This site is just what I needed

Let us know who you are.
bullred
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bullred » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:36 am

lcupit wrote:Good looking group of heifers. Welcome aboard some folks give good advice on here.

The key word being "some".
0 x

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:05 am

bullred wrote:
lcupit wrote:Good looking group of heifers. Welcome aboard some folks give good advice on here.

The key word being "some".

I like that bullred.

Nothing wrong with co-op minerals. And please don't think just because you don't give mineral X that your cows will retain their placentas. :x

A good mineral program is a must for a healthy herd. You will not get cows and calves that reach their potential without one. Most "blocks" are trace minerals. Trace minerals are just that, and don't really give cattle enough of what they need Much better to buy loose mineral and put out for your cows. (I use Wind and Rain, but I'm not advocating that you use it) Which minerals you use depends on your farm and what your soil/forage may be defficient in. You can talk to your extension agent or ask your local feed mill what they recommend. A soil test will also help.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

ctlbaron
GURU
GURU

Postby ctlbaron » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:38 am

Welcome Hasbeen, They look like good starters to me. They will fatten up and slick off fine.
0 x
We have the best politicians money can buy. Will Rogers......I think.

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:59 am

Case IH wrote:Not to be nosy, but which market in Va. did those come from, they look awfully familiar.

Near Jonesboro, I forget the name of the barn. They were all from the same farm and I bought them as a group. I sort of stood around and eavesdropped as the oldtimers discussed what looked good to them and this was the group everyone was talking about. They looked good to me so I bought them.
0 x

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:05 am

Victoria wrote:They look good and they don't look too wild. Get them nice and calm before calving just in case there is a problem. I know most people say to get older cows as they've done it before but then you are often dealing with someone else's temperment problem.

They are very tame especially when I have the feed bucket in hand. They're also very active, a lot of running and bucking that I'm hoping will calm down as they get older. They still play like calves. As a beginner I must admit I get a little nervous watching over 7000 lbs of cattle running at me from across the pasture. :o
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Hasbeen...welcome, your heifers look OK to me, hard to tell from a pic anyway. Good luck....DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:51 pm

Had my first small problem this morning. Got a call around 9:00 that the cows were out. I had to go straight up from work but luckily I keep some rubber boots in the truck. Anyway, the creek came up last night and some debris caught in a section of fence and washed it away. The girls figured it would be a nice time to do a little wandering but fortunately didn't go too far. I just took the feed bucket with me and led them back in. Once I got repairs made to the electric fence I tested it by hand which sort of made up for not getting to finish my coffee this morning.
0 x

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Oops, forgot to log in. The above post was me.
0 x

Bama
GURU
GURU

Postby Bama » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:10 pm

Welcome from Alabama as well. Those heifers look fine for coming from the salebarn. They may be a little on the thin side but it ain't nothing you can't take care of. I also use Co-op minerals and have had excellent results with them. I buy some that are a lot thinner than those. I work them and fatten em up and do quite well on them.
0 x
Culling solves 75% of your problems.

Mallen23
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Mallen23 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:33 am

I use Sweetlix Copperhead minerals and recommend them. They have worked excellent for me. The cows really like them and I have had excellent breed back results that I like to attribute to the mineral program. I found that my cows did not like the co-op minerals as well (based on the fact that they tended to last longer than other minerals I had tried). The copperhead is usually around $10 per bag on average.

Regardless of which brand you choose, make sure the cows have them. Loose minerals would be me recommendation versus blocks.
0 x
Mickey Allen
Sweetgum Farms
Lexington, Alabama

Hasbeen
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Hasbeen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:44 am

Since where discussing minerals, can someone tell me what I should ask for? I don't know what you mean by co-op etc. I admit I just walked into the local feed store and asked for a mineral block. Whatever it is, the cows seem to like it. I've noticed they all take a turn at it immediately after I feed them their gluton mix. I also put a block up on the mountain for the elk cow that moved in last spring. She raised a calf up there last summer and I got some nice pictures by setting up a trail cam near the mineral block.
0 x

cypressfarms
GURU
GURU

Postby cypressfarms » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 pm

[quote="Hasbeen"]Since where discussing minerals, can someone tell me what I should ask for? I don't know what you mean by co-op etc. I admit I just walked into the local feed store and asked for a mineral block. Whatever it is, the cows seem to like it.[quote]

My guess is that TTCLM meant generic when he mentioned co-op minerals. The mineral block that you bought is most likely a trace mineral blcok, which really doesn't give the cattle all they need. Short term, you can go back to your feed store and ask what types of loose minerals they have and what they recommend (most come in 50 lb bags like feed does). I use one made by Purina called Wind and Rain. It's put out in the pasture, where the cows can eat all that they want. I usually locate it close to the water troughs, as that way I know they will routinely walk by it.

Long term, get a soil test and find out exactly what your area is difficient in. Your local extension agent can help you with this. Some areas will have minerals in the soil (and therefore in the grass), where other areas will be difficient in one or more particular minerals. This is when you can choose a mineral from a more educated standpoint, based on what you need.

For the time being, though, I would just go with what the feed mill recommends until you can find out your particular needs.
0 x
waiting for something really important to say

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 pm

Good looking girls. Most everything is trial and error. Good luck. Be patient and it will all work out.

Double R
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”