Ideas, opportunities and mentor consulting!

Help Support CattleToday:

OwnedByTheCow

Reaction score
I'll start from the beginning.
I live in New Hampshire, and my uncle (who married into the family) owned a buffalo farm in New Hampshire. He no longer owns the buffalo but he still owns the house and land. It is a 3,000 sq ft. 5 bedroom brick house with an attached apartment. The property is now in conservation and it is roughly 80+- acres with a 40x60 barn. It Is roughly 2 minutes from my state college.
No one is currently living on the property and they are thinking about selling it, I am going to approach them about leasing it from them. But before I do so I would really like to figure out what is a reasonable thing to do with the land and what would be profitable ect. I am hoping to come up with an extremely thorough plan before I approach them about the house. I am currently a junior in high school and this would be something that would be a semi temporary operation 6-8 years at least. I would be jumping from my family's homestead to something completely on my own. I am surrounded in dairy farms so I was considering doing something like raising veal calves and selling to local restaurants, but that's just an idea.
If you had this scenario and wanted to plot out how you would use the property what way would y'all go?

could you do some events for the college kids.. like maybe those "runs" or mud man, whatever they are called.. you could setup a "obstacle course" and charge everyone 10 bucks to do it.. hold it once a month or something in the nice months.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":h6i6a94y said:
How much of the 80 acres are pasture land vs woods/swamp/brush? Do you have any knowledge of raising animals? Do you have any idea how many head of adult cows he was running?

Is it fenced, cross-fenced? Is there water? Is electric available? What's the condition of the house? What is the condition of the barn?

Would he be willing to lease it to you?

Are there restaurants, in that area, that would have a need for your veal and/or beef?

My understanding, if it is in conservation easement, it can be sold, but never divided, therefor some folks are able to get a place like that at a good price.

It is 80 acres of pasture. It is hayed yearly and maintained for the most part, there are some parts that are wooded but the underbrush is removed and it is accessible. The land is all fenced in but fields are sectioned. He was running 200 head on the land. He used to give tours and the like on wagons. It was actually quite popular. There are local restaurants around the area that could be potential business but there is also a store he used to run on the property. I have some knowledge of cows. I own a couple but keep them at a friends place so I don't have a ton of knowledge. Not as much as others. I have raised one veal calf in the past but I'm not expecting it to be the same.

I admire your ambition and desire to do something/make something of it. :)

Starting the research now, regarding 'demand' for whatever products you could offer, is a good place to start. Whether it be for veal or beef or both. I would see what demand there is, in the area, for these products, and maybe let that be the deciding factor as to which way you go....... veal or beef.

Latest posts