Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

The place to start if you are new!
wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Help Newbe With Minimal Corral Design

Postby wbvs58 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:36 pm

The only problem with that mesh right to the ground is that dogs don't like working in it, they like to know they can duck under it when needed.

Ken
0 x

Wyo1
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Wyo1 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 am

The wire cattle panels are fine. Works best in combination with pipe but have seen put up with wood and last a long time. The trick is to put a board on top and one in the middle of the cattle panel and a post every 8 foot. I have personally seen corrals with this design that have over 500 head several times a year ran through them. That are over 20 years old and in good shape
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:58 am

wbvs58 wrote:The only problem with that mesh right to the ground is that dogs don't like working in it, they like to know they can duck under it when needed.

Ken

A dog is the last of thing I want in a cow pen when I am working cows.
If I can't catch mine with a bucket of cubes I need a better cow.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:27 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:The only problem with that mesh right to the ground is that dogs don't like working in it, they like to know they can duck under it when needed.

Ken

A dog is the last of thing I want in a cow pen when I am working cows.
If I can't catch mine with a bucket of cubes I need a better cow.

Yes. But catching that wild witch to load her up can be a challenge. I get in to way to much helping of others. "Poppa can't do it anymore". The truth is Poppa hasn't been out to the pasture in months. I got that "1-800-sucker" tattoo on my forehead somewhere. They're always volunteering me to do something or another. There are time when I would like to volunteer a good dog to do the dirty work.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Allenw
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Allenw » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
LDEnterprises wrote:
HML-167 wrote:I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my request for help. I plan on incorporating the changes. It is great to have such experience available on this site.

LDEnterprises - these are the cattle panels I am talking about: https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... el-16.aspx

Like Brute already mentioned I'm not a fan of these panels. The welds break all the time and I've had calves literally go right through them. I'd look at oaks boards before those panels.

Mine is made up of 4x4" panel and drill stem and has been tested by some very salty F-1 tigers all have failed.
The neighbors 2200 lb sim Angus bull bounced off every side when I penned him for getting in my pasture.
Brute that pen is twenty years old and they ain't tore it up yet.
You put enough drill stem braces in and
welded top bottom and up and down at the braces it will hold water buffaloes.

A good 4x4 panel is in a different catagory then the panels that were shown.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”