Insecticide suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Had two 10' rubs that I bought years ago, cattle were always terrified of them. Tried 2 years and gave up on them - put them on wall of shed.

Did some experimenting on a mineral tub. Took a 10' rub and tied it under the flap of the rubber using the face flyps that go with the rub. Drilled (15) 1/2" holes in rubber lid - roughly 8" apart and 3" from edge. Seen a commercial product that did basically the same thing and thought it should work.

What is the suggestion for best insecticide? I was thinking Ultra Boss with diesel, but maybe Ultra Sabre instead?

Adds a fair bit of weight to the flap, but the cows have no problem getting under it.

IMG_20170626_195559.jpg

Aaron: What is the suggestion for best insecticide? I was thinking Ultra Boss with diesel, but maybe Ultra Sabre instead?

Ultra boss is a broader spectrum insecticide than Ultra sabre. Ultra sabre is lambdacyhalothrin and piperonyl butoxide for control of horn flies and lice. Whereas Ultra Boss is permethrin synergized with piperonyl butoxide. Ultra Boss controls a broad spectrum of ectoparasites - lice, horn flies and face flies, and to aid in the control of horse flies, stable flies, mosquitoes, black flies and ticks.

Lambdacyhalothrin has a record of being very effective which is a strong favor for sabre but I like the boss for control of a broader range of ectoparasites and pests.

I use 1 Oz of 30% permerthrin with 1 Oz of prolate per gallon. Add a little soap to help the water soluble bind with the oil.

Yes. One has no effect on the other. Lots of people line up a bunch in their alley leading into the chute and just go down the line using a pour on. Its a good job for a young person that wants to help. I personally spray mine as a small group while in the tub. They don't really care for the spray so it encourages them to move up the alley.

They then if needed.get a injection wormer when they go through the chute. I have taken the advise from most on this forum and rarely worm a healthy looking older cow.

Latest posts