More grass than cows

The place to start if you are new!
MrSmith
Cowhand
Cowhand

More grass than cows

Post by MrSmith » Sat May 18, 2019 6:25 pm

So I'm starting with a small herd and they can't keep up with the grass production.
I'm going to get a hotwire ran across my larger pastures to divvy then into manageable sections.
Ive got a lot of tall fescue, and my cows are supposed to start calving in August.

The pastures were all grazed down bad over winter, but have gone to seed (and weed) now.

Should I bushhog the pastures before I turn the cows into them?
These are ones I won't be cutting hay off, just grazing.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Re: More grass than cows

Post by 1982vett » Sat May 18, 2019 7:42 pm

More grass than cows is a good thing. For us it would have been a good year to load up on older bred cows in February to calve out and fatten up. I haven’t had pastures with this much grass in the spring since 2012 after selling off 80% of the herd in 2010 - 2011. Excessive grass can turn to overgrazed quickly when weather turns agains you.
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Sat May 18, 2019 10:57 pm

If it were here and me, excess feed on ground that can be covered with hay machinery would soon be in bales. Hay in the stack is better than money in the bank.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Sat May 18, 2019 11:43 pm

I've never had that problem. At least not for long. I always solved the problem by going to the sale yard and raising my hand.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun May 19, 2019 5:41 am

Summer time is coming and the fescue will stop growing. The cows will catch up with it then. The hot wire is a good way to manage your grass.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun May 19, 2019 7:26 am

Yes, I would split it up like you said, led the cows glean what they will eat, then follow behind them with the brush hog.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun May 19, 2019 8:02 am

Clipping the fescue heads is a good thing to do. Promotes longer grass growth and lessens the toxic effects of fescue.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun May 19, 2019 10:33 am

I've never seen a down side to more cross fencing. Yes, it's added investment but it pays dividends.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sun May 19, 2019 12:08 pm

That’s a good problem to have for sure! It’s the exact opposite here. Unless things change it’s gonna be a long summer here. I’m gonna start feeding hay tomorrow. On a good year I can feed a cow/acre. Average year a cow/acre and a half. I stock at a rate of a cow/2 acres. And they are barely getting by. Supposed to be 100 for 5 days in a row next week. Tough times ahead for us.

Like others said, I would look at the option of baling up the extra if it’s feasible.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:13 pm

MrSmith wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 6:25 pm
So I'm starting with a small herd and they can't keep up with the grass production.
I'm going to get a hotwire ran across my larger pastures to divvy then into manageable sections.
Ive got a lot of tall fescue, and my cows are supposed to start calving in August.

The pastures were all grazed down bad over winter, but have gone to seed (and weed) now.

Should I bushhog the pastures before I turn the cows into them?
These are ones I won't be cutting hay off, just grazing.
Mow it all down, and clean it up. Cattle like freshly mowed pasture, and it helps to control weeds.

Here is an instructional photo, from our operation. LOL!

The cows lose their minds when they hit the "carpet"

Too late to do right now, but for next year, broadcast Ladino clover on your pastures. That field above is thick with Ladino, which makes cattle nice and fat.
Last edited by Brookhill Angus on Sun May 19, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:13 pm
Too late to do right now, but for next year, broadcast Ladino clover on your pastures. That field above is thick with Ladino, which makes cattle nice and fat.
I agree with the Ladino, but I would go with frost seeding Jumo Ladino (more expensive, but will give better yield in the long run) in the late fall. Just be careful what you spray it within the spring.

I agree with the others, but I would let it go to seed before I cut it. Just prepping for a better stand next year.

Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bright Raven » Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 pm

sstterry wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
I agree with the Ladino, but I would go with frost seeding Jumo Ladino (more expensive, but will give better yield in the long run) in the late fall. Just be careful what you spray it within the spring.

I agree with the others, but I would let it go to seed before I cut it. Just prepping for a better stand next year.
I also use Ladino clover by frost seeding. Tell me about Jumo.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun May 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:50 pm
sstterry wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 5:38 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:

I also use Ladino clover by frost seeding. Tell me about Jumo.
I second that, if I can get a better clover, let me know all about it.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm

I don't have it. Someone on here recommended it a few months ago and I researched it. I am planning on frost seeding it in the fall on my pastures (well, what I can afford anyway). When I looked at it I was impressed. But it is about $200/50lb.

I will see if I can see who posted that.
Last edited by sstterry on Sun May 19, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Snoopdog posted about using it in September. Here is what I found at the time:
Jumbo Ladino Clover is a white perennial superior clover more vigorous and faster growing than other white clovers. Known for its large leaves and high yields, Jumbo is very palatable and a great improvement for grazing stands for wildlife. Ladino type white clovers spread by stolons and fill in empty space in forage stands for more productive grazing. Jumbo ladino may be seeded conventionally when establishing a new plot, or may be frost seeded into an existing plot. Jumbo Ladino Clover has good disease resistance, tolerates summer heat and dry weather,