Sick Mare

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
2barmcattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Sick Mare

Postby 2barmcattle » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:17 pm

17 yo mare. Has developed a cough. Also has the squirts. I have not seen it happen(the squirts) but, she has sticky stuff on the insides of her legs and on her rump......even on the sides of her rump. She has a good appetite and is not poor looking nor does she act like she feels poor. I suspected that she was wormy so I wormed her again this past Sunday. Haven't noticed the coughing being near as bad but it does not appear that the squirts have stopped. She is on pasture and 12% pelleted feed. Vet is out but will be back on Monday.

Any ideas.

Thanks,
0 x
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" Capt. Woodrow F. Call
www.2barmlonghorns.com

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Sick Mare

Postby msscamp » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:40 pm

What kind of pasture? How much pelleted feed? A lot of weeds in the pasture?
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

2barmcattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 2barmcattle » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:43 pm

1 gallon per day. I have native grass with a good bit of serecia lespedeza (sp?)
0 x
www.2barmlonghorns.com

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:10 pm

The diarrhea could be from worms, or it could be from too much protein. Horses only need about 10% protein. The pelleted feed is delivering 12%, the lespedeza contains somewhere between 10-15%, I believe, and then there is also the protein your native grass provides. It is also possible that your horse has an intolerance for the type of grass she is on. Another possibility is some sort of underlying illness/condition. I would suggest talking it over with your vet and seeing what he/she suggests.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

2barmcattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 2barmcattle » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 am

I didn't think of that. VERY good point. The lespedeza(poor mans alfalfa) does have very high protein content. Like I said...she seems perfectly happy and does not have a fever. She does seem dehydrated. I'm going to hit her with electrolytes today and check w/Doc tomorrow. I may hit her with Probios as well. Won't hurt to do both.....will it?
0 x
www.2barmlonghorns.com

angie
GURU
GURU

Postby angie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:46 am

2barmcattle wrote:I'm going to hit her with electrolytes today and check w/Doc tomorrow. I may hit her with Probios as well. Won't hurt to do both.....will it?

No.
0 x
There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.
C.S. Lewis

turn&burn92
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby turn&burn92 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi,

When the vet came, did he give a diagnosis? If not, could she have been in season? Sometimes mares tend to have "squirts" when they come in heat, but it wouldn't last more than a few days. How long did it last, and has she been able to ingest anything outside of her normal diet? Sometimes certain trees, weeds, etc. are harmful to a horses digestive system.
0 x
When you have a fast horse, 3 barrels and a winning time...who needs a cowboy?

marven
Beginner
Beginner

Postby marven » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:07 am

I'm worried about my Mare, Dixie. About a month ago I noticed she was loosing weight, so I increased her feed and began graining (figured it was the weather change) but she hasn't gained any, if anything she's lost weight. I figured Flash (her paddock pal) was just taking all the food, but he hasn't gained any weight either. Then today, she was uninterested in what was going on, sluggish, and unfocused. She ignored all ques, and nearly ran into a fence (even though the girl was plow reining her head to one side). She was dragging her feet and wouldn't lope.
Thanks.

Hay Tarps || Lumber Tarps || Truck Tarps
0 x

Return to “Horse Care”