eating problem

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
hillbilly1234
Cowhand
Cowhand

eating problem

Post by hillbilly1234 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:13 pm

I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: eating problem

Post by pdfangus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:34 pm

block of anything is mostly good for holding down a tarp or something.

get a good quality loose mineral supplement.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

hayray
GURU
GURU

Post by hayray » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:47 pm

I second that. I always heard that loose mineral was necessary for cattle because they do not bit the block as good as horses, but as a horse gets alot older ya wonder about efficiency issues and dentition being able to grab mineral blocks as well?

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 am

hillbilly1234 wrote:I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.

Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way? Do your horse a favor and buy her a good, loose mineral that will actually satisfy her nutritional needs.
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Post by ga.prime » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:50 pm

msscamp wrote:Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way?

Because they contain trace minerals?
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

chippie
GURU
GURU

Post by chippie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 am

Purina makes a good loose horse mineral.

You might want to get the horse's teeth checked also. It may be missing some. I have a donkey who is 36 years old, He is missing teeth and has a difficult time chewing hay. I feed him Purina Senior. He is thriving on it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=cb0dd395-1663-42e8-a27a-4998ff042343
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

hayray
GURU
GURU

Post by hayray » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.

jersey lilly
Rancher
Rancher

Post by jersey lilly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

I've heard alot of times when horses do this that a few doses of probiotics will fix the problem. They do this because their stomach bugs aren't right and they are trying to remedy it themselves.
A good rain and a baby calf are always welcome here.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:00 am

hayray wrote:My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.

mine too....
I use one that was manufactered by Youngs but has recently been bought by Cargill.
I mix my own horse feed and put some of the mineral in the mix to make sure they get it and have it available loose as well.
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com