Bull Trying to Hurt Calf.....Little Help, Please

The place to start if you are new!
GMN
GURU
GURU

Re: Bull Trying to Hurt Calf.....Little Help, Please

Post by GMN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:28 am

Herd bulls do this stuff all the time-I've had calves born ut in the herd, and for some reason the bul has knocked the calf down, picked on it, I think its the smell-just separate them, out of sight and all is well

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Post by Gale Seddon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:23 am

I agree with those who say keep cow and calf penned separately until the bull leaves. It's not worth the risk, especially when you have only a few...each calf is important. They will be fine with hay, water, etc. The bull has company (other cow and 7 month calf) that he's not bothering, correct? Hopefully, that 7 mo. calf is not a heifer?

Sorry that you have to deal with this. Hard enough to protect them without worrying about their SOB sire doing them in. Sometimes I think they believe small things are predators (including children). I like a bull that does his job, lies around the hay ring, and babysits calves. But I guess they all get stupid once in a while. Mine gets stupid with mineral feeders.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:29 am

Gale Seddon wrote: Mine gets stupid with mineral feeders.

Don;t you mean "bashing toys"?
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Post by Gale Seddon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:59 am

Well, yeah, I guess so. I cured him of messing with the hay ring by zapping him with a water pistol right on the nose (I hid on the other side of the bale) so he didn't know it was me (yeah, right!). I'm thinking about digging a hole to put the mineral feeder in.

I'm beginning to think that bulls are just a necessary evil.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:02 am

Gale Seddon wrote:Well, yeah, I guess so. I cured him of messing with the hay ring by zapping him with a water pistol right on the nose (I hid on the other side of the bale) so he didn't know it was me (yeah, right!). I'm thinking about digging a hole to put the mineral feeder in.

I'm beginning to think that bulls are just a necessary evil.

I don;t know about necessary but I'll go along with the EVIL part
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

GMN
GURU
GURU

Post by GMN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:25 am

we should take a poll which breed is the most evil?

robertwhite
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by robertwhite » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Well, the momma cow is definitely cycling or at least is having a calving cycle. I let her out (kept the calf locked up) and the cow mounted another bred cow (well, mounted the cows head anyway :lol: ). Guess that the bull pulled that crap yesterday. He has also been hovering around the pen. Guess I will be keeping momma and calf locked up until I get rid of the bull.

Gale Seddon
GURU
GURU

Post by Gale Seddon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Let us know how peaceful it becomes once the bull leaves. I think you're doing the right thing by the way.

robertwhite
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by robertwhite » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Merry X-Mas to all.

So here we are 2 weeks later and after building a large panel corral for the Cow/Calf in which the calf can run around, this morning all the rest of the herd were in another pasture. I closed that gate and allowed the momma and calf out of the corral and into the small pasture to eat/run around.

After a bit, the calf decided to hop through the barb wire separating the pastures (4 lines instead of 5) and I go in to try and grab her. Of course, the bull goes straight for the momma, who turns and flees, kicking at the bull. Chase is on, blah, blah, blah and I finally was able to grab up the calf and get her and momma back in the corral.

So the big question now is, since the bull obviously still wants to mount the momma, I would assume she is still in heat. But how can that be? I thought they only stay in heat for a very short time, no? We are talking about this bull trying to get at the cow for a solid 2 weeks. They all got along just fine until the calf came.

I can't ship the bull until Jan 4th as the yards are closed until then. I really don't like the idea of keeping them locked up for another almost 2 weeks as the calf is not going to know boundries and the herd may treat the cow and/or calf as outcasts.

Any ideas?

talkincowsnsechlike
Beginner
Beginner

Post by talkincowsnsechlike » Thu May 23, 2013 10:29 am

Have bred and raised cows many years. Bulls do occasionally attack calves. Just yesterday my mini zebu bull was trying to drill a heifer's newborn calf into the ground. Got them separated before he did any serious damage. Will try to reunite today under observation. Calf is vigorous now and can hopefully better deal with cantankerous dad. Mom is also stronger after first calf and will (hopefully also) be attentive to any potential over-zealousness from him as well. It happens.

robertwhite
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by robertwhite » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

talkincowsnsechlike wrote:Have bred and raised cows many years. Bulls do occasionally attack calves. Just yesterday my mini zebu bull was trying to drill a heifer's newborn calf into the ground. Got them separated before he did any serious damage. Will try to reunite today under observation. Calf is vigorous now and can hopefully better deal with cantankerous dad. Mom is also stronger after first calf and will (hopefully also) be attentive to any potential over-zealousness from him as well. It happens.

Ummmmmm, welcome to the site. But you dragged up a 2 yr old thread because?

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 24, 2013 2:55 pm

Well you never finished your post so I for one, am glad he brought it back to life.

What finally happened?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Fri May 24, 2013 2:59 pm

He's just talkincowsandsechlike. Didn't mean no harm.
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

BrenM
Beginner
Beginner

Post by BrenM » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:27 am

Our bull is currently penned up on 1/4 acre with a 4 strand “knock you on your butt” electric fence. He was putting too much pressure on the old perimeter fence when neighbor brought in a load of heifers across the road. Cows that have just calved must put off a similar scent to those in heat; he goes after them same as for breeding. Yesterday a 3 day old bull calf ran through the fence into the bull pen. The bull went blowing, bucking and running toward it, but stopped; and the calf ran back through the fence and got out. I had never seen him “charge” anything before; pretty scary.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:41 am

A cow that has recently calved has lots of hormone smells - same with the newborn. So, yes, it can get the bull excited.
This is an ancient thread, but I did want to point out that it doesn't make any difference if the calf is sired by the bull or not - he does not "recognize" his offspring by scent or sight.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."