pics of cow problems and other stuff -- for the newbies

Cattle problems.
Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:58 am

Good idear MilkMaid. i looked thru my pics, i dont really have any useful ones to add i dont think.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Postby Limomike » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:10 am

Thanks alot Milkmaid... Your time and effort is appreciated!!
0 x
** All good things take time ***

gabby
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gabby » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Calf with a knot on its side:

I posted this on this forum a couple of years ago to ask what it was. Nobody seemed to know for sure.

I replied I would check on it again when I got back from a weekend trip, and some joker replied that people like me shouldn't be allowed to own animals!! Obviously he thought I should have immediately called the vet.

Yeah, right, spend 100 bucks for the vet to come out and tell me just to watch it and call if it gets worse.

btw, it never went away and it never bothered her, but when I sold her the price got docked about .15 per lb.
0 x

sewall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sewall » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:15 pm

When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?
0 x

Victoria
GURU
GURU

Postby Victoria » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Great idea milkmaid! This is exactly what this boaard needs. If I come across anything I will send it on, I hope others will as well.
0 x

funky 4-Her
Rancher
Rancher

Postby funky 4-Her » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:50 pm

sewall wrote:When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?

Yeah, the enlarged navel... I think it is only a bad thing if the skin is punctured...?? We have a heifer like that now shes had it since she was born. We also had a cow that had one her whole life and didn't seem to bother her. I think, but I'm not sure it is that the stomach/body wall didn't close up when they were a calf so part of the stomach is down in that little "pot".
0 x
Live for the moments that you can't put into words & never regret something that once made you smile!

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:08 pm

sewall wrote:When you talk about the hernia, are you talking about the navel area. I have two cows that have navels just like that. Is that a bad thing?

Some breeds, like Braham-influenced cows, naturally have a lot of "hide", and they just have a lot of skin around the throat, chest, and navel/sheath area. Beefy, I'm sure you've got a good pic of your beefmasters that'd show that.

I found the Merck Vet Manual explained hernias better than I could... "Hernias involving the abdomen are seen when abdominal contents protrude through a natural or abnormal opening in the body wall. They may be congenital or acquired. In acquired hernias, there is usually a history of trauma. Congenital hernias may involve the diaphragm or the abdominal wall. Hernias involving the abdominal wall include umbilical, inguinal, or scrotal." If you push on the lump at the navel area and can get the area to go back up into the abdominal cavity, you have a hernia. You can also feel the ring of the hole where the intestines came through; on calves, it's usually around the size of a half-dollar, larger animals I've found to be more fist-sized.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:18 pm

i'm going to go look for some problems to take pictures of right now milkmaid. hopefully i wont find very much.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

randiliana
GURU
GURU

Postby randiliana » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:39 pm

Here is a calf that had an infected ear as a calf. Unfortunately we did not catch it in time and now the ear is permanantly deformed. Cause by incorrect tagging, or just that this calf had a reaction to the ear tag. We had 2 this year (usually we have none) The other calf was caught early enough that his ear healed up normally.

tn_DSC05157.jpg
Last edited by randiliana on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” Thomas A. Edisonl

Randi

My Blog
http://easygenes.blogspot.com/

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:42 am

Good job MM....ever thought about working on a "read me first" thread for the new folks in the business?
Couldn't get a shot of a scowering calf or normal and loose plops, I'll keep a camera at the ready just in case.
Good luck on your next year at school....Dave Mc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

Txwalt
GURU
GURU

Postby Txwalt » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Thanks MM! :D

Walt
0 x
Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

OxyBlast
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OxyBlast » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:55 am

Yes thanks for the pictures. I am a newbie and learned much with just the pictures alone and details. Great!
0 x
"Hydrogen peroxide is one of the few simple miracle substances still available to the public." - Dr. David Williams

milkmaid
GURU
GURU

Postby milkmaid » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:26 am

Susie David wrote:Good job MM....ever thought about working on a "read me first" thread for the new folks in the business?

I hadn't... that's a good idea though. Maybe next week. ;-)

Thanks y'all, and you're welcome; glad you're finding the pictures helpful.
0 x
Basics needed to answer questions: age, weight, breed, sex. # affected vs # in group, feed type/amount, prior vaccinations, deworming, antibiotics, any recent changes....

More info = better answers.

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 pm

milkmaid here are some pics you may or may not want to include. put them wherever you want to and elaborate on them and then i'll delete mine to save bandwidth.

this old angus cow is a good example of bottlejaw, in her case from being very wormy. also note the depressed look she has

this one is just normal underline of brahman influence calf to compare with hernia of nonbrahman influenced animal. i can probably find a better example.
edited to say heres another.

Warts. notice texture, looks like cauliflower.

more later.

(well crap, isee you already have a bottlejaw.)
0 x

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 pm

heifer 24 hours prior to calving.
same heifer calving the next day.

placental attachment

vaginal prolapse
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”