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 am

Has he been semen tested? The sheath strings would usually be removed for that & the breeding soundness exam. I can’t sell bulls without a semen test. If he was tested what was his scrotal?

jd720
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by jd720 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:40 am

I believe I`d be depressed if I had anything on the farm that looked like that. There may be some good to him but I`m sorry he looks like a Craigslist special to me I`ll pass on the Wagyu.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:45 am

jd720 wrote:

I believe I`d be depressed if I had anything on the farm that looked like that. There may be some good to him but I`m sorry he looks like a Craigslist special to me I`ll pass on the Wagyu.

This is where the old saying fits, it's whats on the inside that counts...
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:52 am

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with jd. I have kept my mouth shut, but --- I would be hard pressed to board an animal that looked like that, let alone own one. Do your Belties not grade well?? You are taking a really nice looking animal (Beltie) and breeding it to "that"???
I really do not understand this "thing" about needing more marbling.
As most of you know, I raise PB Simmental cattle.
Anyway, I have been feeding out some freezer trade fall born steers. We harvested 3 on Oct 5 - all Sept & Oct born (so about 12-12.5 months old). They were 720#, 728#, & 786#. They are loaded with marbling. They are super tender. Sold halves for $3.25/lb, they pay cut/wrap/kill and are booked for next year. If you can produce a great eating experience, why would you resort to Wagyu? Aren't you going to sacrifice a lot of final weight on everything?
Or, do you think being able to say it is 1/2 Wagyu, people are going to be willing to pay enough extra big bucks to offset the poor muscling? I am just lost at the concept of wanting to get into them. I must really be missing something. I'm not toooo old to learn new tricks - so please educate me.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Post by Lazy M » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am

jd720 wrote:

I agree but he probably is a fine specimen as far as wagyu goes. I'm starting to really wonder if poor phenotype correlates to good meat quality.. it seems that the Angus bulls with really high $B look more and more like wagyu type cattle..

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Post by Lazy M » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:00 am

Lazy M wrote:
jd720 wrote:

I agree but he probably is a fine specimen as far as wagyu goes. I'm starting to really wonder if poor phenotype correlates to good meat quality.. it seems that the Angus bulls with really high $B look more and more like wagyu type cattle..

Maybe Bright Raven or someone can weigh in on this with a science-based explanation (?)

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:11 am

IMHO - the Angus breeders concentrating on numbers are not LOOKING at their cattle.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 am

I feel your pain, NonTypicalCPA. Not many like my breed either, but the bottom line is how many dollars they'll bring in. Hope yours does well.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

jd720
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by jd720 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:IMHO - the Angus breeders concentrating on numbers are not LOOKING at their cattle.

I couldn`t agree more it seems the better the numbers are the worse they look. It`s a good way to end up with a bunch of very fine boned chicken legged cattle with nothing in the rear end. I probably go extreme over the looks of my cows but I have to look at them everyday and it`s much more enjoyable if I like what I`m seeing in the pasture.

NonTypicalCPA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55 am

No hard feelings - I have thick skin. If everyone did and liked the same thing, life would be pretty boring. When I'm taking a bite of a nice steak I don't stop and remember his big arse or coat color, polled or not, long/short. When you've got a local restaurant paying $9,000 for a 28 month old fullblood, that get's my attention. Now mine wont be fullbloods, yet. If this experiment goes well then I may switch over, time will tell. I'm not trying to make a living, just having fun. Plus this ugly thing of a bull is pretty easy to be around, while my beautifully thick, long and handsome Beltie bull was a pain in my arse.

He did have a BSE that was good. I'll see if I can put my hands on it and let you know the scrotal size.

jehosofat
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jehosofat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

One of my friends had two Wyagu steaks shipped to me from Japan, they were 300 dollars. They were good, but not 300 dollar good. I've had filets from beef I raised that was close.