kinda of new

Let us know who you are.
austinssteer
Cowhand
Cowhand

kinda of new

Postby austinssteer » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi I have been reading here for about a month. It all started when my 4 year old son wanted Santa to bring him a baby cow for Christmas. That is all he asked Santa for, so we had to get him one. Christmas morning he got up and Santa had left a bottle, milk replacer, halter, rope, and a note that his baby cow was outside. He went out there and Santa left him a baby cow and built him a little barn to keep warm in. So I needed to start learning more about cattle and found this place. I really enjoy the coffee shop and have learned alot from the other forums. CROWDER FOR PRESIDENT :D ;-)
0 x
Sandy

la4angus
GURU
GURU

Re: kinda of new

Postby la4angus » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:09 pm

austinssteer wrote: I really enjoy the coffee shop and have learned alot from the other forums. CROWDER FOR PRESIDENT :D ;-)
Hey Crowder, now you bribing your wife??
0 x
Hoff First Edition 058 242

Crowderfarms
Wagon Master
Wagon Master

Re: kinda of new

Postby Crowderfarms » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:03 pm

la4angus wrote:
austinssteer wrote: I really enjoy the coffee shop and have learned alot from the other forums. CROWDER FOR PRESIDENT :D ;-)
Hey Crowder, now you bribing your wife??
I dont know a thing about it LA4.I dont think she has a price. At least one I can afford...
0 x
Hoss, Please stay!

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:24 pm

atta boy, skip the pony phase and move right on to raising cows.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:20 am

Welcome to the boards, austinssteer. Don't mind the yahoo's who answered previously. They are just looking to have a little fun. Lots of good folks here, including the yahoo's, with lots of good information. Come on up to the fire and have a cup of coffee! :)
0 x

austinssteer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby austinssteer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:29 am

Thanks for the welcome MSSCAMP. I dont mind the yahoo's, just trying to make a few friends and learn a little about cattle.
0 x
Sandy

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:32 am

You're welcome! You've come to the right place! Might need a thick skin, sometimes, but the information here is top notch and the possibility for making friends is unlimited! ;-)
Last edited by msscamp on Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:32 am

am i assuming (from your screenname) correctly that you actually got him a steer calf?
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:36 am

Beefy wrote:am i assuming (from your screenname) correctly that you actually got him a steer calf?

Ummmmm, maybe I'm missing something here, but is that not what a calf who was banded at birth would be called?
0 x

austinssteer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby austinssteer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:38 am

Yes we had it done after we got him. Some people told me he would not be a mean. My son is only four and it is a pet nothing more. He gets up early every morning and feeds him and every afternoon when we get home. He also cleans his pen and like to brush him.
0 x
Sandy

austinssteer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby austinssteer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:38 am

good answer. thats what i thought.
0 x
Sandy

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:41 am

msscamp wrote:
Beefy wrote:am i assuming (from your screenname) correctly that you actually got him a steer calf?

Ummmmm, maybe I'm missing something here, but is that not what a calf who was banded at birth would be called?

Maybe I'M missing something since i can't find that tidbit of information anywhere in the post-
maybe if i read it again for the 5th time...
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:48 am

should i have previously known that before i asked?
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:48 am

austinssteer wrote:Yes we had it done after we got him. Some people told me he would not be a mean. My son is only four and it is a pet nothing more. He gets up early every morning and feeds him and every afternoon when we get home. He also cleans his pen and like to brush him.

I do not mean to talk down to you nor imply anything, but I would caution you about the degree you let your son interact with this calf. It sounds like you are unfamiliar with cattle and this steer can seriously hurt your son without meaning to. A calf running around and kicking an adult is a bruise, but a calf kicking a 4 year old child is something else entirely. And that does not take into account bunting, or just rough housing on the part of the calf. They are not pets.
0 x

austinssteer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby austinssteer » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:55 am

I have been around cows before. He is very interested in cows. When I say a pet I mean we will not be eating him. I am always out there with him. It is to see how much he like cows and maybe get more involved with cattle.
0 x
Sandy

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”