butterfat

For the dairy folks and/or beef folks with questions about udders, milk and mastitis.
wijim
Beginner
Beginner

butterfat

Postby wijim » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Something I thought about just now , whats the buterfat in beef cow milk? Is it above 3.5? Jim :compute:
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: butterfat

Postby TexasBred » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:38 am

wijim wrote:Something I thought about just now , whats the buterfat in beef cow milk? Is it above 3.5? Jim :compute:

jim butterfat is determined by breed as well as feed. Holsteins give the most milk but BF will be anywhere from 3 to 3.5% depending on stage of lactation of diet. Jerseys are reknown for their high butterfat but produce considerably less milk per day. Not unusual at all for BF in Jersey milk to run over 5%. All other breeds run BF between these two.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

wijim
Beginner
Beginner

Postby wijim » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks, Just one of those things that poped into my head last nite.
0 x

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:27 pm

TexasBred wrote:
wijim wrote:Something I thought about just now , whats the buterfat in beef cow milk? Is it above 3.5? Jim :compute:

jim butterfat is determined by breed as well as feed. Holsteins give the most milk but BF will be anywhere from 3 to 3.5% depending on stage of lactation of diet. Jerseys are reknown for their high butterfat but produce considerably less milk per day. Not unusual at all for BF in Jersey milk to run over 5%. All other breeds run BF between these two.

Is that still true with the newer Jerseys? The ones that give 5-6 gallons a day? I heard the ones from days gone by only gave a gallon or two.
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Registered Angus Breeding Stock
Bosworth, Mo
Low birth, high gain, fertility, and carcass.
A little about us-
http://www.certifiedangusbeef.com/producers/mo-clavin/

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:00 pm

it's still true. Just check the indexes of the bulls, because there are a few that pass on high milk and low components similar to a Holstein.
I can guarantee you that the average NZ Jersey bull will deliver higher percentages from the daughters than the average US sire. My whole herd averaged over 6% fat 4% protein on their last milk collection, and the Jersey breeding is only about 60 - 70%. Thirty years of breeding for high components plus all-grass diets does that (but there are other reasons to *not* use NZ genetics). I have individual cows testing over 7% fat.
0 x
Stepping backwards and progress are not mutually exclusive

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:16 pm

US has access to NZ AI sires?
Valerie
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

regolith wrote:it's still true. Just check the indexes of the bulls, because there are a few that pass on high milk and low components similar to a Holstein.
I can guarantee you that the average NZ Jersey bull will deliver higher percentages from the daughters than the average US sire. My whole herd averaged over 6% fat 4% protein on their last milk collection, and the Jersey breeding is only about 60 - 70%. Thirty years of breeding for high components plus all-grass diets does that (but there are other reasons to *not* use NZ genetics). I have individual cows testing over 7% fat.

But your girls are "grass fed only' right?? 99% of our dairy cattle also get grain so although the butterfat will be somewhat depressed production can be very high even in jerseys herds....just not nearly as high as in holstein herds.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 pm

yes, you can access NZ genetics. If I switch my brain into gear at some stage today I'll be able to tell you which bulls and which AI companies. Noticed a lot of old, no longer used bulls available in US as well as the 'up and coming' youngsters in one pdf file (about the JH1 gene, it's on my computer and i can find the link again no doubt).
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Taurus Service??? they're out of Pennsylvania I think. I think in time we'll see some influx of NZ genetics into our jersey herd but for now the udders are a killer and the grass based genetics tend to not perform the same way when they're put on a high powered TMR and alot of jersey herds are really progressive in mindset so a high powered feed is a must.
The biggest problem that I've seen with grass genetics is that they get FAT when they get fed the way we feed dairy cattle here. We need something that will put it into milk a little better.
I actually tried to buy a bunch(as in tens of thousands of units) of semen from NZ one time but some dummy in Pennsylvania or wherever they're at decided that he wanted full price and told me he didn't care if I didn't make anything on the deal. :roll: One of us didn't make a cent on that sale and it wasn't me. :nod:
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 am

Udders are the thing. NZ genetics are not proven under high production systems because the cows here aren't doing high production... a cow that lasts to fifteen years old with a perfect udder here might not do so if she was being fed for double the production in the US.

