boondocks
GURU
GURU

Re: Still no hay

Postby boondocks » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:58 pm

artesianspringsfarm wrote:
Ol' 243 wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:
If the sun is shining in the morning, then you cut and bale the same day.

Pretty good plan, unless you write the insurance policy on the mans barn.

I'm pretty sure Steve is saying thats how they get haylage or baleage. Boondocks, can your hay guy not wrap it and make baleage? I feel your pain and we are way behind ourselves. Only have about 150 bales put up so far and now what we are putting up aint pretty.

wish he could. He doesn't have the equipment for it. A neighbor does and was going to do it but his equipment broke down and now he's behind on his own fields.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:20 pm

Having to depend on others is really a pain, but then you can't afford to own all the equipment if you are going to only use it occasionally. We are in that predicament with a wrapper and are trying to decide if we can justify one in the next year or two. And it doesn't matter how well you maintain or prepare, there are ALWAYS breakdowns..... a bearing went out on the brand new discbine and they said 3 weeks.....we said if we did the work would they send the part and still cover the warranty....they said yes so we did it ourselves..... but gee whiz that is why we traded and got a BRAND NEW ONE...... to avoid the breakdown time....

I looked at the float thing on the water troughs. It says rubbermaid right on it. It hangs about 4 inches down into the trough, 2 screws attach it, and the float is like underneath so as the trough gets full, it pushes the float up into the case and shuts the water off. Pretty simple and not much for the cows to try to "play with" . If they sell the troughs, they ought to sell the float too.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:17 pm

Gettin' in a real funk over the fields of basically straw. Where I've kept the farm road mowed, we have nice green grass. Had we brush hogged the fields a month ago (assuming we could sneak in a few hours without rain), we would have at least something now.
At what point should we just call them a loss and brush hog it in the hopes of getting at least a small "second" cutting? I'm worried there's too much biomass now and would maybe kill off the new grass if it's not removed...I am totally out of my element on this. Gonna call the county co-op guy in the am and beg for some advice.
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am

dun wrote:At least with too much rain you still have pasture for the cows to eat. We're droughty and the great grass we had 3 weeks ago is now so dry that just the cows walking through it as they graze destroys what isn;t eaten. We'll be feeding hay in another week or 2. Usually only feed hay in late march to mid april or if the stockpiled grass is covered with ice or snow.

I put 5 bales out yesterday :mad: Maybe, hopefully, it will rain soon.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:56 am

boondocks wrote:Gettin' in a real funk over the fields of basically straw. Where I've kept the farm road mowed, we have nice green grass. Had we brush hogged the fields a month ago (assuming we could sneak in a few hours without rain), we would have at least something now.
At what point should we just call them a loss and brush hog it in the hopes of getting at least a small "second" cutting? I'm worried there's too much biomass now and would maybe kill off the new grass if it's not removed...I am totally out of my element on this. Gonna call the county co-op guy in the am and beg for some advice.

viewtopic.php?t=14091
I'm wondering if you can just bale what you have and use as a filler and supplement? Myself I'd rotary mow half and bale the other half when possible. Never put all your eggs in one basket. What I can see from the satellite weather, I'd be cutting hay Wednesday and hoping for the best. Good luck
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 am

Im with TG mow some fields and bale the "straw" as there will be a fair amount of 2nd growth coming up through it and it will not all be a loss. We find that with all the "dead stuff" the cows still will eat it through the winter and it still beats snowballs. You might have to supplement protein, & energy, but even dry coarse hay is a good filler in the cold. I don't think that you should just bushhog it down but get it off the field in poor quality hay and let the next cutting come up and then have some of both to feed for the winter.
0 x

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 am

I've made plenty of first cutting "straw" into September and there is generally enough 2nd crop underneath that it still tests pretty well and our cattle do just fine through our harsh winters.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am

Thanks all! I appreciate the words of encouragement. Having only been raising cows a few years, I am still a newbie, especially to the hay issues.
I have also been telling them to eat up while they can, it may be a lean winter. They are taking the advice to heart (or rumen).
0 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:24 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
boondocks wrote:Gettin' in a real funk over the fields of basically straw. Where I've kept the farm road mowed, we have nice green grass. Had we brush hogged the fields a month ago (assuming we could sneak in a few hours without rain), we would have at least something now.

viewtopic.php?t=14091
I'm wondering if you can just bale what you have and use as a filler and supplement? Myself I'd rotary mow half and bale the other half when possible. Never put all your eggs in one basket. What I can see from the satellite weather, I'd be cutting hay Wednesday and hoping for the best. Good luck

This sounds like a good plan.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm

I have had to wear rain gear while raking hay that was being baled as haylage. Didn't get very far ahead of the baler. The end product was a little slimy but it fed.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:55 am

I like to use the JOBE water float. The mechanism goes under water with a string & ball as a float. Cattle can bob the float around, but cannot make the water keep running.
We are also Upstate NY and let me tell you, he has described our weather to a tee! I have 85 acres of hay ground. We do baleage for 1st cutting. We were able to mow & bale 37 acres, getting 10 bales to the acre - two weeks later than normal (around 6-29). We rutted the sh$t out of our hay field, and have not been able to get into any others since. Luckily, we had 180 bales left over from last year & with the 375 bales we put up, I have enough winter feed. I am grazing some of my hay fields now, but still hoping to put up some of our 1st, 2nd & 3rd cutting (LOL) as dry hay if we could get a break. Had 1" of rain yesterday, in about 20 minutes.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am

Let the cattle trample it flat and call it a soil regeneration season.
0 x
Stocker Steve

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Let the cattle trample it flat and call it a soil regeneration season.

Well, they're pretty much doing that in the grazing fields.
We put down rock and stone in some of the dips and ruts in our farm road. Within days, then had a gully washer down the farm road that moved huge rocks (small boulders) several yards away. Washed away the gravel entirely. Glad we broke our backs for 2 days on that. Farm road is now worse than it was before we "fixed" it. Then came this week's storm:
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 am

Do I see a house behind that tree? At least the tree didn't hit that!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

millstreaminn
Rancher
Rancher

Postby millstreaminn » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:16 am

I feel your pain, Boondocks. I'm in north central Pa so similar weather. I'm fortunate enough to have all my own haying equipment including a wrapper. I've made 160 wrapped and 56 dry (dusty) bales this year. I've got about 15 bales to make and wrap today of second cutting. Even with my own equipment, it's been hard to string a few dry days together even to wrap. Looks like the weather is going to change this weekend with about 6 days of sunny weather in the forecast. Hope to get the rest of the second cutting off and I hope you are able to get some hay in too.
0 x
It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

Return to “Beginners Board”