Bullied Heifers

The place to start if you are new!
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: Bullied Heifers

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 pm

We usually run one herd, and they are always on pasture. Either grazing grass or bale grazing.
There is the odd heifer who hangs back a little, but we always strive to have feed available.
Sounds like you have a space issue.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bullied Heifers

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 am

I had a really shy one this last winter... I kept 4 heifers, and one was just incredibly pushy... I split the two bossier ones and put them in with the 2 year olds for a month, where they learned some manners, and the two shyer ones got along alright.. then I brought the #2 in the pecking order back in, and things seemed to work alright, then after they were all settled into the new routine, I brought bossy back.. and all 3 of them beat the tar out of her.. Shy one still is at the bottom of the pile, but bossy is now #3 and not so full of herself anymore. Once they're a year old they go with the cows on pasture and there's no trouble out there.. Come their second winter, I'll probably feed them separately as their own group
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Beginners Board”