Looking for advice

Let us know who you are.
TdJ
Beginner
Beginner

Looking for advice

Postby TdJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi all

Based in central Texas, but grew up on a dairy farm/cow/calf operation in South Africa. I've been doing spreadsheet analysis and reading forums on running cattle in the US, trying to figure out how different the math is - at this point I need to start talking to folks who are active practitioners and this forum is full of great wisdom.

More context:
If it comes even close to making financial sense, my goal is to buy some land east of i35 and north of San Antonio and run a cattle business full time. Want to stay in Tx, and inside the geographic rainfall curve east of i35/i37.
I'm after the lifestyle change for my family, don't want to sit behind a desk anymore and want my kids to grow up like I did. I understand how much one "lives off the farm" - not expecting to get rich but also not looking to be extremely poor. I know it's possible.

I'm humbly asking for advice on how or whether to move forward.

If there's anyone within 200 miles of Austin that would be open to meeting to talk about the reality of running small cow/calf, stocker or feedlot operations in Tx I would be incredibly grateful. I know it's a lot to ask, I also know there's much I need to learn and much that can be taught. I'll buy coffee, bring some good South African biltong (like jerky) to share.

Let me know!

Thought you may enjoy this: Bonsmara & Susex back in South Africa that my dad still runs.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Re: Looking for advice

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:10 pm

I have a small, part time operation, but I'll be happy to let you pick my brain if you want. It shouldn't take long to get that done, but then we could visit longer if you want.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:56 am

:welcome: TdJ!!!

Plenty of friendly knowledgeable folk on this board, I'm sure you will get your questions answered even though they may not quite be what you are wanting to hear.

Your dad's cattle are in good condition, in what area does he farm? Luv his bush hat ;-)

Good luck to you!
0 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

TdJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TdJ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:17 pm

Rafter S wrote:I have a small, part time operation, but I'll be happy to let you pick my brain if you want. It shouldn't take long to get that done, but then we could visit longer if you want.

Much appreciated, I'll PM you (if I'm allowed to?)
0 x

TdJ
Beginner
Beginner

Postby TdJ » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 pm

alisonb wrote::welcome: TdJ!!!

Plenty of friendly knowledgeable folk on this board, I'm sure you will get your questions answered even though they may not quite be what you are wanting to hear.

Your dad's cattle are in good condition, in what area does he farm? Luv his bush hat ;-)

Good luck to you!

That's what I'm looking for, real world advice. The reality is I may not be in a position to do the things that make it worth while. That's ok, I'll keep on working at it until it makes sense to take that step.

My dad has an incredible herd, we spent a bunch on great genetics and they're dropping gorgeous calves. He's in an area called the Gardenroute near Barrington.
0 x

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”