Keeping Cattle at pasture..away from your place..

The place to start if you are new!
spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Keeping Cattle at pasture..away from your place..

Post by spinandslide » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:21 am

I am pretty sure afew folks on this board keep their cattle at a pasture that is not at their home..I know it's very common..

I have come across a situation where I can potentially do this...but I'm looking for what folks do to prevent problems or theft...outside of the obvious of locking the gate and saying a prayer. I've always had my cattle at home.

Thanks

If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Re: Keeping Cattle at pasture..away from your place..

Post by Isomade » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:27 am

Just don't make it easy for them to pen and load em. I lock the gate and the gate to corrals or pens, then say a prayer.
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

B&M Farms
Rancher
Rancher

Post by B&M Farms » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:43 am

I keep cows away from my home but its not far and I'm able to get by there every day. I've never had any problems. I have a neighbor with cattle across the road that would notice most anything wrong though. I guess you could run brimmerXs like my grandpa used to. First sight of someone and the would throw their heads up like deer and head for the woods. JK :D

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Post by bigbull338 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 am

yes alot of people pasture cattle a good ways from home.an they check the cattle 2 or 3 times a week,depending on how far they have to drive.an some check them once a week or 2wks.but i dont like the thought of going that long without checking cattle.

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Post by houstoncutter » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Put up some game cams at several locations on the property...at least you can have pics of what is going on and if something goes bad ..a pic can be used in a court room....If your not to far in the boonies, with as much wifi as there is now, you might be able to use cameras that send you a live feed to your puter.

spinandslide
GURU
GURU

Post by spinandslide » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Id check on them everyday..its only about 5 minutes from my house..but its kinda secluded..

I like the game camera idea..wonder if they make signs I can put on the gates "Smile, you are on camera"
If you were a hotdog and were starving to death, would you eat yourself?

Stepbystep
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stepbystep » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 pm

spinandslide wrote:Id check on them everyday..its only about 5 minutes from my house..but its kinda secluded..

I like the game camera idea..wonder if they make signs I can put on the gates "Smile, you are on camera"

They do make those signs and they also have cameras that will text you picture or you cango to website to see a live video stream.

hillrancher
Rancher
Rancher

Post by hillrancher » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm

If you have cattle away from home do not keep a schedule checking and feeding. I would be there at all hours, even feed at 2am in the morning sometimes. Do not leave a trailor as said keep corral gate locked. Keep a brimmer or long horn in the heard.
I have everything within 1.5 mile of by bed now live is much easier and it is my own don't have to worry about loosing after getting the fences fixed.

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Douglas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 pm

donkeys will scare people away

novatech
GURU
GURU

Post by novatech » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:25 pm

A lock keeps honest people honest. If a thief wants em he'll get em.
But then what are the statistics that it will happen. I'm a lot more paranoid about them getting out on their own.
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Mahatma Gandhi

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

20 miles away. 4 good neighbors on adjoining property. 1 not so good. I help these neighbors and they watch out for me. Works great.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Post by JSCATTLE » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:36 pm

My cattle are about 20 miles from the house. I don't have Pens and I put out a game camera about 40 foot before the gate . Get to know the e
Neighbors and let them know no one is to be on the place on horses or working your cows with put you . I've had a calf come up missing recently . And I suspect someone came in through the hunting club and shot him . No prof but he's gone . As long as they can't load em they can't steal em .
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:53 pm

spinandslide wrote:I am pretty sure afew folks on this board keep their cattle at a pasture that is not at their home..I know it's very common..

I have come across a situation where I can potentially do this...but I'm looking for what folks do to prevent problems or theft...outside of the obvious of locking the gate and saying a prayer. I've always had my cattle at home.

Thanks

I kept cattle for years a 120 miles from the house, good fences and good neighbors are the key.
But be aware only at the worst possible time in your life will things go wrong and you have to get your butt there.
If I had to do over again I wouldn't just young and dumb and time's were different. The world has turned into a much nastier place in the last twenty years. The need for money to fuel drug habits and the moral breakdown of society has changed the rules to the game.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 pm

Mine range from 65 to 92 miles from the house in 3 different locations. I have no choice as I can't afford land close to the big city. As Burno says, a neighbor to watch out helps and good fences are a must. As long as everyone around you knows that you live out of town, they will watch out for you most of the time. Tag your cows with a ear tag that has your name and phone number on them. I only leave my bulls on the cows for three months to prevent them from getting bored and going through through the fence but it still happens occasionally. Animals that won't stay in get shipped. Don't put your pens close to the road. The most aggravating thing I have had is when the sheriff's dept dispatcher called me at 2 AM to let me know my cows were out on the road. Drove all the way down there and they weren't mine. You definitely want an easy calving bull and no heifers.

John SD
GURU
GURU

Post by John SD » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Make sure your cattle can be indentified before they leave your home place. Preferably with a registered hot iron brand.
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness
copyright July 4, 1776

Smile and do something nice for a liberal today. It will drive them nuts!