Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

midtncattle
Rancher
Rancher

Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Postby midtncattle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:25 am

Wanting to try a solar powered charger to heat cross fence and as a extra barrier on my barb wire. Anybody reccommend one brand and model?
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:34 am

ive got a zareba i bought at TS that works pretty well, for around a hundred bucks.. only had it a couple years so im no expert on it
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

bpwagner115
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby bpwagner115 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:19 am

We have a Gallagher and haven't had any troubles. We throw up one wire on the top of out barbed wire fence that borders the neighbors corn field and it sure keeps them from leaning over. Turns a pretty crummy fence into a good one real quick.

We use these...or something very similar. They snap right onto barbed wire fence and we leave the wire and these insulators up year-round. Very Fast to put up/take down. I would also suggest getting a reel if you plan on taking the wire down or using it in multiple places. makes quick work of it.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Offsets_detail_I6X.php
0 x

herefordlover
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby herefordlover » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm

I really like the parmak 12volt solar. Not a fan of any 6 volt chargers
0 x
Hereford making black better

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:29 pm

midtncattle wrote:Wanting to try a solar powered charger to heat cross fence and as a extra barrier on my barb wire. Anybody reccommend one brand and model?

midtncattle, I have been using a 12v Patriot that I bought at CO-OP three years ago. I have it powering 5 strands of high tensile on a cross fence. That sucker is HOT! Word of warning however........don't put it near a road or easy access. Some knuckle-head will steal it.
0 x

midtncattle
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midtncattle » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Already thought about that. Do you experience any problems keeping a charge in winter?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I have had them that were hot as a firecracker-------until a long cloudy/rainy spell. Gave up on them.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:23 pm

never seen any of the battery ones, solar or others, that ever had any juice that compared to electric. ask how many joules they put out, i like at least 6
0 x

HOSS
GURU
GURU

Postby HOSS » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:52 pm

midtncattle wrote:Already thought about that. Do you experience any problems keeping a charge in winter?

I have never had a problem with it over the winter of during cloudy spells. I put the charger in the center of the fence right in the middle of the field. There it is never in a shadow during daylight hours. I know my cows are fence broke and never test it. The newborn calves do.................once.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:26 am

HOSS wrote:
midtncattle wrote:Already thought about that. Do you experience any problems keeping a charge in winter?

I have never had a problem with it over the winter of during cloudy spells. I put the charger in the center of the fence right in the middle of the field. There it is never in a shadow during daylight hours. I know my cows are fence broke and never test it. The newborn calves do.................once.

i sell the patriot and have had quite a few defects, although they have improved the quality recently.
the patriot ps-15 is speedrites cheaper version of the s500 speedrite(much better quality but 100.00 or so higher)
the parmak mag-12-sp is still in my opinion the best( i have sold 1000's over the years)
the solar panel charges a battery that powers the fence and parmak claims it will hold a charge for 21 days in total darkness.(i don't know as i have never seen it when the sun didn't rise)
so the cloudy days low/no power is BS.
the mag-12-uo is unit only with no solar panel or battery
the mag-12-sp is solar powered with solar panel and battery
everything is the same whether it is hooked to a car battery or the sealed sp battery the output is the same.
i sell lots of these is sw oklahoma for yearlings on wheat pasture(some pastures are several sections) every year and they work really well
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

midtncattle
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midtncattle » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks
0 x

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dylan Biggs » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:18 am

cross_7 wrote:
HOSS wrote:

the parmak mag-12-sp is still in my opinion the best( i have sold 1000's over the years)
the solar panel charges a battery that powers the fence and parmak claims it will hold a charge for 21 days in total darkness.(i don't know as i have never seen it when the sun didn't rise)
so the cloudy days low/no power is BS.

Ditto on the Parmark Mag 12. Have used lots of different fencers since 1985 and this is my top choice.
0 x

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Anybody use a solar panel to charge a battery to power high tensile? We have a set up like that on a place we bought. It is hot enough to work but I would like hotter fence as we are starting to use it as HT as perimeter fencing. Have HT around the calving lots at the house and they are charged with a 110v Zareba and it is hot enough that newborn calves won't go through it.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Jake wrote:Anybody use a solar panel to charge a battery to power high tensile? We have a set up like that on a place we bought. It is hot enough to work but I would like hotter fence as we are starting to use it as HT as perimeter fencing. Have HT around the calving lots at the house and they are charged with a 110v Zareba and it is hot enough that newborn calves won't go through it.

At the old farm that was how we were set up. A Gallgher with a "good" deep cycle battery and the solar panel that came with the charger. Powered about 2 miles of high tensile plus a bunch of 9 conductor poly wire division fences.
Worked great for years till we moved to this farm. Still use it for temp fences in places.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:12 pm

I think I'm going to end up splitting the fence with two chargers, one on the perimeter and one on the subdivision fences. There is about 3 miles of three to five wire fence on it. The corn on the opposite side of the fence makes me want some extra juice.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”