What are you using to apply pour on’s?

The place to start if you are new!
Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Re: What are you using to apply pour on’s?

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Stick a straw in the jug, suck out a mouthful, use the straw to blow a stream on the back of each cow. Be sure and use a clean straw if you have hired help and you do not want to share your/their germs. Use a swig of water to rinse out your mouth when finished. Please dispose of plastic straws properly as to not damage the environment. :lol: :???:

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:57 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:23 pm
Use the gun designed for the respective pour–on product to ensure proper dosage & application. In many cases calibration, discharge/flow rate, cap sizes & the length of tube entering the container aren't interchangeable. Often as not you can get a free gun if you meet volume requirements. They'll last a very long time if properly cared for/lubricated.
Sure beats the old ladle deal from years ago.
Most recommended dose amounts are based on weights. Do you weigh each cow or do like most of us and "guesstimate".
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:12 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:48 pm
Stick a straw in the jug, suck out a mouthful, use the straw to blow a stream on the back of each cow. Be sure and use a clean straw if you have hired help and you do not want to share your/their germs. Use a swig of water to rinse out your mouth when finished. Please dispose of plastic straws properly as to not damage the environment. :lol: :???:
And don't forget to massage it in with your bare hands really well after spitting it on them.!

**Note for the uninitiated this is total parody! Follow the mfg directions regarding contact with skin!

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:57 pm

Most recommended dose amounts are based on weights. Do you weigh each cow or do like most of us and "guesstimate".
I weigh a representative group of (5 or 6) calves or cows and adjust accordingly/head. When in doubt, I over rather than under dose.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:26 pm

Not to sound holier than thou but on occasion I've haphazardly applied assorted pour ons on something missed down the chute/after the fact. Having done considerable research and taken to heart Lucky P's advice on this board, I'm convinced that following the respective manufacture's application guidelines is paramount.

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 pm

I still have a plastic ladle that came with a gallon of DeLice once.I also bought a small squeeze bottle of Ultra Boss and just refill it from a gallon jug. Easy to see if you are getting the right dose. I do,however,use these when they are in the chute.
If I can't get them to the chute I just mix a spray tank full and spray them when I call them in to the mineral or grain trough.
Back rubs are the easiest if you can build a place where they are "forced" through to get to mineral feeders or on the feeder itself.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:47 am

Mine are only applied when in chute - and weighed. I use gun that is designated for product. I also have the old long handle plastic cut for DeLice. I will line them up in alleyway in fall and apply based on their July weight so we can run a dozen thru at a time.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

cowgal604
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cowgal604 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:43 pm

The stuff we buy comes with a sprayer. I call them all over for a big giant feeding of grain to give me time. I stand up on the fence and just pour it on all of them. When we have lots of cows we do them in batches of 4-6. Whoever doesn't get sprayed gets a lovely walk down to the squeeze and I pour it on in there.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:17 am

Jokes aside, have you ever noticed that all cows in a group do not need to be treated? I use pour on wormer on calves and a fly pour on for cows. I had them up once and realized that I was out of fly pour on so I just treated the calves. I had about the same effect of fly control as if I had treated all. And we have all noticed that some animals are fly magnets. Research says that flies are less attracted to small cattle with thicker hair patterns (more hairs per area).

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 pm

don't use it unless I have a dogie around that gets bad lice, then use the applicator that comes with it (usually just use DE or permethrin dust) wipe for flies if they get bad.

NonTypicalCPA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:29 pm

I used a pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow on it today with decent results. I need to block the pipe end by the elbow so the pour on doesn’t flow back towards me.