Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Discuss the things that affect the cattle industry.
angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby angus9259 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Everything I've read says the US cattle producer wanted the trans-pacific partnership to pass.

http://www.beefmagazine.com/beef-export ... it-us-beef

Is anyone concerned that it's been abolished? Or is there just a sense that the tariffs will drop even further?
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11123
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm

It will be back, keep the faith.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 pm

http://mobile.globalmeatnews.com/Livest ... g-in-Japan

Here's why. That's all propaganda by BEEF, and NCBA. These organizations are not working for the small producers. Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Do some research on the beef tarrif in other countries.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby angus9259 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 pm

I guess I don't believe that everything is propaganda either. It may not benefit the "little guy", I don't know. But it sure seems like it would have sold more beef. Not sure how that's bad for anyone on these boards.....
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:10 pm

I can't recall all the numbers but TTP didn't create an equal playing field for 15 years for US beef. Australian beef makes up 59% of the beef imported into Japan. The tarrif on US beef is +10% more than the beef imported from Australia. We just need the same tarrif as every other country. Our beef is the best the world and people are willing and do pay more for US beef.
But enough is enough.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

angus9259
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2805
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby angus9259 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:28 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I can't recall all the numbers but TTP didn't create an equal playing field for 15 years for US beef. Australian beef makes up 59% of the beef imported into Japan. The tarrif on US beef is +10% more than the beef imported from Australia. We just need the same tarrif as every other country. Our beef is the best the world and people are willing and do pay more for US beef.
But enough is enough.


That's my point. If you read the TPP, it was going to correct that and have quite a substantial reduction in US beef imports to Japan to single digits. But we walked away from it. I understand if maybe we should have walked away when you look at it in it's totality, but from a beef perspective it had to help.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 am

angus9259 wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I can't recall all the numbers but TTP didn't create an equal playing field for 15 years for US beef. Australian beef makes up 59% of the beef imported into Japan. The tarrif on US beef is +10% more than the beef imported from Australia. We just need the same tarrif as every other country. Our beef is the best the world and people are willing and do pay more for US beef.
But enough is enough.


That's my point. If you read the TPP, it was going to correct that and have quite a substantial reduction in US beef imports to Japan to single digits. But we walked away from it. I understand if maybe we should have walked away when you look at it in it's totality, but from a beef perspective it had to help.


I agree with that assessment. We needed a better deal from the start, put the US of A first.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7113
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:26 am
Location: North Arkansas

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Look at the whole TPP deal. Was it good for the country as a whole. I would much rather Americans have jobs so they could buy our beef than a free pass for folks from other countries to come in to our country and take jobs.
0 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11123
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 am

Look for the Trump Pacific Partnership to pass by the end of the year.

It's all about branding baby!
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6099
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:20 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Look for the Trump Pacific Partnership to pass by the end of the year.

It's all about branding baby!


Our financial future is brighter with this POTUS making the deals for US.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Highpoint
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 pm

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby Highpoint » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:03 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:Look for the Trump Pacific Partnership to pass by the end of the year.

It's all about branding baby!


Our financial future is brighter with this POTUS making the deals for US.

Amen!
0 x

elkwc
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby elkwc » Tue May 15, 2018 6:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:http://mobile.globalmeatnews.com/Livestock/US-beef-growing-in-Japan

Here's why. That's all propaganda by BEEF, and NCBA. These organizations are not working for the small producers. Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Do some research on the beef tarrif in other countries.


+1
0 x

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1350
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Postby shaz » Wed May 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Look at the whole TPP deal. Was it good for the country as a whole. I would much rather Americans have jobs so they could buy our beef than a free pass for folks from other countries to come in to our country and take jobs.


If you look at the trade deficit by category agriculture is a rare bright spot. That means we can produce something here and sell it abroad. Problem is that so few industries produce product cheap enough. I know that's stating the obvious. I understand there are instances of bad trade deals for us but at the end of the day we (the rest of the US) need to cut costs.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin


Return to “NCBA, R-CALF, COOL, USDA (No Politics!)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests