Box Turtles and Toad Frogs and Bullfrogs.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Re: Box Turtles and Toad Frogs and Bullfrogs.

Post by ga.prime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:19 pm

jltrent wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:30 pm
It is the Russians,.................................on a serious note it is the Cell towers/cell phones as research conducted in Lausanne, Switzerland has shown that the signal from cell phones is causing this and also maybe leading to their death. All this started after the bag phones began and got worse as more cell phones/cell towers were put into service.
Incidental BS.

where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:26 pm

It's a documented fact that chinese are a huge factor in the worldwide decimation of turtles. In a self perpetuating cycle of doom, the rarer it gets the more they'll pay until there's none left. Look what happened to rhinoceroses.

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:09 pm

jltrent wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:30 pm
It is the Russians,.................................on a serious note it is the Cell towers/cell phones as research conducted in Lausanne, Switzerland has shown that the signal from cell phones is causing this and also maybe leading to their death. All this started after the bag phones began and got worse as more cell phones/cell towers were put into service.

on a serious note cell towers may have something to do with the anura, but don't seem to bother the mexican and turkey vulture much. they're living on a cell tower close to here.
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:17 pm

cc, you and jr should stick with patching up chainsaws and leaf blowers and stop with the conspiracy bs

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:03 am

Bigfoot wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:10 pm
Freshwater mussels are a good indicator of the health of your water. Daughter wanted to see one, and the same stream where as a child, I couldn't step without stepping on one......I couldn't find one. Not even a shell.
You stepped on too many as a kid and decimated the breeding stock.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Post by jltrent » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:00 am

ga.prime wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:17 pm
cc, you and jr should stick with patching up chainsaws and leaf blowers and stop with the conspiracy bs
Dang Prime.....never seen you come unglued like this.....you own stock in cell phones?

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:03 am

For the past few years I've been covered up with toad frogs. They really come out at night to hunt and eat bugs. I literally caught over 50 last summer at one time, put them in a bucket and took them down the road and dumped them out just to get rid of them. Still had more than enough to keep the population up. Got a few bull frogs in the tank along with turtles.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:03 am
For the past few years I've been covered up with toad frogs. They really come out at night to hunt and eat bugs. I literally caught over 50 last summer at one time, put them in a bucket and took them down the road and dumped them out just to get rid of them. Still had more than enough to keep the population up. Got a few bull frogs in the tank along with turtles.
I wonder how much wildlife feral cats take out. My cellular game cameras ding two or three times a night with cats. No one near me owns a cat.

Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Freshwater mussels are a good indicator of the health of your water. Daughter wanted to see one, and the same stream where as a child, I couldn't step without stepping on one......I couldn't find one. Not even a shell.
I read an article some times ago that the clams, mussels are not being able to develop because the the water they are in has became acid to the point that it eats up their shells as fast as they can develop them.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:35 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:03 am
I wonder how much wildlife feral cats take out. My cellular game cameras ding two or three times a night with cats. No one near me owns a cat.

Same here. I put the trap out and catch them then relocate them about 5 miles down the road at some "ratty" looking place . :lol2:

Spanish Proverb

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm

We haven't had horned toads or quail in about 25 years. We have plenty of toads and lizards tho. Turkey are all over us. Turtles are crossing the road like crazy during breeding season.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:53 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:30 pm
Bigfoot wrote:
I read an article some times ago that the clams, mussels are not being able to develop because the the water they are in has became acid to the point that it eats up their shells as fast as they can develop them.
I must have a lot of mussels in my pond. I see the empty shells all over the place where coons and herons have pulled them out...and I guess otters are eating them too.
No shortage of toads around here either (except horned toads)
And those green frogs...everywhere. Can't hear yourself think right before a rain in spring and summer.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Post by cowboy43 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:34 pm

Lot of little critters disappeared when the fire ants came in, now we have feral hogs that are destroying a lot critters also.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:25 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:36 pm
We haven't had horned toads or quail in about 25 years. We have plenty of toads and lizards tho. Turkey are all over us. Turtles are crossing the road like crazy during breeding season.
When is the turtle "rut"??

Spanish Proverb

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm

May-June in east Texas. If you barely catch one with your truck tire, it'll go flyin off about 30 ft accross and into the bar ditch...or into a car coming from the other direction...