Hay Rings

The place to start if you are new!
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Rings

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:32 am

But return on investment is crutial to our bottom line. EVERYTHING has to be cost effective. If I was short of hay, I could purchase hay and save money vs the amount of hay saved.
If you feed 100 bales a year, the savings is 2.6 bales.
And if you are getting an excessive amount of waste - I say it's management more than the type of feeder. Management in the quality of feed - managment in the overfeeding - management in the area being fed (excessive mud) - all of these factors would waste feed no matter what feeder type.
Guess I'm too cheap. My cows work for me, I don't work for them (well, I try to make it that way) :banana: in spite of what a lot of you think.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
1982vett wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote: - but there wasn't that big a % difference between the cone & the ring. I'll see if I can find a article. Anyway, the cones are so costly, I'm not sure hay saved would pay for it for many years.

I probably ought to skim the article first...but just from gut feeling.... I would think the cone feeders would be better for those that put a roll out for a few cows over a long period and they would probably see less wasted. Might not have 20-30% of a bale left that the cows won't eat. Saving that kind of hay expense might pay for an "expensive" ring fairly quick.

Not sure if you understood what I printed. There was 2.6% difference between the cones & the rings - not 20-30%. The article said these were 7 day intervals. If you are getting 20-30% waste, it is more management than feeder.
I feel there is a lot of difference between the rings with skirts & the ones without.
If you refill your feeder before cows finish the original bale - yes, you will see more waste - but that is with ANY feeder. Cows won't eat OLD stuff unless you make them. My cows go without hay for maybe a day out of the week - they do clean up.

Ok, I skimmed the article, They don't say how they fed (a weeks worth vs. a days worth). So being a bale feeder, and now assuming they feed a weeks worth of hay (being they picked up and measured the waste every day) and not just what they would consume in a day......my assumptions may be wrong.

My comment meant that I would have thought the cone feeders would save more than the ordinary ring feeders in a "bale last all week" situation. If they don't then I agree, why pay that much more for so little return.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

kerley
GURU
GURU

Postby kerley » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:52 am

My complaint about the regular round bale feeders is, They are made with a lighter guage steel and bend. If there is a brand that is made of heavy guage steel, I would like to know where they can be bought. Thanks,
~Tom.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 am

kerley wrote:My complaint about the regular round bale feeders is, They are made with a lighter guage steel and bend. If there is a brand that is made of heavy guage steel, I would like to know where they can be bought. Thanks,
~Tom.

I don't think they are out there Tom.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Cowdirt
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Cowdirt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:13 am

kerley wrote:My complaint about the regular round bale feeders is, They are made with a lighter guage steel and bend. If there is a brand that is made of heavy guage steel, I would like to know where they can be bought. Thanks,
~Tom.

Tom, I buy my hayrings from TN Co-op. I buy the heavy duty ones without a skirt, though I may go with the skirted ones if I buy more. Some of my rings were bought in 1991 and they are not rusted through on the bottom ring and no tubes have significant bending. I remove them from the mud at the end of feeding season but leave them outside year around. You can find TN Co-ops near the Ala border in most small towns. Here's a link if you want to look over their products. http://www.ourcoop.com/ourcoop05/main/default.aspx BTW, I attribute their long life to the fact that I don't remove the sisal twine before feeding ;-)
0 x
CD

wtrapp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wtrapp » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes, I am currently using the same Heavy Duty rings from the Co-op and they have yet to bend.This is my 4th winter feeding 25 head. I have also done more research and for what I pay to have my hay cut raked and rolled I can get 25 rolls for the cost of one Bextra Feeder. I have no doubt these feeders save lots of hay but I'm also begining to question if the savings is worth the Feeder cost.
Think I'll go back to the Co-op staying with their Heavy Duty line.
0 x

Tin Man
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tin Man » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:16 am

I have 7 cows in one place and feeding them with the old type hay ring where the hay is on the ground without a skirt on the bottom and I have 9 in a other field with the J and L feeder and they eat one day longer on a roll of hay.
0 x
Presnell Farms
Banner Elk, NC

Calman
GURU
GURU

Postby Calman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:28 am

~Tom.

Know what you mean Kerley,but if you found one heavy enough not to bend then it would probably be too heavy to handle,without the forks on your tractor.When I put out hay here I use the tractor but when going down to the south place I have to use the hay buggy.

Cal
0 x
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" Thomas Paine

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:52 pm

It takes roughly 80 foot of material to build a good cradle. You could consider drill stem for the uprights and cross members. Just put two 15 degree bends in the cross sections or cut them in and weld them out. Lighter steel would suffice for the rails. For me wieght would not be an issue because I could lift them with the tractor.

