(Theoretical) Bull calves

The place to start if you are new!
boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: (Theoretical) Bull calves

Postby boondocks » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Appreciate all the comments. To reiterate and also so clarify, the guy knew we were a Registered Angus outfit, and he was looking for a registered angus bull. He mentioned that they "used to" be registered and were looking to get back into registered (he has angus, perhaps some others). He mentioned that he has raised a few bottle calves before and that they keep all the meds handy to treat them when they get sick.
Butch, I didn't make assumptions about what he was willing to pay, but it was quite clear he wanted the price benefit of a newborn. More to the point, no way was I selling him a newborn so I didn't want to make it seem like I would be willing if he paid me enough. At any rate, I think I did what you suggested generally, in asking him if he'd be interested in one a bit older and he did seem to be willing to consider that. Mostly, I was just surprised that someone would go out of their way to get a day old calf to use as a registered bull. Everyone on here that buys and sells bulls has emphasized the need for the buyer to see how it grows out some, and the need for the seller to see how it grows out some (to see if it's bull-worthy).
Note, I'm not particularly knocking the guy. He was trying to find a cheap way back in to a registered herd; I get it. But I gotta let mama do her job. Either that or I'll steal pdfangus' idea of charging 5k regardless of age :)
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:34 am

boondocks wrote:Appreciate all the comments. To reiterate and also so clarify, the guy knew we were a Registered Angus outfit, and he was looking for a registered angus bull. He mentioned that they "used to" be registered and were looking to get back into registered (he has angus, perhaps some others). He mentioned that he has raised a few bottle calves before and that they keep all the meds handy to treat them when they get sick.
Butch, I didn't make assumptions about what he was willing to pay, but it was quite clear he wanted the price benefit of a newborn. More to the point, no way was I selling him a newborn so I didn't want to make it seem like I would be willing if he paid me enough. At any rate, I think I did what you suggested generally, in asking him if he'd be interested in one a bit older and he did seem to be willing to consider that. Mostly, I was just surprised that someone would go out of their way to get a day old calf to use as a registered bull. Everyone on here that buys and sells bulls has emphasized the need for the buyer to see how it grows out some, and the need for the seller to see how it grows out some (to see if it's bull-worthy).
Note, I'm not particularly knocking the guy. He was trying to find a cheap way back in to a registered herd; I get it. But I gotta let mama do her job. Either that or I'll steal pdfangus' idea of charging 5k regardless of age :)

you don't have to steal the idea....I am happy to loan it to you...

I did not mention that some of those bulls when they hit yearling age could be bought for beef price....we selected at weaning , steering well over half....and not all of the selected weanlings turned out to be what I considered bull quality....

however some of the neighbors who bought bulls from us.....then began selling bull calves by our bulls from their commercial cows .....and my bulls were not priced exorbitantly...in fact most of the other breeders fussed at me for selling too cheaply...

the yearling bull I chose to use for cleanup every year was priced higher but once he had done his work for the year he was promoted to sale bull and his price normally came down.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:58 pm

pdfangus wrote:My way of dealing with that was....

all bull calves less than one year old were priced at $5000.00.

my explanation was that there was probably a $5000.00 bull in the bunch but I would not know which one it was until they had been weighed as weanlings and as yearlings and properly developed.

if you can spot the $5000.00 calf, you can buy him today.

How many $5,000 bulls did you sell each year?
How often did you have one that sold for more than $5,000?
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Butch, I'm gonna hijack the thread but it's my thread so I'll hijack it if I want. How did you pick your icon--I assume you're a Cash fan? Have always wondered that (although maybe you've addressed it in other threads). He was my first love--musically and in my 6 yo mind, otherwise. :heart: :heart: :heart: Which is kinda weird but I'm owning it. :D I spent all of first grade singing Sunday Mornin Comin Down to myself on the playground. Did not win me friends, for the record.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”