Hay Rings

The place to start if you are new!
wtrapp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Hay Rings

Postby wtrapp » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm looking at buying a cone style hay ring. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Bextra Feeders. Please give me your thoughts both good and bad. Thanks
0 x

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Rings

Postby SRBeef » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:10 pm

wtrapp wrote:I'm looking at buying a cone style hay ring. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Bextra Feeders. Please give me your thoughts both good and bad. Thanks

I have a Bextra grey colored feeder that probably saves more hay than any other but my main complaint about them is the difficulty putting one of my big 6 ft diameter bales in it. Most of my bales will just not fit cleanly down the middle. They tell me the inside is 6' 6" diameter. But bales that have been sitting are not perfectly round and my supplier makes them a bit over 6 ft anyway.

If you are using smaller bales then no problem with size. My other comment is that when using the Bextra for weaned calves, they just can not reach to the center of the feeder to finish a bale. The Bextra almost always requires me to move the bale or feeder or otherwise mess with it to finish the center of the bale.

However the Bextra does save a lot of hay. jmho. Jim
Last edited by SRBeef on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tin Man
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tin Man » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 pm

check out J and L haysavers.com we have one and love it.
0 x
Presnell Farms
Banner Elk, NC

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:13 am

Tin Man wrote:check out J and L haysavers.com we have one and love it.

How much?
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

c farmer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby c farmer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:40 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Tin Man wrote:check out J and L haysavers.com we have one and love it.

How much?

I have a j&l hay saver but mine is mounted on a big rubber tire and cost $1100.00, But I can feed hay all winter and only have about 4 inches of waste in the end. The tire will never rot like the steel.
0 x

packfanrdf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby packfanrdf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Can you fit a 6 foot bale in a J & L feeder. And how do you lift them to move them without harming them.
0 x

packfanrdf
Beginner
Beginner

Postby packfanrdf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:04 pm

Has anyone used a Cyclone type bale feeder. And what is the cost?
0 x

wtrapp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wtrapp » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:31 pm

I use 5x5 rolls so I may be able to get in the feeder. My main concern was about calves and if they could reach the center. The closest dealer to me on the Bextra only carries the red feeders and they run $525.00 give or tak a buck but carry a 4 year warranty with them. I'm going to check out the J & L to see if there is a dealer in Tennessee. Anyone else with feedback or other hay rings to look at? Thanks
0 x

c farmer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby c farmer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 pm

wtrapp wrote:My main concern was about calves and if they could reach the center

What happens is when the cows are eating the hay the bottom of the feeder(or in my case the tire) will catch what the cows drop and the calves can eat out of the tire.
0 x

Roan
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Roan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:27 am

The calves eat out of the bottom of the j & L hay saver without problems. As they get bigger they get right in there. We use the sprear to move it when needed, it is heavy. We have found that it does save hay alot better than regular hay ring.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 am

All research I have read rates feeders in this order:
CONES
RING
TRAILER
CRADLE
There is a big savings difference between the cone & rings vs the trailer & cradle type - but there wasn't that big a % difference between the cone & the ring. I'll see if I can find a article. Anyway, the cones are so costly, I'm not sure hay saved would pay for it for many years.
Here you go. This is from Beef Magazine:
•Dry matter hay waste was 3.5%, 6.1%, 11.4% and 14.6% for the cone, ring, trailer and cradle feeders, respectively.
Here's whole article.
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_cone_f ... index.html
This has been compared by several different researchers. I have never seen anything majorly different.
You are talking 2.6% difference. Management & ground type would make more of a difference than these trials.
So if a bale was worth $30, you would save $0.78 per bale.
Worth $50 = $1.30

I've been buying my best round feeders with skirts for $175 from truckload from South.
But, say you buy one for $300 and these cones costs $1000 - that's about 700 bales fed (out of ONE feeder) before you break even.
Granted, my $175-$300 feeder will not last as long, but I usually get a minimum of about 8-10 years out of them. I presently have 12 ring feeders - could use more.
Sorry, I'm way too cheap for them - plus you need a pretty good tractor to move them around with the front end loader - a lot of beef producers don't have a very big tractor.
JRBeef posted one http://www.commonsensemfg.com/balefeeder.htm
I haven't heard a quote yet.
0 x

c farmer
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby c farmer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 am

I was using the ring style before the j&l feeder and had alot more waste with the rings, for me I feel that the cost of the feeder was worth it. Plus they will last alot longer,I was getting only 3 years out of the rings.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:49 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: - but there wasn't that big a % difference between the cone & the ring. I'll see if I can find a article. Anyway, the cones are so costly, I'm not sure hay saved would pay for it for many years.

I probably ought to skim the article first...but just from gut feeling.... I would think the cone feeders would be better for those that put a roll out for a few cows over a long period and they would probably see less wasted. Might not have 20-30% of a bale left that the cows won't eat. Saving that kind of hay expense might pay for an "expensive" ring fairly quick.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:12 am

1982vett wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: - but there wasn't that big a % difference between the cone & the ring. I'll see if I can find a article. Anyway, the cones are so costly, I'm not sure hay saved would pay for it for many years.

I probably ought to skim the article first...but just from gut feeling.... I would think the cone feeders would be better for those that put a roll out for a few cows over a long period and they would probably see less wasted. Might not have 20-30% of a bale left that the cows won't eat. Saving that kind of hay expense might pay for an "expensive" ring fairly quick.

Not sure if you understood what I printed. There was 2.6% difference between the cones & the rings - not 20-30%. The article said these were 7 day intervals. If you are getting 20-30% waste, it is more management than feeder.
I feel there is a lot of difference between the rings with skirts & the ones without.
If you refill your feeder before cows finish the original bale - yes, you will see more waste - but that is with ANY feeder. Cows won't eat OLD stuff unless you make them. My cows go without hay for maybe a day out of the week - they do clean up.
0 x

Roan
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Roan » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:18 am

You are correct Jeanne, the cost is expensive vs return but the amt of hay we have saved has helped us, also with clean up of pad in winter and we have had it for approx 3yrs and still like new. We use regular hay ring for replacements not in with herd and everyday I see the difference. LOL
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”