This site is just what I needed

Let us know who you are.
Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

This site is just what I needed

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:51 pm

I found this site and began browsing it a few days ago and I've found it to be very useful. I didn't grow up on a farm nor have I had any experience with raising cattle, but it's something I always wanted to try so when a relative decided to call it quits due to age, I took him up on his offer to take over. He had sold off his cattle, tractor and most equipment, but I did aquire the land (around 20 acres in pasture with a creek flowing thru the middle.), about 60 round bales of hay he had left over, good perimeter fences and a small corral with a headgate. I alloted myself a certain amount of money that wouldn't put me into a hardship to lose and starting looking for stock. My original plan was to buy bred cows but after cruising the sales barns and calling the local farmers, I couldn't find anyone willing to part with anything worth bringing home. Finally, with the help of an experienced farmer, I attended an aution in Virginia and found 8 black heifers to start my herd. The farmer also offered to let me borrow one of his bulls that he had had good luck with and I plan to breed my cows in late April to early June. Everyone advised me against starting out with heifers, but I had little choice outside of beginning with a bunch of culls.
My computor skills are about on par with my farming knowledge, but I'll try to post a picture of the girls.Image[/img]
0 x

A&Mfarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby A&Mfarms » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:02 pm

Best of luck. I found myself in about the same spot a few months ago. I just try to learn as much as I can from anyone that will offer advice. Some considered good some not so good. By the way the girls look good.
0 x

mitchwi
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mitchwi » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Welcome!
Looks like the pic of the girls was fresh from the sale as they still have their stickers still on :D , as far as prior poster saying they look "skinny" my opinion is from what I can tell they look decent and why pay some one else for what you can put on them cheaper....looks like you did good!
0 x
a woman is like a teabag; you never know how strong she is 'til you add hot water...

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Thanks for the advise and please keep it coming. The picture was taken the day after I got them in late November and doesn't really do them justice. At the time of purchase, they averaged 850 lbs and have no ribs showing. I do feed them hay free choice (round bales in rings), and I suppliment that with 20 lbs of corn guton mix each day. I also keep a mineral block available.
Here's another picture of one corner of my place. The place across the road is not mine but is vacant and I'm allowed to use the outbuildings and to store my hay on that side.
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/b ... bum018.jpg
0 x

simcross
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby simcross » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:37 pm

How much are the heifers weighing now if they are decent size heifers and bred to a Angus bull you should not have much problems of course sometimes there can still be breech birth one leg not coming out ect ect but this can happen in any age or size of cow. Some people talk about having calving problems even when breeding Angus to Angus I remember 20-25 years ago breeding small Angus cows to a Simmental bull
did not have a lot of trouble but once in a while you might get a extra big calf at birth but i got thru it ok I am still here today
0 x

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:42 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote:Didnt say they werent good. Its just I prefer cows no less than a thousand pounds. Those look to be in the 900-950 range. Not bad cows at all. Just not what IM looking for.

Thank you, I took no offense. I'm looking for honest comments. I'll try to post some more representative pictures in a few days if it ever stops raining. The fields are a swamp right now and the creek is neer overflowing.
0 x

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:04 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote:I heard that. My back pasture is a swamp. The front barn lot is like pig slop and the mud is knee deep. Heck my cows have to ford a creek to get to the front field. They dont seem to care. I sent you a pm with a pic of my cows in it and calves. Feel free to check it out and tell me what you think. What kind of minerals do you have these cows on? I know you said you have them on a mineral block. What kind and where is it from. Stay away from the coop minerals if at all possible. If cows are deficient they will have problems some of these problems could be retained placenta when calving and stuff like that.

Thanks for the pics, even with my limited knowledge I can tell that's a great herd. I'll have to find out about the minerals, I just told the people at the feed store what I had and took what they recomended. It's sort of a dark grey sandy color if that helps.
0 x

A&Mfarms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby A&Mfarms » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:07 pm

Where do you suggest you buy minerals from. I buy mine from southern states, but that's just what my granfather did before me. Open to suggestions
0 x

la4angus
GURU
GURU

Postby la4angus » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:10 pm

Looks likde some pretty decent hfrs. They seem to be of good quality, a little thin, but not bad at all. If you have ample hay and feed for them and then spring and green grass coming on they should be ready to breed in the May/June time frame. I would look at them closer if you would resize the pics down so they could be seen without having to scroll to the Atlantic Ocean to see them.

Good luck with them.
Last edited by la4angus on Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Hoff First Edition 058 242

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm

la4angus wrote:Looks likde some pretty decent cows. I would look at them closer if you would resize the pics down so they could be seen without having to scroll to the Atlantic Ocean to see them.

:lol: As I said, my farming knowledge is rivaled only by my computor skills. Try this:http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/bigcreek/BLACKCOWS.jpg
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:56 pm

TurnThatCowLooseMaw wrote:Didnt say they werent good. Its just I prefer cows no less than a thousand pounds. Those look to be in the 900-950 range. Not bad cows at all. Just not what IM looking for.

they look like heifers to me, not full grown cows. i dont see anything wrong with them.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Case IH
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Case IH » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:00 pm

Not to be nosy, but which market in Va. did those come from, they look awfully familiar.
0 x

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Postby Victoria » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:11 pm

They look good and they don't look too wild. Get them nice and calm before calving just in case there is a problem. I know most people say to get older cows as they've done it before but then you are often dealing with someone else's temperment problem.

Do you have a good vet? Look for one now before you need him/her. They can also help you with setting up a good vaccination program for your area and often can tell you what vitamins or minerals your area my be lacking in.
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:20 pm

They look alright to me. Good management and a good bull and you'll be okay. Good luck and enjoy.

Katherine
0 x

lcupit

Postby lcupit » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:23 pm

Good looking group of heifers. Welcome aboard some folks give good advice on here.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”