Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

tjmdo

Reaction score
How long after weaning can I put cattle back with their mothers? I have weaned a heifer and a bull.

Thanks

Never? Seems like a long time. Thanks for the expert help!!

ClinchValley":659vlvob said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":659vlvob said:
I never put my calves back w/ dam until after the heifers are bred in the spring. So, about 8 months.

This is how we did last year. Prevented any mishaps.
Ditto.
Why did you keep the bull calf intact? He may be young but he can still breed - and the heifer calf can still get bred.

Thanks for the help! Diesel, if your keeping heifers to build your herd do you never reunite them after weaning?

My grandfather weaned off a heifer last August, put her out the other day and she picked up right where she left off 11 months ago. Needless to say the heifer will be hitting the road in a few weeks.

I keep my retained heifers separated by quite a distance so they can't see or hardly hear one another for about 6~7 months before they rejoin the herd with their mothers. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues in a long time.

tjmdo":110hvzja said:
Thanks for the help! Diesel, if your keeping heifers to build your herd do you never reunite them after weaning?

if i do retain em i usually don't put em with the bull til 18-20 mos. im in no hurry and I don't need any problems. so far that has worked ok both calfing and weaning.

I fence wean tho so they can still rub on momma right thru the pens or the wire if they try hard enough. they grow out of it but it takes along time. at 16 mos or so ive been successful.

sometimes tho I will keep back steers for sale or meat and they will work it a little harder/ sometimes they just end up getting shipped cuz they suck off mommas good stuff and she gets no rest between calfs

The idea of fenceline weaning is to have a good barrier between calf & mom. It is great for them to be able to see & lay down next to each other, but at no point should they be able to stick their head thru the barrier & suck mom. I fence line wean all the time.
I am a strong believer of time is money. By giving my weaned heifers 5#/hd/day of whole shell corn through our harsh winter with no protection and good baleage hay, I breed all my heifers to calve between 22 & 24 months of age - so they fit into my 60 day calving season. Also, research has shown that calving heifers at 30 months of age and older is actually causing more dystocia because their pelvic bones/cartilage calcifies by that age. As a heifer, they have more "give" and get stretched out easier. I use easy calving bulls, but not "super easy". My calves will range from in the 70#'s to 90#'s. It is extremely rare for us to assist in calving other than a mal-presentation (cows or heifers).

We don't put any weaned animal back with the main herd. They are kept with animals their own age, heifers are bred to calve about 27-32 months, and they will stay in that group to breed back for their second calf. Then, if they make the "cut" to stay, they will get assimulated into the general herd . We don't feed alot but the first calf heifers will get a taste of grain a couple of times a week, about 1-2 lbs per head, to keep them quiet and coming to me so that I can easily check on them. All calve on pasture, and I can usually drive to 90% of where they are. I always keep a bucket of grain in the vehicle and when they are off by themself with a new calf, will put a little down on the ground, they will usually come over and eat and I can catch the calf and at least tag it and record what it is. Have had a heifer go back on a cow after 6 months and one went back on her mother when she had the next calf.... So, they now don't get that temptation. And any that are seen sucking another cow, or a heifer sucking another heifer, take a ride.

exactly.....we run very similar thought process in operations...lest I be on lot smaller scale I think. reading yer other posts I think so

Unless the bull is running with the cow herd for the winter, all heifers go back with the cow herd at about 45 days or so post fenceline weaning. Through the years we've had exactly 1 go back to sucking.She started at about 18 months, well after the calves were born and weren;t that far from weaning. Fed her out and butchered her.

Latest posts