Ya guys gotta help me...

Let us know who you are.
Angus Cattle Girl
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Ya guys gotta help me...

Postby Angus Cattle Girl » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:46 pm

I live in Colorado. I'm a 14 year old girl active in the Fremont County Fair and Colorado State Fair. For 6 years now, I have been raising market steers out of my family's herd and taking them to show. I am done pretty well, earning around $5,000 for my steers. Last year was horrible. I got last place with both my steers. I went to state for the experience, also getting last in my class, also doing horrible in showmanship. I'm here to learn about A.I.'ing and to learn better selection and showmanship techniques. It'd be real peachy if ya'll could help me out. I'm hopin to get the purple at least one time, be it in a jackpot, county, or state, maybe even national show.
0 x

mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mdmdogs3 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:28 pm

one thing that I would do is get a copy of the judges rule book - ask the county official that works with 4H. I judged a 4H dog show once and was surprised to learn that most of the kids hadn't read the rule book. The book I was given was very very clear on what I was supposed to judge, what I was supposed to give in points and for what items...
I'd also figure out who got first place last year - and become their friend and trainee..... 8)
0 x

warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:41 am

Good advice md. Welcome angus girl. :D
0 x
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm

Double R Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Double R Ranch » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:11 am

Welcome to the board. Wish we could help. Best of luck.

Double R
0 x

SF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SF » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:19 pm

Did you go to the NWSS? Some of the best showers and cattle in the world were there. Go to more shows, watch and learn. Try some clinics on showmanship. These things will be much more help than this board will.
0 x

Angus Cattle Girl
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Angus Cattle Girl » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:03 pm

Yeah I went to the NWSS. I go there every year. Even though this year I should have went around the cattle yards and barn asking exhibitors about stuff to learn more. I feel quite ridiculous now that I didn't. :x But hopefully, either for my last year in 4-H or as an adult exhibitor, I will have a claf that can compete with the others up there. :cboy:
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”