Creek crossing repair

The place to start if you are new!
Silver
GURU
GURU

Creek crossing repair

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:02 am

Creek crossing is washed out. We build semi temporary crossings by putting logs down and covering with dirt. Generally we just put more dirt on these crossings every year, the logs stay in place. This crossing has had the same logs under it for 50+ years. We decided to add some more logs this year and cap it with some sandstone to see if it would be less likely to wash away.

Water is down.

New logs in place:

Throwing some dirt out for the cat:

Dozing material over the crossing:

Sandstone for the cap. Not sure why I didn't take a pic of the end product. When it drys up I want to haul a few more loads to beef it up, I'll maybe take a pic then.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Creek crossing repair

Post by wbvs58 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 am

What size dozer is that Silver?

Ken

uplandnut
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by uplandnut » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 am

Looks like it should last a long time. DNR would be all over someone for that where I am :(

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:38 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:52 am
What size dozer is that Silver?

Ken
That's my old 1963 D6C.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 am

uplandnut wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 am
Looks like it should last a long time. DNR would be all over someone for that where I am :(
I hope it lasts for awhile. These things generally need some repair of varying degrees every spring depending on the severity of the runoff. I'm hoping if I put enough sandstone on it and on the downstream face that it will stand up to high water running over the top of it.

As far as our version of DNR goes, I think this is one of those deals where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and they have bigger fish to fry than little STO ranchers. If I were an oil company and got remotely close to a creek like this they'd hang me in a public square.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:56 am

Silver wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:44 am
uplandnut wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:22 am
I hope it lasts for awhile. These things generally need some repair of varying degrees every spring depending on the severity of the runoff. I'm hoping if I put enough sandstone on it and on the downstream face that it will stand up to high water running over the top of it.

As far as our version of DNR goes, I think this is one of those deals where it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission, and they have bigger fish to fry than little STO ranchers. If I were an oil company and got remotely close to a creek like this they'd hang me in a public square.
The EPA screws with the STO here, they have no money to pay a bribe.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:35 am

I am not sure if you can but what we do around here, is get 60lb concrete bags and stack them (with a culvert so water can flow still)... Works like a charm.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:57 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:35 am
I am not sure if you can but what we do around here, is get 60lb concrete bags and stack them (with a culvert so water can flow still)... Works like a charm.
Sounds like a good idea, but culverts are out of the question here as we are polluted with beavers and they are really good at damming them off. The water can flow between the logs and tend to not get dammed up. I like the concrete idea though.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:26 pm

I was going to ask about a culvert. I couldn't see anything that looked like one. Interesting that the water is able to keep flowing thru the trees. I would have guessed that they would just fill in with dirt/debris.
I, for one, really appreciate you sharing your projects. Very, very interesting.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:48 pm

I think that is a great and practical crossing. I am currently repairing an old tin mining dam that was built about 50 years ago just by clearing and pushing up the timber then dirt, mostly sand pushed up and over time the clay from the washing of tin sealed it. The wall washed out as the spillway was blocked leaving a big hole. All of those original trees were still intact in the hole.

Ken