eating problem

Horse management, health, feeding and grooming.
hillbilly1234
Cowhand
Cowhand

eating problem

Postby hillbilly1234 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:13 pm

I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: eating problem

Postby pdfangus » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

block of anything is mostly good for holding down a tarp or something.

get a good quality loose mineral supplement.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I second that. I always heard that loose mineral was necessary for cattle because they do not bit the block as good as horses, but as a horse gets alot older ya wonder about efficiency issues and dentition being able to grab mineral blocks as well?
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:40 am

hillbilly1234 wrote:I have a 30 year old horse that eats her own manure not a lot but nibbles she has very good grass hay and a salt block do you think she is low in some mineral maybe i will get her a mineral block to chew on maybe that will solve this nasty habit.

Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way? Do your horse a favor and buy her a good, loose mineral that will actually satisfy her nutritional needs.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:50 pm

msscamp wrote:Have you ever noticed how those blocks are labeled as trace mineral blocks? Don't you think there is a reason why they are labeled that way?

Because they contain trace minerals?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

chippie
GURU
GURU

Postby chippie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:47 am

Purina makes a good loose horse mineral.

You might want to get the horse's teeth checked also. It may be missing some. I have a donkey who is 36 years old, He is missing teeth and has a difficult time chewing hay. I feed him Purina Senior. He is thriving on it.

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=cb0dd395-1663-42e8-a27a-4998ff042343
0 x
What is this hand basket and where are we going?

hayray
GURU
GURU

Postby hayray » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm

My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.
0 x

jersey lilly
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jersey lilly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 am

I've heard alot of times when horses do this that a few doses of probiotics will fix the problem. They do this because their stomach bugs aren't right and they are trying to remedy it themselves.
0 x
A good rain and a baby calf are always welcome here.

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 am

hayray wrote:My horses get the same mineral as my cattle. Right now I am using a Nutrena beef mineral that is a weather resistant mineral. I also offer a 90 ppm Se loose salt since in this area we have seen alot of selinium deficiency problems.

mine too....
I use one that was manufactered by Youngs but has recently been bought by Cargill.
I mix my own horse feed and put some of the mineral in the mix to make sure they get it and have it available loose as well.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Horse Care”