The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Can't catch a break

Post by TCRanch » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:09 pm

nocows wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am
I can separate her and the calf for the next month or two until he's ready to wean, I will take her to the sale barn and let them know she's a milk thief. I'd say she'll sell as a kill/weigh cow, I don't want her to disappoint someone else.

Just frustrating that people aren't honest... I tend to give most people the benefit of the doubt in situations. I'm having a hard time believing the feller I bought her from wasn't aware of the situation. Either way it's a done deal I'll take care of the situation and move on down the road.

On to the next one........ :cboy:
Appreciate your honesty! I've taken culls, cows with attitude, just not great bags, late calvers, stags & opens to the sale barn and have always been up front. I've even sold "undesirables" (primarily attitude) private treaty with full disclosure.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Honesty has nothing to do with it, I buy the same way as I sell at the stockyards. I've heard the ringleader announce these are all good cattle from so and so, but I've never heard this cow is a milk stealer. The buyers will pick a flaw out on a cow within 10 seconds once it enters the ring.
When I sell private treaty if your not happy with your purchase I'll give you your money back. The stockyard is business only, not Disney World.
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
If I send a problem to the sale barn I let them know what it is. I think that’s only right.
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:26 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Good for you, I don't. There's not a cow sold that doesn't have a flaw. Have you ever sat through a sale at a stockyard? The order buyers will yell out when they see something wrong, it's like getting a trophy for them.
I totally get what you’re saying. I guess I should clarify, if I take a cow that needs to go to slaughter to the barn I tell them, she’s a slaughter cow. Same on a bull if he has a problem. If I half a calf with a defect I don’t point it out because as you stated, they’re gonna spot it anyway.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
"Flaw" is subjective. I sold some really nice cow/calf pairs last year only because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. They were good mamas, docile & bred (a trifecta!) but it was just too much of a hassle to work & wean straggler calves. Plus it made it more difficult to pull the bulls in a timely manner; keeping them in long enough for the late calvers to breed back but early enough I didn't have to worry about heifer calves getting bred prior to weaning.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am

TCRanch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

"Flaw" is subjective. I sold some really nice cow/calf pairs last year only because I wanted to get back to spring calving only. They were good mamas, docile & bred (a trifecta!) but it was just too much of a hassle to work & wean straggler calves. Plus it made it more difficult to pull the bulls in a timely manner; keeping them in long enough for the late calvers to breed back but early enough I didn't have to worry about heifer calves getting bred prior to weaning.
I sell what I think are my good cattle private treaty. You'll never see a perfect cow, some are just better than others.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am
TCRanch wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:27 am
True Grit Farms wrote:

I sell what I think are my good cattle private treaty. You'll never see a perfect cow, some are just better than others.
When I have the time I prefer to sell aforementioned pairs private treaty. But I pick my battles and they actually did very well at the sale barn so honestly not sure if I would have come out ahead privately. Taking into consideration the time, potential tire kickers, continuting to feed them and the almost guaranteed stress of buyers wanting to haggle at the last moment and manditory guaranteed funds (seriously, why are they shocked I don't want their personal check unless I know them VERY well?).

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
I can't break her from sucking but i can tell you how to break the other cows from letting her suck. Get a halter that will fit her and drive a couple of rows of horse shoe nail threw the nose band. I wrap the nose band with duct tape after i drive the nails threw it.
Great recommendation RBB. I have a question for you. I have never had a cow or even a yearling do this. Watching tonight, i caught a weaned yearling hereford sucking on another hereford cow(not her dam either). Do they never grow out of this? If i load her up and take her home for the rest of the summer, should i expect her to do this again next year? Plenty of quality mineral out too btw(great point). Appreciate your thoughts
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 pm

bball wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:07 pm
Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm
I can't break her from sucking but i can tell you how to break the other cows from letting her suck. Get a halter that will fit her and drive a couple of rows of horse shoe nail threw the nose band. I wrap the nose band with duct tape after i drive the nails threw it.
Great recommendation RBB. I have a question for you. I have never had a cow or even a yearling do this. Watching tonight, i caught a weaned yearling hereford sucking on another hereford cow(not her dam either). Do they never grow out of this? If i load her up and take her home for the rest of the summer, should i expect her to do this again next year? Plenty of quality mineral out too btw(great point). Appreciate your thoughts
Bball i have had good luck doing it. With a heifer you got to watch about the halter getting to tight. But i have either broke the cows from letting the suck or broke them from sucking. Cows will get to where they will run her off as soon as she shows up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am

Was she actually sucking??? or just licking? Cows will lick/groom other cows. It's a social thing. I see lots of cows lick another cows udder area. The licked cow will actually raise her leg - enjoying every minute of it. But - no sucking involved.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:22 am
Was she actually sucking??? or just licking? Cows will lick/groom other cows. It's a social thing. I see lots of cows lick another cows udder area. The licked cow will actually raise her leg - enjoying every minute of it. But - no sucking involved.
Yes. She was actually nursing on her Jeanne. Latched and sucking.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop
Exercising compassion provides the most linear and fulfilling state of happiness.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:49 am

You fix you up one of those halters. The nails folks use to tack felt on insulation board on will work to. She will wear out her welcome pretty quick. The other cows will break her.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm

RBB - I really like your solution. It would be worth buying a cow halter (mine are all rope halters) if I had something worth keeping around.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:09 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm
RBB - I really like your solution. It would be worth buying a cow halter (mine are all rope halters) if I had something worth keeping around.
It works and its cheap Jeanne. It really doesn't seem to take the cows long to break the offender.