The place to start if you are new!
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Re: Genetics and Herd Expansion

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:35 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:16 pm
Don't think for a minute those grass fed types are allergic to grain... :cowboy:
Mine are partial to this, steamed and flaked

"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 am
If you switch to grassfed beef you suddenly have the option to have cattle of any color without sale barn discounts. That let's you use crossbreeding and hybrid vigor to make the program work even better. But you need to learn the type of cattle which will work for you before you buy a bull or semen. And I will repeat: you will need to learn to grow annuals regardless of what breeds you use to make the finish on animals more than an average or better spring flush. I think it is harder than it looks in articles when you make the efforts.
For someone that decries promotion and commotion, I would think the "grass-fed" craze would be right up your alley.

Grass-fed is a JOKE! Plain and simple. Go to any top steakhouse, and I mean where the experience means something, and they sure as heck are not serving a piece of shoe leather. Laura's lean beef is so gross, it really should only be for hamburger or dog food.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing like a grain finished, prime Angus or Hereford steak. Everything else falls in line behind them.

Grass-fed beef is supposed to connotate some level of quality, but in actuality, its a bunch of calico, Heinz 57 cattle with little to no forethought put into the carcass quality.

You can feed them anything they like Eb, but they will always be inferior to grain finished. It' no contest.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 pm

There are many different "nitch" markets. I, for one, believe in grain fed beef "for myself". But, I am not, and try not to "bash" any other form of marketing - and no one should. I sure don't "promote" grass fed beef, but there are people out there that want and prefer it.
A great thing about the beef industry is that we can (and do) pick and choose what program we WANT to do.

One thing you might think about when choosing a breed of bull to AI to. You might want to use a breed that you can register the offspring as a 1/2 blood and build up from there. Murrey Grey (sp?) might be a good choice. There are choices of bulls for grass fed beef in most of the breeds.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:46 pm

Grass-fed beef is supposed to connotate some level of quality, but in actuality, its a bunch of calico, Heinz 57 cattle with little to no forethought put into the carcass quality.
that is about as ignorant (and offensive to a whole lot of producers) a statement as I have ever heard :thumbdown:

CottageFarm
-

Post by CottageFarm » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:55 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:
If you switch to grassfed beef you suddenly have the option to have cattle of any color without sale barn discounts. That let's you use crossbreeding and hybrid vigor to make the program work even better. But you need to learn the type of cattle which will work for you before you buy a bull or semen. And I will repeat: you will need to learn to grow annuals regardless of what breeds you use to make the finish on animals more than an average or better spring flush. I think it is harder than it looks in articles when you make the efforts.
For someone that decries promotion and commotion, I would think the "grass-fed" craze would be right up your alley.

Grass-fed is a JOKE! Plain and simple. Go to any top steakhouse, and I mean where the experience means something, and they sure as heck are not serving a piece of shoe leather. Laura's lean beef is so gross, it really should only be for hamburger or dog food.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing like a grain finished, prime Angus or Hereford steak. Everything else falls in line behind them.

You can feed them anything they like Eb, but they will always be inferior to grain finished. It' no contest.
Lord, but you are a pathetic little man and a sorry excuse for a voice of the cattle industry or this site!
Why do you feel the need to trash other producers to make yourself feel better about yourself?
Why do you feel the need to insult a growing segment of the beef market, simply because they like something different than you?
If you don't like it don't eat it.
If you don't know how to cook it don't blame the producer.
Why do you continually feel the need to insult everyone who does things differently than you?
Discontent is the want of self-reliance. Ralph Waldo Emerson
"He that lives upon CF's CFS alone, will die fasting" :lol2: Ouachita

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 pm

Perhaps my observations and experiences are wrong who knows? Only time will tell. I think Impossible Meats is wretched, but nobody got upset when I stated my opinion on that one. I think Grass fed is a marketing gimmick that leads people into thinking they are eating healthier meat. I disagree, but who cares?

