New Caregiver

Help Support CattleToday:

Highpoint

Reaction score
Really my son has the cattle and hired a part time cowboy to build fences, ect. Nine cows and one bull have been put on our 50 acres and my husband and I are learning to care for them and the pasture. It is an enormous learning curve and one of the biggest huddles is not being afraid to get out of the truck or kaboda due their size. Last year I did not help other than I learned how to bottle feed two calves and one was taken back to it's mom within a few days.

The first four have just had new calves and love watching them and in fact I almost ran over one while spraying.

Over the last three years, we have tried to clean up the pastures as we are back to back of Kaw Lake in Oklahoma and the land sat unused for seven years and the pasture was a horrible mess with many trees that had to be taken out and ponds dug. They had tried to find time to burn but because of neighbors wasn't possible as yet so I mow and this year finishing up on trying out a soil amendment product but have no idea what to watch for - but will see.

I sure appreciate this site and all the information.

Sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing, keep at it, one foot after the other.

What type of soil ammendment are you using? We have a lot here that they sell by testimonials but not a lot of science to them and you don't get the results that the testimonials suggest.

Ken

Hi wbvs58, I cannot give a testimonial because I just started putting it on a couple of months ago and have had to go back and put the microbes because the first time I did not understand they needed to sprayed with it. They sent the microbes free and I grow them in the garage. Also, cannot use with chlorinated water so we go to town and fill the sprayer with pond water (large pond at the business building). I have called OSU and other places to find research on the product because it is so new and we are the first to test their product on pasture. The ingredients is fulvic and when I shared that the lab test showed 28-30% no one would believe me on linkedin (which the agriculture part has gone down hill). I did find research in Australia and a little in California. Most fulvic is made by coal or shale but this is a liquefied tree and I guess it may be organic but has not yet had the approval because the process takes time. I thought about taking pictures as things change and put online. In Australia test report it showed dairy cattle produced more milk, had less flies, ect and this part so far is true but the rest we will see. In Kansas on wheat the farmer produced 20 more bushel to the acre.

Latest posts