As far as I can see the best bet would be to e-mail one of the companies direct if interested in any of their bulls. CRVAmbreed has links with Holland Genetics, LIC is playing its own independent game, Samen has links with CRI and ABSglobal but I doubt any NZ-bred and proven Samen bull is making the top lists.
Murmur is currently the top indexing Jersey in NZ, I'm using him, he's too young to have a very reliable proof and I'm a bit suspicious of his daughter photos... they don't look like producers to me, or to have good udders. Have some daughters to his sire and like them, though one is a very slow milker with udder heading floorwards at six years old.
http://www.jersey.com.au/cgi-bin/cuteca ... hread=2267 from that thread:
http://greenbook.usjersey.com/Portals/1 ... XArdOQDUd8 is the pdf of bulls marketed by JPI - the bulls prefixed ISNZ are NZ bulls, as far as I can see all are LIC bulls and there's some there I wouldn't let near my herd :(

I'm using some Danish Jersey (Viking Genetics) through CRVAmbreed, DJMay is one you might like to look at. Moderate production but very good temperament. I won't be milking any till late 2013.
http://www.crv4all.co.nz/shop/Dairy/Jersey.html
http://lic.co.nz/lic_Sire_Lineup.cfm? this one takes you to the Holstein Friesian sires list, daughter proven alpha jerseys are in the drop down menu then clicking on a bull's code gives more information. On the CRVAmbreed site clicking on the bull's name takes you to the full information.

Biggest problem I have with NZ genetics cp is the way the decision makers let through bulls with proven poor temperament, bad udders, lethal genes and the like and farmers just put up with it. Most farmers are with the LIC 'bull of the day' programme, and don't choose (and often, don't know) the sires used in their herd.
0 x

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:42 am

yup, I googled it and taurus service is playing with LIC.
http://www.taurus-service.com/about.htm
http://www.newzealandgenetics.com/licnz_News.cfm?nid=24
I was also wrong about the NZ Jerseys on the JPI list all being LIC - Murmur (CRVAmbreed) is there and so are several of the Danish Jerseys that are being imported into NZ.
0 x

vclavin
GURU
GURU

Postby vclavin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:40 pm

Now I'm really confused!! Who is the most reliable to buy semen from proper bulls. Gentle disposition is a must. + safe for heifers. I prefer butterfat over production... don't plan to max the girls out- lol
Valerie

any suggestions?
0 x
Skyline Farms Angus
Bosworth, Mo
A little about us-

regolith
GURU
GURU

Postby regolith » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 pm

Check your other thread - cp is the guy with the local knowledge.

Any Jersey bull will be safe for heifers.
Typing the full name of a bull into google will usually bring up the information available on him and the company supplying the semen.
Only one of the bulls cp mentioned is listed in my catalogues and the NZ conversion shows Iatola very average in temperament - cp can comment if that's correct or not.
Check out DJ May, for disposition.
They're all proper bulls. Just some can transmit faults that I find unacceptable.
0 x

stocky
GURU
GURU

Postby stocky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm

In the last few years, a New Zealand group purchased several thousand acres south of Aurora, Missouri and in other areas close by. They have many thousand head of NZ dairy cattle and hire local farmers to raise their baby calves. I am not at home at the moment, but you might be able to find out how to get some info from them on how they brought their their genetics to the USA, if someone else on the board is in that area
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Anyone know if there are any DNA tests for "butterfat content"?

I know UC-Davis tests for A1 v A2 milk ... but wasn't sure if anyone tested for butterfat.
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Return to “Got Milk?”