EPD graphs

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

EPD graphs

Postby farmguy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:47 pm

In the Hereford breed there is an EPD graph I find very handy to compare one bull against others and all in the breed. I have two questions. First do other breeds have something similar that is easy to compare and if not what do they have? Second I find EPDs hard to understand in that a small bull can have a positive EPD for weaning weight when I see he has a low frame score and a high frame score bull can also have a positive EPD for weaning weight although larger. The calves sired by the smaller bull will produce lower weaning weights on my cows so how can he have a positive EPD for WW? I realize that a smaller animal may be more profitable and desirable especially in some environments. To me it is nice to look at several AI bulls and say hey I am breeding heifers so let's compare birth weight or my cows could have better udders so let's compare udder EPDs on these different bulls. You Hereford guys does any one use the EPD graph or other breeders do you use something similar? I am adding a EPD graph of an AI bull if it works.

0 x

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: EPD graphs

Postby farmguy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 pm

Anyone know how to get the pic bigger?
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: EPD graphs

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:05 pm

Yes, Angus also use the easier to compare graph, although they don't have the pretty colors Hereford use.

The only explanation I can offer for smaller frame bull beating larger frame sires in weaning weight would be the
offspring of the smaller framed sire have more rapid early growth and the offspring of the larger frame bull should
almost always surpass them in yearling weight and certainly in carcass weight.

Perhaps some smaller frame bull's offspring use the energy for body weight gain while the larger frame bull's offspring
are using the energy for frame growth and bone grows at a slower rate than body fat and muscle?
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”