What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

The place to start if you are new!
Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Re: What kind of issues do you deal with in your area?

Post by Hippie Rancher » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:38 pm

water (lack of), "neighbors" and tourists

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:56 pm

ez14. wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm
cowgal604 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:11 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.
Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.
I am very fortunate in the fact that the vets at the clinic I use all know me well and like me so I never even have to give a reason for the things I get just say I need it and they get it for me.

Yeah, I find it surprising that they won't let people have Resflor for footrot. Even if they wanted to be sticklers, they could give her Nuflor and Banamine transdermal, which is the same active ingredients found in Resflor, both with a footrot label.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:06 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Nesikep wrote:
Cowgal, you can find wild cacti if you drive less than 3 hours ;) Average rainfall here is 15 inches a year, I've seen close to that in a day down there!
biggest worry for cattle health here is atypical pneumonia, middle of the summer they can get it, when we first started there were no drugs that did anything at all, now there are a few, baytril, draxxin, resflor are all pretty effective. I have coyotes, mountain lions, bears, and a wolf has even been spotted, but nothing has ever bothered the cows or calves.

One problem we have here is *everything* is 3 hours away minimum.. so when you find a good deal, it's gone by the time you can get there.
Have you been affected at all with the recent change with buying medicine for your herd? We can now only get a few things without seeing a vet. I can go and buy some selenium and some other vitamin like things but all drugs, antibiotics and such require a prescription from a vet. We used Resflour off label often, now I have to try and come up with some round about lie to get my hands on it. We actually use it to treat foot rot which is off label.
Not really, My vet is in Cache creek, a good hour away, so he just gives me what I ask for usually.. been dealing with that clinic (it's changed hands meanwhile) for 30 years now
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:18 pm

ccr wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:57 pm

Mexican vultures.
CB, we've been seeing some black headed instead of red headed buzzards around here. Is the mexican vulture giving you trouble look like a red headed turkey vulture (we call them buzzards) with a black head?

Are they killing young calves?
Mexican vultures are black headed and fly more like a bat than glide like a turkey buzzard.
They will attack the calf in flocks and the cow if found while calving.
I have never saved a calf if bitten.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am

It's gone a bit silly here too, if i want a bottle of lutylise i have to get from vet. Used to be able to get from a.i. tech but they also have to get it from vet. Our biggest issue here is land prices, good productive country is around 20 000 an acre, just not worth it for cattle. Can go three hours east and pick it up for 1500 an acre but need 20 times as much land to run the same head IF you get rain. Better cropping and sheep country out there.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:43 am

Redgully wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:22 am
It's gone a bit silly here too, if i want a bottle of lutylise i have to get from vet. Used to be able to get from a.i. tech but they also have to get it from vet. Our biggest issue here is land prices, good productive country is around 20 000 an acre, just not worth it for cattle. Can go three hours east and pick it up for 1500 an acre but need 20 times as much land to run the same head IF you get rain. Better cropping and sheep country out there.
Land prices here aren't lower for sure, the best land in the area where you could conceivably make a living is probably in the 50K/ac range, which make it so you can't make a living on it!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:49 am

There's a quarter section coming up for sale bordering me that they will want $150K for. That seems ridiculous to me, but I will buy it if I can. Maybe it's actually cheap, just never paid nearly that much for land before.

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 am

Fire danger due to lack of rain in the summer. Water issues. Springs are usually dry by late summer and then we pump from a well. Pacific Power has informed us they will now be cutting off the electricity whenever there is heat and too much wind. We won't be able to pump water or keep things refrigerated. I guess a generator will now become a necessity. Other issues include maintaining miles of pipe that support numerous stock tacks, maintaining many miles of fencing that run through rough and wooded country, and the never ending battle against invasive weeds. Oh and I almost forgot, the wolves have arrived in our county and have already taken their first victims. It is only a matter of time before we will be losing livestock to them here. The worse part of that is we are not legally allowed to do anything about it. I pray they remove them from protected status soon.

sme.misfit.farms
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sme.misfit.farms » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 am

Ours seems petty compared to some of the things you guys have to do.
Our main problem is...Vets. All of our large animal vets are either retiring or going to small animal or doing minimal type care for cows IF they call you back. Took some serious nagging and bartering to get one out that does shots, BSE's, and health certs. It'll cost a pretty penny to get them out, but it'll make life easier.
Other problem is...We've finally had four days of sunshine in a row. Lots of rain hitting us non stop by the bucket fulls.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:26 am

Flies, neighbors dogs drivers throwing beer cans and other bull crap along fence line in my road frontage pasture. And this year a bull that didn’t do his job very well

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:27 am

And dadgum wild hogs

shaz
GURU
GURU

Post by shaz » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 pm

Horse nettle. Seems like if I really try to wipe it out with Grazon my calf mortality is really high.

Otherwise, time is the biggest problem.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:10 pm

cowgal604 wrote:
Nesikep wrote:

Time to get a different vet.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Silver wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:49 am
There's a quarter section coming up for sale bordering me that they will want $150K for. That seems ridiculous to me, but I will buy it if I can. Maybe it's actually cheap, just never paid nearly that much for land before.
An old feller that made a fortune trading land once told me if you need the land that time will heal the extra money you think you have to pay for it. Not having a 160 acre hobby farmer in the soup is worth a fair amount. ;-)

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 pm

Grizzlies
Wolves
Govt. Cockroaches and rules.
Distance to markets.
Packers who control us.
Help.
Weather. ( Not much we can do about that but work with it!)
Bleeding heart liberals and bunny huggers.

Can likely come up with more in time.

All but one of my neighbors is good but he likely thinks the same of me so we are even...……..