Now that I know how well they work, next time I get a load of drill stem, time permitting, I'll probably build a few heavy duty versions.

The trampoline frames worked for me because they were available. What else are old trampoline frames good for? :D
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Re: Hay Rings - pics of rings from today & bales in the snow

Postby SRBeef » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:59 pm

I was checking on my cattle today. The calculations seem to be working out. I figure 25% hay and 75% corn.

Tomorrow I will open up some more corn and put out some hay. I am also going to weigh all of the calves then sort the steers over to be with the cows and bull in the corn and sort the bred BWF heifers over to be with the weaned heifers on hay only.

I was going to sell the two BWF and bred them early but changed my mind. They should come off of corn since they are due to calve around March 1, a couple weeks ahead of the others.

The steers will hopefully pick up how to eat corn from the bull and cows. 8 weeks since weaning so should be ok with the cows. I hope.

I use cradles for the calves* but rings for the 25% hay for the cows and bull. Here is a picture of two styles of round rings I use. The grey one is the Bextra. Green one is a very heavy duty standard type with tubing rather than thin sheets around the bottom. They will finish the hay today.

The snow had blown quite a bit so had to use the loader and the blade to get to some bales for tomorrow.

Good thing Wisconsin is so pretty in the winter - it's dang cold!

* = calves can get at all of the hay in the cradle type feeders but have a rough time reaching the center of the round rings.

Jim

reply to photo question above: use http://www.Photobucket.com (rather than Ranchers) as suggested to me by another poster here.
0 x

MrBilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MrBilly » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:43 pm

The J and L rings are great. We have had them for several years and won't go back to anything else.
Luckily we bought, with others, a trailer load at the time and they were only $650 each. For once, I made the right decision.

Billy
0 x
Registered Angus and Angus based commercial cattle; direct Angus beef sales

wtrapp
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wtrapp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 am

I broke down and bought one of the Bextra Hay Rings. Had it for two weeks now. Wish I had four more. Very little waste. A 5 X 5 roll fits great in the ring. It is very heavy so I use the spear to move but with no problem.
0 x

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Postby SRBeef » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:26 am

wtrapp wrote:I broke down and bought one of the Bextra Hay Rings. Had it for two weeks now. Wish I had four more. Very little waste. A 5 X 5 roll fits great in the ring. It is very heavy so I use the spear to move but with no problem.

I agree the Bextra is about the least waste ring of the types I use and it probably works great with 5 ft diameter bales but with my big 6 ft bales it is almost impossible to drop them in there with a bale spear - mine is starting to bend from dropping 1500 lb bales onto it.

Jim
0 x

Running Arrow Bill
GURU
GURU

Postby Running Arrow Bill » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:34 am

We've been using the Applegate Steel's "Tombstone" round bale feeders (when we can find them). They are the RED Horse/Longhorn type that are 8' diameter with 14 gage steel. Bottom skirt and 3 piece sections with drop in pins. Weigh about 240 lbs or so. Ones we have cost around $350. The upright loops are about 4 ft. high or so.

NOW... :help:

We need MORE! Can't find an area supplier around here! Does ANYONE know of a dealer in the Texas Panhandle, SW Okla areas that carries these? We are willing to travel 100 to 200 miles to get some more. We can go get them cheaper that a dealer would charge to ship them, obviously.

Anyone who knows a source, please either post on forum, PM or E-Mail me.

Thanks!
Bill
0 x
RUNNING ARROW FARM, LLC
Registered Texas Longhorns & TWH's
Senior Sires, "TOTEM POLE" & "JBR CASH"
http://www.runningarrowlonghorns.com
longhorncattle2013@gmail.com

Lucasbranham
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Lucasbranham » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I know this is an old thread. But I thought I would add to it instead of starting a new one.
So I had done a bunch of searching and didn't find a lot of info on heavy built hay rings other than the gobob ones that are rectangular and extremely heavy duty. I wanted something that was possible to pull with my Atv fairly easily. Those seem a bit too heavy for me. I built a couple out of 1.25" and 1.50" schedule 40. Very heavy duty but I can push along the ground by hand if I need to. I couldn't lift them by myself to sit on a bale though. So I thought I'd share what I found as far as costs and quality. They one with the bent bars costs about $300 and the straight one costs about $230. They should lasts a long time.

This one doesn't seem to save as much hay as I hap hoped. It does better than my previous un skirted economy feeder though. This one the rounds are 1.5" and the spreaders are 1.25".

This one I just put out a few days ago. But there seems to be less hay on the ground outside of the feeder than the other one. This one is all 1.25" and is a bit easier to move.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”