It's expensive

The place to start if you are new!
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

It's expensive

Postby Bigfoot » Sat May 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral, a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire,

I ain't put em in the spread sheet yet, but it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year. I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.

Provided some on the job training to my kids today, that might be valuable someday, but other than that, it's been heck on the check book.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: It's expensive

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5 gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral,
a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire

... it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year.
I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.

:lol:
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral, a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire,

I ain't put em in the spread sheet yet, but it's been an expensive day. I see guys post on here, they can carry a cow for $120 a year. I can spend a $120 on a cow right quick. Starting to think it'd be cheaper to get my cow fix at a petting zoo.

Provided some on the job training to my kids today, that might be valuable someday, but other than that, it's been heck on the check book.

Just come visit me a couple times a year. I got cows you can pet. Lol

Seriously, I don't see how people squeeze a profit out of cattle. :o
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 pm

My guess is that your purchases were around $1200-1400. Am I close?
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 pm

Lazy M wrote:My guess is that your purchases were around $1200-1400. Am I close?

Close $1090.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeah, I did quick math and come up with about 1200-1300. And oh boy, we just had a bearing go bad on the NEW discbine. It's covered by warranty, but will fix it ourselves or wait for several weeks for it to get done...so they said they would pay all parts, and shipping if we wanted to do it and it will still be covered but gee whiz....Got the part today so it will get done this week....
Pulled a dead calf out of a bought cow, then she went down and died 24 hours later.....Luckily one of the "cheap" breds, but now a loss... still not ready to pack it in yet....but won't see much "profit". One godd thing is steer prices on the 4+5 wts are up to the 1.40-1.75 range and heifers about 10 to 20 cents less so hope to do okay in about 2 weeks when we ship some. We'll see.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Sat May 20, 2017 9:25 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Lazy M wrote:My guess is that your purchases were around $1200-1400. Am I close?

Close $1090.

Well don't feel too bad. By my estimation you got a bargain :D
0 x

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Sat May 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Money comes in on one hand and out the other. Not much of it gets to stay.
0 x

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sat May 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Bigfoot wrote:Just today, I've bought: 35 post, 2 wire panels, 5gallon hydraulic fluid, 99 gallons of fuel, 20 bags of mineral, a roll of wire, broke a sway chain I haven't replaced, a hydraulic hose, had a tube put in a tire,

I know what you're saying BF.... kind of a selfish reason, but that is one of the reasons that I started a Farm & Feed Supply store. I know the amount of feed and supplies that I use on my own operation, and in today's market the more I can offset some of the cost of production, the better! It also made sense that the location that I'm in, a Feed store was definitely needed.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

tom4018
GURU
GURU

Postby tom4018 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Sure wish I could figure out how to keep a cow for $120 a year. I am a lot more than that.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Equipment is a killer. Trying to pay for equipment with 30 head is a lot harder than 100 head. If you graph costs vs revenue with cattle there are sweet spots. Also, I believe people focus too much on the sell and not enough on the buy.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:48 am

i've been stocking up on supplies lately since they are cheap. wire rolls, etc since metal is cheap rightnow.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sun May 21, 2017 9:01 am

20 bags of mineral.....well I wouldn't have to buy more for a few years,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol: the rest is on par for me also but $1800 does sound a bit extreme.
Some of the darndest crap can happen that just doesn't make sense. I just replace a $129 push pull cable on the tractor loader. For years it worked fine and all of a sudden it's all but stuck.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

js1234
Rancher
Rancher

Postby js1234 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Brute 23 wrote: Also, I believe people focus too much on the sell and not enough on the buy.

It's all about the buy. I agree.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun May 21, 2017 6:18 pm

tom4018 wrote:Sure wish I could figure out how to keep a cow for $120 a year.

These are the same folks that start their tax return with the refund they want and then work backwards. :nod:
0 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”