New Cowboy

Let us know who you are.
Scat_Right
Cowhand
Cowhand

New Cowboy

Postby Scat_Right » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:54 pm

I am an East Texas high school football coach who has always dreamed of ranching. My passion is football and for years that is all that has consumed my thoughts. That makes for a boring spring and summer. What I needed was something else to focus my attention to.

I have always admired, respected and was intrigued by cattle ranchers. I have read about them, watched movies about them, dreamed of riding with Gus and Captain.

But in my profession, you don't always get to stay in the same town, especially when you coach TEXAS high school football. But, I got a chance to move to a family ranch house surrounded by 200 acres of pasture and woods, and coach at a great school with a winning tradition. Life is good. So I though if there ever was a time to chase my other dream, this has to be it.

So I did it, went to the sell barn with a friend and came home with two pairs and two bred cows. One week and I am hooked. I love it. I probably have given out too many cubes, and my wife thinks I have lost my mind- I spend lots of time talking to cows. But like I said, life is good. I am getting to fulfill two dreams at once. Cattle Ranching and Football Coaching. Watch out Bum Phillips, here I come.
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Welcome Scat. (can we say Scat here?)

Anyway welcome to the boards. Talkin to your cows aint nothin to be ashamed of, do it all the time. ;-)
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Scat_Right
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Scat_Right » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:19 pm

Scat is fine.

Hope to have pictures soon.

My wife has already named the place -

"The Knee Deep Ranch"

We are having fun.
0 x

alabama
GURU
GURU

Postby alabama » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:37 pm

Scat_Right wrote:Scat is fine.

Hope to have pictures soon.

My wife has already named the place -

"The Knee Deep Ranch"

We are having fun.

Best of luck to you. Cattle are a great escape from the grind of other activites.
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:10 pm

Welcome Scat...hope that you got your fences in order before you turned out the herd... DMc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Scat_Right
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Scat_Right » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Right now I have them in a 5 acre pen. Spent a Sat. getting it ready. Now I have to go along and get the rest of the place lined up. But so far everything is going well.
0 x

Australian Cattleman
GURU
GURU

Postby Australian Cattleman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:53 pm

Welcome to the board.You have a good time with your cattle. I love mine,all the breeds I have. I'd have more breeds if I had the space and time.
I have Brahman,South Devon and Hereford and a few Simbrah and Charolais as well as South Brahvon and the crosses of Black Baldy and Brahman Hereford cross. I'd love to have some Tarentaise,Galloway,Red Sindhi and Highland would be my additions if I had the space.
Colin
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:01 pm

Welcome Scat! What's wrong with talking to the cows? I talk to ours all the time.
0 x

Bez!
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez! » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41 pm

msscamp wrote:Welcome Scat! What's wrong with talking to the cows? I talk to ours all the time.

Hey msscamp - I do not know any cowboy or cowgal that does not talk to the cows.

Most times it is relatively friendly albeit one sided conversation - but every now and then it can get out of hand! :lol:

Bez!
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:44 pm

Bez! wrote:
msscamp wrote:Welcome Scat! What's wrong with talking to the cows? I talk to ours all the time.

Hey msscamp - I do not know any cowboy or cowgal that does not talk to the cows.

Most times it is relatively friendly albeit one sided conversation - but every now and then it can get out of hand! :lol:

Bez!

Isn't that the truth! I've found a few that talk back, but deciphering their meaning gets rather interesting! :lol: :lol:
0 x

s_cooper
Beginner
Beginner

Postby s_cooper » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:36 am

my mum loves chattin with the cows im sure they must talk back and insult her or sumthin' cos she always leaves me with all the work, not that i mind that too much.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:48 am

s_cooper wrote:my mum loves chattin with the cows im sure they must talk back and insult her or sumthin' cos she always leaves me with all the work, not that i mind that too much.

I've always found working with cows to be therapeutic and relaxing - as long as they do what I want them to do, anyway. There is nothing quite like a bunch of cows laying around contentedly chewing their cuds! :D Maybe it's just the opposite and your Mum has inadvertantly insulted one of the cows resulting in attitude and a failure to cooperate? I've been guilty of that, too! :oops: :lol: :lol: Those old cows can sure develop an attitude when they are misunderstood or insulted! ;-)
0 x

s_cooper
Beginner
Beginner

Postby s_cooper » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:57 am

geez the way you describe that almost makes me wish i was an old cow layin' about chawin' me cud.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:07 am

s_cooper wrote:geez the way you describe that almost makes me wish i was an old cow layin' about chawin' me cud.

:lol2: :lol2: Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be such a bad life - except for the slaughter part and possibly the bunting. :shock: Don't think I would like either one. On a more serious note, that's the first thing I look for when I'm checking the cows, if they are chewing their cud nothing is going on, nothing is wrong, nobody is calving, there is peace, harmony, and contentedness throughout the herd, life is good and I can go to bed! ;-)
0 x

s_cooper
Beginner
Beginner

Postby s_cooper » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:20 am

well good for the herd.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”