New Cowboy

Let us know who you are.
Farmhand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farmhand » Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:26 pm

Would like to extend my welcome as well.
0 x
Rev. Crowder for President

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:17 pm

msscamp wrote:
s_cooper wrote:geez the way you describe that almost makes me wish i was an old cow layin' about chawin' me cud.

:lol2: :lol2: Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be such a bad life - except for the slaughter part and possibly the bunting. :shock: Don't think I would like either one...

Or that castrating part. :cry: :cry: I'd rather go to slaughter. :cry: :cry:
0 x

s_cooper
Beginner
Beginner

Postby s_cooper » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:49 pm

yea...except we don't castrate our cows
0 x

skip
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby skip » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:04 pm

As a retired coach / principal, I know how you feel. We started our place 5 years before retirement. Cows don't give you near as much heartburn as some of those beloved students, parents,and community coaches.

I wake up every morning looking forward to TALKING to my girls and my bull "ELVIS".

Welcome to the board and good luck.
0 x

Bud In lower Ala
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Bud In lower Ala » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Welcome Scat, Do you know Lone Oak, TX. Lived there about 3 years and had a few cows in Cumby. Called my place The Second Choice, because if you saw it you would know it couldn't be anyones first choice. My God bless your new endeaver :cboy: :D
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Scat,
now all you gotta do is KEEP WINNING.

msscamp wrote: Now that you mention it, it wouldn't be such a bad life - except for the slaughter part and possibly the bunting. :shock: Don't think I would like either one. On a more serious note, that's the first thing I look for when I'm checking the cows, if they are chewing their cud nothing is going on, nothing is wrong, nobody is calving, there is peace, harmony, and contentedness throughout the herd, life is good and I can go to bed! ;-)

Yeah, easy for you to say... I would have been culled years ago for a questionable disposition and being a hard keeper. not to mention for tearing the place to shreds to escape castration day.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:36 pm

Beefy wrote:Yeah, easy for you to say... I would have been culled years ago for a questionable disposition and being a hard keeper. not to mention for tearing the place to shreds to escape castration day.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
0 x

coolwater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: New Cowboy

Postby coolwater » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:55 pm

Scat_Right wrote:I am an East Texas high school football coach who has always dreamed of ranching. My passion is football and for years that is all that has consumed my thoughts. That makes for a boring spring and summer. What I needed was something else to focus my attention to.

I have always admired, respected and was intrigued by cattle ranchers. I have read about them, watched movies about them, dreamed of riding with Gus and Captain.

But in my profession, you don't always get to stay in the same town, especially when you coach TEXAS high school football. But, I got a chance to move to a family ranch house surrounded by 200 acres of pasture and woods, and coach at a great school with a winning tradition. Life is good. So I though if there ever was a time to chase my other dream, this has to be it.

So I did it, went to the sell barn with a friend and came home with two pairs and two bred cows. One week and I am hooked. I love it. I probably have given out too many cubes, and my wife thinks I have lost my mind- I spend lots of time talking to cows. But like I said, life is good. I am getting to fulfill two dreams at once. Cattle Ranching and Football Coaching. Watch out Bum Phillips, here I come.
welcome scat.dont be ashamed about talking to your cattle.i do it everyday.to me it seems to put em at ease somewhat kinda bonding.i just dont tell the steers they are getting good looking sirloins :lol:
0 x
there are many ways to remove a wasp nest but only a few ways without getting stung.in life there are many wasp nests.

andybob
GURU
GURU

New cowboy

Postby andybob » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:39 pm

I used to sing to mine untill someone compared my singing in an unfavourable comparison to Kermit's (If you can't be better than a frog, who can you be better than?).
Welcome to the boards-Andy.
0 x
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

Saltydawg
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Saltydawg » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:44 pm

Haha...Kermit.

Welcome to the boards Scat.
0 x

Scat_Right
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Scat_Right » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:17 am

Bud In lower Ala wrote:Welcome Scat, Do you know Lone Oak, TX. Lived there about 3 years and had a few cows in Cumby. Called my place The Second Choice, because if you saw it you would know it couldn't be anyones first choice. My God bless your new endeaver :cboy: :D

Know Lone Oak very well. Played them in the playoffs this year. We were down at the half and came back to get them in the end.

How about this, we lost in the playoffs to the BRAHMAS from Paul Pewitt.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:45 pm

msscamp wrote:
Beefy wrote:Yeah, easy for you to say... I would have been culled years ago for a questionable disposition and being a hard keeper. not to mention for tearing the place to shreds to escape castration day.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

i think i'd be what they call KOBE beef, too.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

txfbc
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby txfbc » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:52 pm

Scat_Right wrote:
Bud In lower Ala wrote:Welcome Scat, Do you know Lone Oak, TX. Lived there about 3 years and had a few cows in Cumby. Called my place The Second Choice, because if you saw it you would know it couldn't be anyones first choice. My God bless your new endeaver :cboy: :D

Know Lone Oak very well. Played them in the playoffs this year. We were down at the half and came back to get them in the end.

How about this, we lost in the playoffs to the BRAHMAS from Paul Pewitt.

I'm in the same situation you are scat. This is my 12th year coaching and i've got a few along with some of my grandmother's cows. Nice to go out after a long day at school and just hang out with the cows
0 x

Scat_Right
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Scat_Right » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:54 am

I am enjoying my cows. Got pictures and will post them on the beginners board.
0 x

LisaJoy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LisaJoy » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:02 pm

Welcome Scat. I've been officially a member for less than 24 hours, and I can't tell ya how great everybody is at helpin out with great advice. You're in a good place. Congrats on making your dreams come true, by the way!
0 x
Rise N Shine Ranch
A bitty farm with our Piedmontese Crossbred Beef Cattle

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”