My comments were not directed at any CT member in particular.

We all have opinions, I posted mine.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:47 am

Right breed on grass is bloody good meat, murray grey, red poll. A lot of Europeans like gamey taste in their meat. There is a place for everyone in the market.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:37 am

Our Channel Country that fringes the desert in western Queensland, it may not get a drop of rain on it but when the rivers feeding it flood out over the channels on the way to Lake Eyre the grasses and herbage that grows will fatten bullocks faster than that achieved in feedlots. That meat is hard to beat.

Ken

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:20 am

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:

You have convinced me that my views of cattle are all wrong. So I have gone into dog breeding now. I plan to raise chihuahuas and will concentrate on making them to top out at least at 600 pounds and males will be bred to have semen as thick as molasses. We will have a Vet on standby to do 14 preg checks on each matron, each puppy will be DNAed dozens of time to be sure to be sure to be sure just to be sure, the grunts around here will clip the lawn for them every day and cook them CAB steaks (none better I heard) and no expense will be spared. It's where it ought to be. You know, be there or be square. Price will be outrageous but who cares, right? We don't want to deal with folks, especially neighbors, with mutts and common breeds as we know superior when we say it is superior. :lol:

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:51 am

Makes good jerky I do know that.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:07 am

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:

Don't you actually re-read what you write? You are extremely offensive and arrogant. You can have an opinion, but you can't just express your opinion, you have to bash everything.
I let your comment slide by, but who do you think you are claiming only Angus or Herefords make top grade carcasses?
I will have you know my own pure bred Simmentals have taken GRAND CHAMPION CARCASS contests multiple times - against mainly Angus and Herefords.
You need to THINK before you TYPE. You think people "pick" on you - but YOU ASK FOR IT - time and time again.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:43 am

We have been producing grass-fed beef for close to a decade now, and regardless of the breed, you need to focus on genetics that are a bit more moderate framed, easy fleshing, with higher marbling. You do not need to chase the highest growth bulls for to be successful at grass-finishing. Grass-fed beef is naturally leaner than grain-fed beef, but we have steers that will grade choice on grass at 2 years of age. We raise Murray Greys and have been selectively breeding for tenderness and marbling genes, amongst other things such as fertility, phenotype, disposition, etc. I have to say that for our operation, they have been the perfect fit.
Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:21 am

As I pointed out, you will have more time involved in the finishing process, but keep in mind, you will want to have steers processed before 30 months of age.

Hippie Rancher
GURU
GURU

Post by Hippie Rancher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:44 am

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:14 pm
Perhaps my observations and experiences are wrong who knows? Only time will tell. I think Impossible Meats is wretched, but nobody got upset when I stated my opinion on that one. I think Grass fed is a marketing gimmick that leads people into thinking they are eating healthier meat. I disagree, but who cares?

My comments were not directed at any CT member in particular.

We all have opinions, I posted mine.
Lets look at that again:

The first part (which I was not originally commenting on) is a direct personal insult to the person you were replying to. You state that the thing you are about to denigrate seems to be right up their alley. Then you state as if factual what you then weasel around with as your "opinion" after you get push-back.

The insult that I took issue with is your ignorant claim (not opinion, a claim) that grass-fed producers don't put any forethought into carcass quality. I know a number of ranchers that do grass-fed, and carcass quality is one of their highest interests and priorities. Just because your breed - or your particular animals - may not do what those ranchers want doesn't mean other cattle don't fit the bill.

"It's just my opinion" is a sorry excuse for rude behavior. You have some nice fat cattle, your enthusiasm and pride are fine. Why denigrate and insult what others do? No need for that.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:23 am

Show me grass fed that looks like this and I will say that I was wrong.

Also Jeanne, show me something that is not Angus or Hereford that looks like this and I will say I was wrong.

My neighbor across the road is trying to fatten a rainbow group of steers on grass over the summer, not a single one in there will produce a product like this.