Pinkeye outbreak

Cattle problems.
Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Pinkeye outbreak

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:51 pm

There's hasn't been a pink eye case around my county for at least ten years. Neighbor told me the other day at the diner, that his new bull had it then I heard of a few more cases. The dam stuff finally made its way to me my new bull (that I still haven't told the wife what he cost) has it terrible one eye is gone for sure solid white can't see anything. Ran into my dad's truck earlier where we working on a corral and caves the fender in. Called vet yesterday and he's coming out Monday to dart him and try treatment. Also have 3 cows with it, gonna get them up next day or so and start them on la200. Any other advise. Hope the bull keeps at least one eye hate to have put him down.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Pinkeye outbreak

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Best advice is to Dr them at the first sign of pinkeye. Keeps it from spreading.
Lots of it here last year, hardly none this year, no rhyme or reason for the change.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Pinkeye is a fly management problem.
Getting a handle on the flies is way cheaper than an outbreak.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:27 pm

All the rain we've had, has covered us up with flies, skitters..don't remember there being as many sweat bees as there been lately.... Man got killed by yellow jackets this past week. Hit a nest with a backhoe and they ate him up...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Ky cowboy wrote:Any other advise.

Clip old pasture and swatch graze course pasture to avoid eye scratches
2x Kill flies to reduce spreading
Feed good to reduce stress
Vaccinate to increase resistance
0 x
Stocker Steve

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Vaccinate and instead of LA200 I use 300. Vetericyn Ophthalmic gel or spray while treating and continue blasting the affected eye at least a few more days (I do it while they're eating). Real sorry about your bull!
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:53 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Best advice is to Dr them at the first sign of pinkeye. Keeps it from spreading.
Lots of it here last year, hardly none this year, no rhyme or reason for the change.

Same situation here. Dr. Stanfield told me it is not nearly what it was last year. I have not had a single case. I like to believe it is the custom autogenous bacterin I vaccinated with.

BTW: Stanfield has put a lot of effort and study into pinkeye. He believes there is no rhyme or reason. He says he has seen Some of the worst outbreaks in winter. So fly connection is not always there. He believes it is due to more virulent forms of Moraxella.
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I think Hi-Mag mineral helps with pinkeye. Last year
I had it severe and was feeding a good mineral but not high mag. Started feeding high mag and it stopped.

This year I had a few cases about 6 weeks ago. Wasn't feeding high mag. started feeding high mag and in about two weeks it stopped. is it coincidence? I don't know but its happened twice.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Clod Hopper » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:39 pm

I have used draxin for pink eye and it has worked well for me.
0 x

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Ky cowboy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:05 pm

The few cows that have got it are just starting. The bull I fear is done for. I've been feeding hi mag mineral but they were out for 2-3 weeks, still have to put the back rub up tomorrow and try and spray them. We are in the process of redoing the corral so some of it is already tore out trying to patch it with gates and anything I can find to make it work. When the vet comes out Monday he's going to bring a vaccine for the mom infected ones, they said they take samples from our area and have it custom made $100 for 50 doses
0 x

Clod Hopper
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Clod Hopper » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:51 pm

I had a heifer I thought would be blind but after treatment she seems to be fine. I wouldn't give up on him yet. My heifer was so bad she was walking into the feed trough and even bumped into me.
0 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 am

Yeh while some eyes are lost the majority come right and fairly quickly too. Cloxacillin mastitis tubes are very usefull topically and will usually be all that I use.

Ken
0 x

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:29 am

+1 on the Draxxin
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:02 am

Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Now you can't hardly tell she had pinkeye.
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 am

Banjo wrote:Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Now you can't hardly tell she had pinkeye.

Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Health & Nutrition”