Box Turtles and Toad Frogs and Bullfrogs.

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Box Turtles and Toad Frogs and Bullfrogs.

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:02 pm

greybeard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
May-June in east Texas. If you barely catch one with your truck tire, it'll go flyin off about 30 ft accross and into the bar ditch...or into a car coming from the other direction...
Late May here.

My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:56 am

greybeard wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 pm
May-June in east Texas. If you barely catch one with your truck tire, it'll go flyin off about 30 ft accross and into the bar ditch...or into a car coming from the other direction...
Used to be around here a decent sized snapping turtle wouldn’t make it across the road. I’ve seen a many a person stop and it them in their truck bed or even trunks of cars. Hasn’t been too many years so I would find jugs in our ponds where folks had climbed fences and set them out.

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm confused... do Chinese eat turtles and frogs?! I thought they ate cats and dogs?! 😅🤣😂 Everyone around here drops cats off at the Chinese restaurants. That's ain't no lie either! 😅🤣😂 😝
I wonder where all the turtles and frogs have gone? 🤔 Maybe they moved to another state... not where I live either. Oh yea slugs too!! Where are they? I used to see them little boogers and put salt on them.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:20 pm

FarmerShell wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:16 pm
I'm confused... do Chinese eat turtles and frogs?! I thought they ate cats and dogs?! 😅🤣😂 Everyone around here drops cats off at the Chinese restaurants. That's ain't no lie either! 😅🤣😂 😝
I wonder where all the turtles and frogs have gone? 🤔 Maybe they moved to another state... not where I live either. Oh yea slugs too!! Where are they? I used to see them little boogers and put salt on them.
I am calling PETA!

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Post by cowboy43 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 am

Numerous times I seen people stop their cars , walk to the middle of the Hwy to pick up and carry a turtle to the bar ditch. They risk their lives and other drivers lives to save the life of a turtle. If you have a flat tire no one stops to help, unless it is a pretty young woman in a short dress. :cboy:

FarmerShell
Rancher
Rancher

Post by FarmerShell » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:34 am

cowboy43 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:59 am
Numerous times I seen people stop their cars , walk to the middle of the Hwy to pick up and carry a turtle to the bar ditch. They risk their lives and other drivers lives to save the life of a turtle. If you have a flat tire no one stops to help, unless it is a pretty young woman in a short dress. :cboy:
😅🤣😂😅🤣😂
What is a bar ditch?
I'd stop to try to help somebody with a flat tire but where I live most likely be a bad situation.... being I wouldn't be much help unless to give them a ride somewhere. High chance of being a methhead here.
I do stop give people rides occasionally. Or people I like to call home free or homies most people call homeless. Or even the panhandler I'll stop give them a few bucks, food, water, sunscreen, gas etc. Just depends on the day. I'll give their dogs hotdogs. Some you can tell are just pass through. Others are panhandlers.
Okay okay yea I'm the crazy girl stopping to save the turtles too!!! Stopping to check on people after wrecks. Nothing wrong with that. I don't put my life in danger doing it.

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Post by cowboy43 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 pm

In Texas a bar ditch is the ditch that runs along beside the highway ,it is lower that the highway thus it is a drainage ditch. The ditch that the county or state mows also it is used for people to throw trash out of their car window, the expression Don’t mess with Texas was created from people throwing trash in the bar ditch :cboy:

ccr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by ccr » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:56 pm

I think "bar ditch" comes from when building roads they would take dirt from the side of the road "borrow" to use to build the road up and have a ditch for drainage. So borrow ditch became bar ditch, kinda like a far stick instead of a fire stick.

And yes a bar ditch is where folks throw their trash. I spent this afternoon picking trash up out of the "bar ditch".
i know as much about this as anything else i don't know much about
happiness is healthy cattle

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Here in Australia when i was a kid in the 1980's there was frogs and tadpoles everywhere. If you had a storm there was tadpoles in all the puddles. Now there are very very few. We'd go to the creeks and catch tadpoles and keep them in our rooms in jars, my kids have missed out on that. I have heard lots of theories why they are gone but none of them seem to make much sense. We still have squillions of earthworms which is a really good sign of soil health.