Sale barn or ?

The place to start if you are new!
WFfarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Sale barn or ?

Post by WFfarm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:53 am

See if your local sales barn has a bulletin board that you can post advertisements on. Buying or selling, it makes for a targeted audience.

SBMF 2015
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by SBMF 2015 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:33 am

M.Magis wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:10 am
Just an option to look into, our local sale barn holds "back to farm" and "replacement female" consignment sales several times each year. Cows are vet checked, etc... I've bought a lot of cows through those sales and all have worked out so far.
Like everything, the key to buying sale barn cows is going to sales and just studying what is going on. If you only go to a cow sale once a year to replace two cull cows, your in over your head. It like playing middle school basketball and thinking your ready for the NBA.

I worked for a sale barn and the sale barn vet for about ten years. I could write books on cattle trader tricks.
The barn I worked at closed ten years ago. So I had to find a new local barn to do business with. There I was just another buyer to them and I spent about a year just going to sales once a month and studying the buyers, sale barn manager, and auctioneer before I felt comfortable being able to pick out the trader cows.
If you see a group of what appears to be nice breds that are advertised as farm fresh, then start noticing that they have ears full of holes from old tags, and they all have brand new consecutive numbered ear tags. RUN! The more you study the more you'll notice that the group doesn't really match for size,frame, or condition. Ask the barn for the owners phone number. Talk to them. Honest sellers are happy to tell you any thing they can about their cows.
The same is true for private treaty & Craigslist cattle.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:03 pm

I have a pasture full of sale barn girls.
The barn is not an evil place but our life blood. The trick is getting to know your neighbors and what they are selling. For years I hauled for my neighbors bought a many a fine cow that rode to and from the barn in my trailer. The barn is not for the rookie get a mentor in your area.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm

So, you mean you took them there, then bid on and bought the ones you wanted ? Why not just buy from them before travel ?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:55 pm

greggy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:38 pm
So, you mean you took them there, then bid on and bought the ones you wanted ? Why not just buy from them before travel ?
I did on some while loading on the trailer. Others if we couldn’t come to agreement I bought when they went through the ring if the price was right. All of the ones in the picture came from the barn.

greggy
GURU
GURU

Post by greggy » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:09 pm

I was thinking price and no argument at a later time saying you ripped them, better to have them know they got best price from the neighbor :)

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:36 pm

greggy wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:09 pm
I was thinking price and no argument at a later time saying you ripped them, better to have them know they got best price from the neighbor :)
The barn is the equalizer cures pasture blindness.
You get what the market is willing to pay. If I bought one of theirs they knew I was the high bidder.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:43 pm

RockinRB
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by RockinRB » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:25 pm

The majority of our cows have come through the sale barn. Some have been great, some have not. More often than not though, the cows turn out to be alright.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:08 am

For several years we have bought 500 or so pound heifers through the ring and most have turned out ok that we kept for cows, we did cull some along the way though. Last year in an effort to increase our herd we bought around 20 bred cows and cow/calf pairs. Some were good and some I should have left there but they sold cheaper and I took a chance, on most that I took the biggest chance on it hasn’t been good results. Most of our cows have come from the yards or we have raised them. You just have to be real careful. My advice would be if it looks like a potential risk in any way let go, I have learned that a lot of times if something is selling considerably cheaper and or slow to no bidding let it go because there is probably a reason that I one else is interested. My mistake was buying some older and thinner cows thinking I could get a calf off of them. Some did some didn’t. As for buying off of a farm private treaty that can be good but can also be just as big of a risk and prices are a lot of times over priced. Sometimes stockyards will have advertised dispersal sales or special heifer sales those are usually a better option.